It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
(male)

thewisher HB User
eating affects my eye? salivary glands swollen, dental problems? Thanks

Hello, has anybody ever heard of this....I've asked some people at my job who are much older and snaggle toothed and they act as if they have never experienced this.....Basically when I eat certain foods, in particular anything hard (chips, fries) or anything thats like sand (inside of cookies) my left eye gets irritated. When I eat those types of food my left eye feels stressed, heavy and gets redder than my right eye. Infact on any day I can put eye drops in both eyes and the left eye will always look more reddish. Also when i eat on my left side sometime my left ear starts feeling clogged, sometimes it feels like the food is going straight to my cheeks. My diabetes test came back good, but if I eat anything sweet on the left side of my mouth, i'll instantly get sleepy. A few months ago I had 6 teeth removed, that was suppose to get rid of all my bad teeth. On the bottom left side I basically have no teeth, but all on top. Same thing on right side. BUT, my right eye doesn't get irritated when I eat. Anybody ever heard of this, know what's the problem, solution? anything Thanks

i'm in my 20s, a little over a year ago I developed swollen lymph nodes under my chin, jaw, and back of neck. I just noticed all 5 nots basically go in a circular line-meaning I can put my finger on a swollen lymph node and basically run my finger in a circle around my head and touch all the swollen nodes without taking my finger out of line.

A few months ago a co-worker told me his glands under his chin swelled because of mouth infections. So I went to the dentist and they removed 6 teeth in one day. 2 teeth were in my gums, 2 abscess, etc.. My coworker said the swelling should go down after 2 weeks. They prescribed me penicillin after the removal of the 6 teeth. 3 months went by and swelling under my chin actually looks worse now.

So next I go to the doctor. He said it could be sinus infection and prescribed amoxicillin. After taking it for 7 days the swelling didn't appear to go down.
I went back and the Doctor took blood. Checking for HIV, lupus, leukemia, infection, etc.........Everything came back negative, the doctor said there's no strain on my immune system, my blood count looks great and he didn't believe there's an infection. He wouldn't even prescribe me anymore antibiotics, he did refer me to an ent saying it could be from sinus blockage or something.

I go to the e.n.t. (ear nose throat doctor). He confirmed my salivary glands are swollen, he stuck a tube down my throat, also checked for bumps and puss, he said everything is fine, there's no infection. He laughed and said many people get that double chin look as they get older, i told him my brother who's 4 years older and others in my family don't have this double chin, i'm in my late 20s. I do smoke cigarettes, usually 5 packs a week. I drink vodka moderately, maybe 4oz mixed with orange juice 3 or 4 times a week. I don't drink much water. Actually i've probably drunk less than 4 gallons of water in the past 2 years of my life. So the e.n.t. told me drink more water, try to stop smoking and minimize alcohol. If I did those 3 things do ya'll think my swollen glands would return to normal, I bought the patch to stop smoking I once stopped for 3 weeks and didn't see any improvement in my swollen glands. I wasn't eating healthy or drinking water.

Could the swelling in my salivary glands be because of my mouth problems? if so what's the solutions? Thanks for all the help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
(male)

thewisher HB User
Re: eating affects my eye? salivary glands swollen, dental problems? Thanks

anybody? thanks

Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
(female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User

I am sorry you are having issues and no one seems to know what is going on. I know the feeling. Mine isn't as extreme as yours but there are times when I know that my salivary gland will get swollen. I have quit smoking two and half months ago and besides my coffee in the morning I don't drink anything other than water. I eat pretty healthy and I still have the issue. I honestly wish I was able to tell you why it is happening or how to fix the situation but I am still working with my dentist to see what the problem is. I hope things get better for you .

Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
(male)

thewisher HB User

thanks for your response, i went to the dentist yesterday, they couldn't really tell me anything except I have periodontal disease which can cause that. I smoke and drink, so that can cause it, especially since there's an infection in my gums. I'm confident that with a lifestyle change, and getting my mouth fixed my problem will be fixed soon. I feel as if i'm seeing some small changes since i stopped drinking, smoking and started drinking water, fruits, and taking vitamins. I've only been doing this for 4 days but the glands on my left side under chin seems to have shrunk! My dentist also told me I have 2 cavities on the upper left side of my mouth, those are connected to my sinus, pus came out of one, so he's saying that could be the reason my eyes and ears get irritated when i eat.

We have to continue with our lifestyle changes and God will bless us. Thanks

Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
(female)

katierob HB User

Hello!

Long term use of Nictone and Alcohol does have devistating effects on the gum tissue, you are more pre disposed to periodontal disease and long term use it can destroy your salivary glands. The difference between a smoker and non smokers mouth is huge, not to mention delayed wound healing, bleeding tendency and implant failure.

It is GREAT that you have quit smoking and drinking. Some people are more pre-disposed to periodontal disease and if you add things like alchohol and nicotine to the mix it can accelerate the process. People tend to seperate the mouth or teeth from other parts of the body, truth is everything is very closely connected and an infection in the mouth can affect the salivary glands and the infection can spread to the heart or brain if left. Thats why an abcess must never be ignored.

You should keep your mouth as clean as possible, see a periodontist for deep cleanings regularly and I am sure you will see a continous improvement with your issue!

Good luck and I hope you are sorted out soon

Last edited by Administrator; 07-03-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
(male)

thewisher HB User

thanks KatieRob, do you know how long it usually takes for salivary glands to return to normal? Also my dentist said I have a cavity that puss came out of when he stuck it. But, he said its not an abscess. He said that's probably what is causing my eye irritation and ear clog on the left side of my face. Is it possible that the cavities on my upper left side and periodontal disease can be the cause of swollen glands on both sides under my chin? thanks

Old 06-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
(female)

katierob HB User

There could be a few reasons for your swollen glands. You could have a blockage in your salivary gland on the left side and that can cause the swelling and pain during eating. Certain foods like salty foods and even rough foods increase your saliva production (its called an unconditional reflex and its normal) and if you have a blockage the duct and gland can fill with saliva and that can be infected and therefore the result would be swollen salivary glands. I would imagine if that was the case the ENT would of picked that up?

Are you taking any medication for anything? Certain medications can cause insufficient saliva flow and can also result in salivary gland swelling. Do you have a dry mouth?
Do you have any other conditions? Certain health conditions can also affect saliva flow.

As for the pus coming out of the cavity, pus is always a sign of infection. Has your dentist tried to rectify it? Have they been cleaned and fixed? You should also be prescribed a special mouth wash. I would presume x-rays were taken to see the extent of the infection? An infection should never be left untreated.

Periodontal disease can also be the cause for your swollen glands. If that’s the case, you should see a periodontist to help eliminate the periodontal infection. They would do root planning which is basically a deep clean. You would need to keep your mouth as clean as possible, brushing and flossing and regular visits to your periodontist and follow all instructions they give you. Your infection will get a lot better and then your glands should then get better.

I am just curious as to what your Dentist has told you on how to proceed? Has he/she referred you to a periodontist.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
(male)

thewisher HB User

thanks again, yes my dentist has asked that I come back next week for a deep scale clean, next week he wants to do 1 side, the following week the other side, then 2 fillings. Then a crown, then a partial for the missing teeth on both sides in the back of my mouth. My problem is, money is getting tight and if this cleaning isn't going to fix my gland swelling then I would wait to do it. They prescribed me some antibiotics which he said should help the infection.

Far as the e.n.t. this was my first time going, and I don't know if they did all they were suppose to do. He looked down my nose, prescribed me a mild steroid spray because he said the right side is blocked. I just know my ears feel clogged but he said he could see all the way to my drums and there's no wax blocking. I don't understand that, because i've bought some expensive ear drops,place it in my ear and the liquid never seems to make it through. They put me in a booth to check my hearing and it was excellent. He felt my glands, opened my mouth, stuck something in there and said he didn't see an infection. he said if there was an infection, they would be red, pus would come out, or bumps would be present....He also said the glands are very soft so he wasn't worried.

i wasn't taking any meds at the time of the swelling, only now i'm taking antibiotics, vitamins, and nose spray. I don't seem to have a dry mouth, this year seems my lips get dry a lot and that's new to me, my lips use to never get ashy like in the summer time.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
(female)

katierob HB User

hmmm okay well like I said I think the ENT would of picked up blocked glands. It probably is your periodontitis. However weather your swelling is connected to the periodontitis or not its very important for you to go for the treatment. I know dental care can be hugely costly no matter where you are in the world

The thing with periodontitis is that it an advanced stage of gingitivits (gum disease) and if its left untreated it destroys the soft tissue (gums) and causes bone loss which leads to tooth loss. You are young and want to do all you can to save thest rest of your teeth, so I would suggest the scaling treatment. Ask your dentist if you can pay it off? ask him for the cheapest treatment plan. There are always temporary cheaper options that you can do now and when you can afford it do the costly moer permanent stuff later. But I would highly recommend the clean first - thats priority.

How are you managing to eat without your teeth? if you managing okay maybe you can wait to do the partial denture cause that can cut the cost, and then once you got some money go for the partial denture.

I really hope you get it sorted. If it helps you any when I was younger I didnt look after my teeth, I drank a TON of soda and at the age of 24 I had to have large 5 crowns, 4 fillings, one root canal, and one tooth extracted which I now have an implant in. My gums werent do great either, I didnt have periodontitis but they were mildly inflammed. It scared the HELL out of me that I became obessed (in a good way) with cleaning. I floss every single day without fail, I brush twice a day, I use mouth wash and go for regular cleanings at the hygienist, I stopped the soda. I made these changes about 4years ago and my dentist actually told me the other day that my mouth is incredibly clean, that my gums are exceptionally healthy and he said that I clean better than most dentists do themselves. My oral hygienest also said its such a pleasure to clean my mouth cause its so clean. So hang in there...with a bit of determination you will come right.

I wish you all the best, keep me posted.

My problems with my teeth is what got me interested in doing a lot of research on these subjects and I ask a lot of questions I am passionate about helping others so seriously hang in there I think once you deal with your perio problems you will see a big difference in your swollen glands!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-03-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Closed Thread