It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

SquishyCass HB User
Mouth Ulcers after wisdom teeth removal

Hello.
So on friday afternoon I had all four wisdom teeth removed. I went under general anesthetic to have this procedure done, as I have had two root canal therapies before, and I did not like the sound of the drills etc at all.
So apparently surgery went well. I stopped bleeding that night. I was too groggy to remember to ice my face, so now (wednesday night) it is only just going back down to normal and I have slight bruising down my jawline onto my neck. Anyway, I have researched everything that I have been feeling whilst recovering.. and it seems as though I am healing just fine. Only, I now have these two ulcers on my top and bottom lips... in opposite corners of my mouth, which is making eating, drinking and talking quite hard, as they get in the way of my teeth.

I don't really know how I got these ulcers in my mouth, but I am going to go ahead and assume it was from where the mouth prop device was that they use to keep your mouth open ... and from when I woke up mid way through the surgery to hear the dental assistant say either 'Why are you crying?' or 'Why is SHE crying?' (Either way I woke up, vaugley remember hearing someone acknowledge I was waking, the sound of the drill, a little tugging in my mouth on the left side, then I was asleep again.) and trying to instinctively close my mouth...

So anyway, I remember getting home on the friday to realise that I had a slight 'laceration' if you will, inside my mouth on my bottom lip to the left, starting at almost the bottom of the inside of the lip and going all the way up my lip out to the outside below where my lip ends... (if that makes sense?) Anyway I didn't think it was actually that bad. Only now, on Wednesday, does it feel horrible! My lip has puffed up, I've got a scab forming on the outside part of it, and when I wake up in the morning it feels kind of 'pus' like. Almost as if it is infected? Or blistered? I mean, I have had ulcers before, but never one that was as big as this and stretched as far as it does.
I also have another ulcer in my mouth, on the inside top right lip.
I wil also assume that was from the mouth device thingy.
Thankfully, it is not as large, and seems more like a regular ulcer than the other one.

I am sorry this post is so long, I just don't know what to do about my situation. I have tried warm salty water, vegemite (i'm australian!) and even used a cotton bud and antiseptic mouthwash to put on it, to at least numb it. I also have that "cankerX" topical gel type stuff that creates a barrier layer, but it seems to dissolve after a few minutes... even after leaving it on there for the two minutes to dry.! I am on antibotics already, since I got my wisdom teeth out. And I am going to go back to the dentist tomorrow to have him have a look at it for me... he said he might give me stronger antibiotics, but I don't really want stronger ones... my body is easily suceptible to the 'side effects' of strong antibiotics as a woman... I would rather not go down that vicious cycle.
Anyway, what other home remedies do you guys use for mouth ulcers... especially large ones which you wish to be rid of by the weekend! ???

Help please, I'd like to go back to eating SOLID foods by the weekend, as I am attending a two day festival and don't want to be run down for that!

Thanks, Cassie.
PS SORRY ITS SO LONG! THANK YOU FOR READING!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread