It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
(female)

dogeyed HB User
Partial plate versus dentures

i'm trying to get around dentures for my upper teeth. I sometimes wear a partial with teeth on it, but since I have my four front teeth, lots of times I go around without the plate. A crisis has arised concerning losing more teeth in the front.

Here is what I have that's real up there: Four twice-filled front teeth, two on left are good, two on right may need pulling becuz of bad cavities and becuz my dentist says so. On both back sides, I have one good crowned molar on the right, and one left molar that probably can either be filled or crowned...it's starting to erode at gumline. The plate wraps around those molars just fine now. Questions: (1) Whenever you lose more teeth, do you have to always get a new plate, or can they add teeth to the existing plate? (2) Also, is there such a thing as wiring or otherwise attaching a couple new front teeth to the adjacent existing twice-filled front teeth (so I can continue not wearing my plate sometimes)?

Thanks so much for any and all replies. My dentist is all set to remove all my top teeth and give me a denture, but I still have good teeth left and want to avoid dentures as long as possible. And especially the crowned right molar, as it chews well against two lower crowned molars.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
(female)

emmababe HB User
Re: Partial plate versus dentures

Hiya, im not sure how it works over there - im from uk. Sometimes extra teeth can be added on to the existing plate (depends on what sort of plate u already have), however it could end up fitting poorly so alot of dentists prefer to make a new one.

Your second question... it is possible to have a bridge made but only if the existing teeth are strong enough, its an expensive option and could shorten the life of the remaining teeth with the extra pressure it would put on them. I would just go for a new plate. The remaining teeth that u have should support it well still. Hope this helps x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

emmababe HB User

Hiya, im not sure how it works over there - im from uk. Sometimes extra teeth can be added on to the existing plate (depends on what sort of plate u already have), however it could end up fitting poorly so alot of dentists prefer to make a new one.

Your second question... it is possible to have a bridge made but only if the existing teeth are strong enough, its an expensive option and could shorten the life of the remaining teeth with the extra pressure it would put on them. I would just go for a new plate. The remaining teeth that u have should support it well still. Hope this helps x

Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
(female)

dogeyed HB User

Thanks, you did help, I'm trying to come to a decision on how to handle this, and you have given me some information that I didn't know about.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

You don't say why you don't always wear your partial. Is it because it is uncomfortable, does not fit right or...? As the other reply said, sometimes more teeth can be added to an existing partial but quite often for stability reasons the entire partial needs to be reconfigured. There is another type of denture that might be better for you. I believe it is called cu-sil. It does not have clasps but has gaps in it where natural teeth are and the denture fits over them. I do not know how many teeth you will have remaining but if it is only a few, this may be the answer.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
(male)

JD57 HB User

I spent years and thousands of dollars trying to save my upper teeth.
In the end I had 9 teeth left and all of them were alittle loose because of
the bridges and other things they did.
Getting a complete upper denture was the best thing I did.
No more pain was the best thing about it, it takes about 6 months
to heal completely but was def worth it.
I wish I had done it 10 years earlier.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

dogeyed HB User

Dear Sandybeech,
Your information on cu-sil was so interesting. I especially like the roof-less part it. And yes, once the dentist pulls the two front teeth, I'll have at least one molar and two other front teeth left, possibly an additional molar on the other side, so since I have very few teeth left, this is the solution. I assume I can take it out whenever I want? And also, I wonder how much they cost? Do you know? You asked how come I don't like my partial, and it's because it's hard to talk cuz it covers roof and never has fit exactly right and food gets stuck in there. Thank you SO much for your info and thanks for any answers to my new questions.
GG

Last edited by dogeyed; 06-26-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
(female)

dogeyed HB User

Dear JD57,
I appreciate your encouragement in case I wind up with a full denture. Do you think it will chew against my good lower molars fairly well? I'm a big addict to cashews, and since I am a vegetarian it's good protein. I eat them all the time and worry about having to wear the dentures at home. Husband takes his out.
GG

Old 06-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #9
(male)

JD57 HB User

I can eat most anything with my dentures. I only have 10 teeth on the bottom and I get by fine.
My wife and I both take our dentures out when we are home alone,
it's not really a big deal.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

I have no idea on the cost of those appliances. I wear full upper and lower conventional dentures. It would be worth calling around and seeing about a consultation.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
(female)

dogeyed HB User

Thanks Sandy. Yes, I will contact the cu-sil website, and then visit a dentist here who is familiar with that denture. I have July off, so I'll wait until August to fool with it. I just know it will be too expensive for me, so I am sad, and yet hopeful at the same time, knowing such a fine denture exists.

Closed Thread