It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
(female)

teachinva HB User
Intense pain after root canal

I had a lower left molar with a large amalgam filling, which broke. No pain, but I went to have it fixed. Dentist said it needed a crown and began prep. After beginning he said there was a lot of decay and the tooth needed a root canal. Root canal took three visits, all lengthy. No real pain after first two visits, although temporary crown fell out both times. AFter the third root canal, a more permanent glue was used for the temporary crown. First day I had no pain. Feeling great. Second day started aching, and I began taking Advil every 4 hours. Now it is four days after final root canal visit and the pain is excruciating. Pain runs along jaw line toward ear and the temporary crown causes severe pain if I bite down on it. Over the counter pain meds do not seem to be working. IS THIS NORMAL?

Old 07-31-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Intense pain after root canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachinva View Post
I had a lower left molar with a large amalgam filling, which broke. No pain, but I went to have it fixed. Dentist said it needed a crown and began prep. After beginning he said there was a lot of decay and the tooth needed a root canal. Root canal took three visits, all lengthy.
I wonder why your root canal took THREE visits, and mine took only one, two-hour visit? Plus.... mine was complicated because the dental surgeon had to work thru a very small opening in the top of my existing crown.

Quote:
No real pain after first two visits, although temporary crown fell out both times.
That doesn't sound right?! Does your dentist do crowns very often? There are a lot of bad dentists and doctors. Hopefully that is not the case with your dentist.

Quote:
AFter the third root canal, a more permanent glue was used for the temporary crown. First day I had no pain. Feeling great. Second day started aching, and I began taking Advil every 4 hours. Now it is four days after final root canal visit and the pain is excruciating. Pain runs along jaw line toward ear and the temporary crown causes severe pain if I bite down on it. Over the counter pain meds do not seem to be working. IS THIS NORMAL?
To me, it is definitely not normal! Worst case, it could be an infection. It could be that the dentist did not get all of the infection rooted out and the infection is spreading. If it were me, I would not take any chances having the type of increased and troubling symptoms and pain your are experiencing. The pain is telling you that something is definitely wrong, IMHO.

I recently had a root canal on May 24th, 2010. It wasn't a run-of-the-mill root canal since he had to drill thru an existing crown. The dental surgeon came highly recommended, and had already done more than 1000 root canals, so I knew that I was in good hands.

He had to drill out four roots, since it was a top, right molar. I suffer from Heart Failure, and I experienced breathing problems during the entire root canal since I had to lie there on my back for two long hours! Needless to say, it was quite a difficult time for me.

He found out that the infection in the roots had spread into my gum and into my jaw. He cleaned up as much of the infection as he could, and then re-sealed the crown. He did a GREAT job! Wonderful. Very little discomfort after the root canal was over. No pain medication needed at all!

I was on antibiotics (Keflex) for several weeks after, to get rid of the gum and jaw infection. Now that the infection is gone my overall health is much improved, which comes as a big surprise.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-31-2010 at 05:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
(female)

ump123 HB User

Since you say it hurts worse when you bite down, it may be that the temporary crown's occlusion is high. That can be causing periodontal problems and soreness. I would not let the dentist cement the final crown until the pain diminishes.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

teachinva HB User

I went back to the dentist and the bite was too high. He drilled off excess material on the temporary crown, and there was INSTANTrelief. Every time I swallowed or bit down, I was aggravating the area and that is why it was increasingly painful. Now I just have to wait for the root canal to fully heal, then he'll finish with the permanent crown.

Closed Thread