It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
(male)

Shepperton HB User
Dry mouth after brushing with toothpaste

Why am I the only person I know who gets a dry dehydrated-feeling mouth after brushing? Also there seems to be very little online about this problem. Usually drinking a fair amount of water can reduce the dryness. If I don't drink the dryness seems to be maintained until I do, and I would begin to feel fairly anxious. I guess it is not a major problem, but my main concern was that some chemical in the toothpaste was reacting negatively with my mouth and thus possibly by extension with other parts of my system. I would get diarrhoea at times also.
Changing toothpastes seems to have no effect as they all produce the same dry thirsty reaction.
Anyone else got this problem?

Old 08-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Dry mouth after brushing with toothpaste

Do you use a mouthwash after brushing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
You may be using a toothpaste with sorbitol. Sorbitol has been known to give some people diarrhea and dry mouth.

See if you can find a toothpaste with no sorbitol. It is an artificial sweetener.

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Gellia

Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
(male)

Shepperton HB User

Ok thanks for the replies. I don't use a mouthwash no. I'll look into the sorbitol suggestion, I hadn't considered it before. Thanks again!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
(female)

desigrl HB User

Have you tried toothpaste without SLS? Sodium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfate?

Old 06-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
(male)

Engineer1 HB User

Hello: I just joined this health forum and do not know how to post or contact people who have posted before.

I stumbled across the above posting by a member with username Shepperton, which was posted several months ago. I have had exactly the same trouble and symptoms with tooth pastes. It appears almost all toothpaste brands started adding something into their tooth pastes a few years ago and this makes my mouth extremely dry at night. If I sleep through this, my jaw becomes tense and I may even be grinding teeth in sleep and wake up with a pain in my jaw and sometime a headache. I would like to find out if Shepperton was able to find a solution to the problem but do not know how to contact him?

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-25-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Closed Thread