It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

angkim HB User
Unhappy 23yrs old, deep teeth cleaning & Gum grafting

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I am 23 years old and have been living on my own since I was 18. I could not afford dental insurance and have not gone to a dentist in about 5 years. I regularly brushed my teeth and flossed and also didn't know I was supposed to get my teeth cleaned biannually. Had I known, I would have paid out of pocket for biannual teeth cleaning.

I signed up for a very basic dental insurance that pretty much only covers cleaning, xrays and exams. I went to the dentist yesterday who had high ratings on yelp. He and his staff were very nice and lectured me that I shouldn't have avoided going to a dentist just because I had no dental insurance. He said that if I lose my teeth when I get older, I can never get it back.

He said because of that I needed deep teeth cleaning instead of a regular clenaing. He also went over my xray and showed me that I had 4 cavities that were forming and I needed to get that done. Also when I told him one of my upper tooth was sensitive, he took a picture of the tooth and showed me that I've been brushing my teeth too hard and that my gum had receded. Because gums don't grow back, he said that I need gum grafting and that Dr. H (his wife) is amazing at it (the before and after pictures around the office did look amazing for gum grafting but then again the before pictures of the teeth seemed to be in pretty bad condition compared to mine).

At the end he Rxed Prevident (strong dossage of flouride) to brush my teeth with before I go to sleep so I can try to prevent other cavities that are about to form.

When I sat down with the treatment financing lady, she saw that my basic HMO insurance did not cover any of the fillings for posterior teeth or any of the procedures that the Dr wanted me to get done. I wanted to get the tooth colored composite and she said I had to pay $185 per cavity for 4 cavities to total of $740. Then, the gum grafting would be $945 out of pocket. She said this isn't as urgent as the cavities if I wanted to keep my original teeth in the long run. Then she has given me a quote for the scaling and planing (deep teeth cleaning) for $290 total for 4 quadrants.

I definitely wanted to get my cavities taken care of for sure and made an appt to get the first two taken care of next week but I just wanted to see if all this sounds right (ie. the cost of all the prcedures, 23yr old getting a deep teeth cleaning, and especially the gum grafting). I told my boyfriend and he was very skeptical of the Dr's recommendations and prices. I've been trying to google forums about prices and recommendations but haven't found anything solid. I was fortunate enough to find this forum to post my question. Any advice, comments would really help! Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!

Last edited by angkim; 09-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
(female)

ump123 HB User
Re: 23yrs old, deep teeth cleaning & Gum grafting

Try switching to a sensitive toothpaste like Sensodyne. That should help with the sensitivity on the molar. The fluoride Rx will also help with sensitivity. I wouldn't get the gum surgery unless it is really bothering you. Just be sure to keep that area clean so you do not get decay there. Definitely get the cavities filled before they get worse and you end up needed something more extensive such as a root canal treatment.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

Everything sounds right I suppose. Can't really tell without xrays, but after 5 years of neglect, I guess the recommendations fit. I would also first go with getting the cavities filled, as that is the most important thing. And if anything, the deep cleaning as well.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
(female)

angkim HB User

ump123 and curly fry, thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm first going to get my cavities filled and then the deep cleaning and possibly the gum grafting..

Old 09-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
(female)

missing9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angkim View Post
Then she has given me a quote for the scaling and planing (deep teeth cleaning) for $290 total for 4 quadrants.
I think she meant $290 per quadrant. I paid about $1,200 for a full mouth scaling and root planing.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

I have to agree with missing9. RP&S usually runs about $250 -300 per quadrant.
I paid $300 per quadrant for mine.

Perhaps your dentist meant just a thorough cleaning by his hygienist. That may run the $290 for a whole mouth. Root planning and scaling is considered a surgical procedure but not as deep as when they do surgery on the gums themselves.

You may want to clarify that before you start.

Gellia

Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
(female)

fea1010 HB User

Please get a second opinion. If you don't have actual cavities, you might consider the cleaning first; sometimes the cleaning reveals further brewing, more urgent problems and potential cavities might never happen. You should be seen by a reputable periodontis(sp?) and remember dentistry is a business like any other. I speak from personal experience..........

Closed Thread