It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
(male)

MikeinMaryland HB User
Exclamation Pain and swelling after wisdom tooth extraction

I am posting this with hopes it will help someone. If my
Oral surgeon had initially put me on heavy duty antibiotics I could have avoided this whole ordeal. Trust your instincts, find another oral surgeon, get a second opinion NOW. I'm serious. If I had not waited 6 weeks and instead seek a second opinion in two or three weeks I wouldn't know what OM even is.

My troubles started when my great dentist continually hounded me to get my wisdom teeth extracted.

After 3 years of putting it off, I finally tool the plunge and went to the Oral surgeon he recommended.

The upper and lower teeth were to be extracted. The lower tooth took over an hour to get out. The upper was out in about 5 minutes.

A week later, the lower was swollen and in a lot of pain. Oral surgeon said there is no infection, the pain and swelling is the new bone forming a bony callous.

I went back every ten days or so. The pain was
severe and did not improve.

When my friends would ask me about it, I told them
It felt like someone laid my head against a curb, took a running start, then kicked me in the mouth with a super follow through getting every bit of their foot in it.

Back to the Oral surgeon, same song and dance... Big tooth, bony callous forming " no, I will not prescribe any additional pain killer mess " ( he wrote 25 pills of Percocet initially telling me to take Motrin and Tylenol for pain.

Finally, after week 5 the pain and swelling was
Gone. I thought I was healed.

In fact, I went back to the doctor to thank him for his confidence, that I was sure I had an infection.

Three days later, my lip and chin started feeling numb. I asked my primary care doctor what I should do. She said to go back to the surgeon, that he's going to know the best.

I went back to the Oral surgeon. After he heard about the numbness, he took a Panex. Mynah showed " mottling " in my lower jaw bone.

At this point he sent me to the University hospital suspecting Osteomyelitis. The University doc ordered an X-ray ( X-ray didn't show anything new ).

Now the doc ordered a test called an cat test. I paid cash for that test ( it was $300 ).

That test clearly showed bone loss. Major bone loss.

Now he ordered surgery on Tuesday. ( that was 4 days after he saw me for the first time ).

The surgery happened in the shock trauma O.R. He made an incision under my jaw on the neckline, screwed in a
Titanium plate, removed the dead bone.
I am being treated by an infectious disease doctor. They are going to send me home with a PICC line.

Hoping and praying for the best.

Last edited by MikeinMaryland; 09-16-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
(male)

MikeinMaryland HB User
Re: Pain and swelling after wisdom tooth extraction

Update one week after my operation. The numbness is still very much pronounced. It's probably in my head but it doesn't seem to be improving much if at all.

My jaw does not hurt like it did before...well that makes sense, it's no longer fractured and all the dead and infected bone was shaved out.

I still can't believe this happened from a routine Wisdom tooth extraction. I never gave that a second thought, just like going to a cleaning I never gave that a second thought.

I'm taking IV anti-biotics once per day. The medicine is called " Ertapenem " or " Invanz ".

So far, I'm not feeling much better...I am real tired all the time ( but, that could be my newborn too ). I also get cold a lot. Like the chills kind of cold.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
(male)

MikeinMaryland HB User

It's going on 3 weeks since the surgery and picc line daily infusions. Feeling is coming back in my lips and mouth. Follow up with university doc tomorrow. So far so good.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
(female)

caisaco HB User

Dang bud I just got mine out 8 days ago.. I have an infection and the ooze coming out is horrible D:
Missing school from oozing is just the best.. not

Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
(male)

MikeinMaryland HB User

That's not normal. Call your Oral surgeon.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

My dear wife had a wisdom tooth out yesterday; it was not impacted but the roots were curved so it did not come out without a struggle.
She is feeling somewhat delicate today, but still talking so could be worse.
In the UK, NICE, the National Institute for Clinical Excellence has said that symptom-free wisdom teeth should be left alone. It seems that Mike's experience bears this out.

Closed Thread