It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
(female)

heltonkm HB User
Unhappy Getting 15 teeth extracted... I'm terrified!

Hi, I am new here. I will be going in on Thursday to get all 15 of my upper teeth removed for dentures. I will not be getting immediate dentures as I have never liked my teeth and would like to pick out the ones I like. My dentist told me that, if all goes well, I should only be without teeth for about 3 weeks! Anyway, I am terrified of getting the extractions done. Every time I think about it, I have an anxiety attack. The dentist office blocked out 3 hours for my appointment, only because that will allow for me to take breaks as needed. I was wondeing how long it should take for them to pull out all of my teeth? Some of them are surgical extractions. I'm honestly scared to death at the thought of going in to get this done. I know that it will be done and over with and that I will have the teeth I've always wanted in a few weeks, but the procedure itself scares me. The dentist has prescribed valium for me to take the night before and the morning of my appointment. Has anyone else had success using valium. I've never had it before and I'm worried that it won't work and that I will be having a panic attack the whole time I'm in there. Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
(female)

heyyou1263 HB User
Re: Getting 15 teeth extracted..I'm terrified!

It is scary, and stressful just thinking about it...I always took valium before going to dentist it will help relax you.
9 days ago I had 12 upper teeth pulled..and immediate dentures put in and I got the teeth and color I wanted. I asked for smaller teeth as I felt my true teeth were too large for my face and I got smaller normal looking teeth now!!
my appointment was for 1pm..I took the valium at 12:30...when i was called back i was still a bit apprehensive..they put my on laughing gas right away...I sat in the chair and between the valium and the gas...I was falling asleep relaxed!
the dentist came in about 30 minutes after i had been in chair and he numbed my upper teeth...This was very very very painful I wont lie!! but it was over quickly and I was able to relax again for about 15 minutes before he started pulling...
It only took him maybe 30 minutes to pull out the teeth...one was an impacted wisdom
the first few days after i had it done I wasnt sure it was all worth it..but I have a great smile for the first time in my whole life!! No more hiding from cameras anymore!!
I dont think i could have gone without my teeth for 3 weeks as I just dont like the look or the feel of my gums with no teeth..however you may heal faster then I am...Im still very sore..
Good luck and as hard as it is try not to think about it too much...the not knowing is worse the the actual doing!! andmake sure you start on pain pills right away and your antibiotics also!!

Last edited by heyyou1263; 09-19-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2010, 05:51 AM   #3
(female)

heltonkm HB User

Thanks for your reply! I'm not too worried about how I will feel afterward, while I'm healing. I've had teeth extracted before so I pretty much know what to expect. (Just multiplied by 15! HAHA) My main concern is the actual appointment. I never look forward to going to the dentist, even for a cleaning. But, this one really has me scared to death. I go to a wonderful dentist and I know he will take good care of me, I just don't like the idea of having so many teeth pulled at once. They gave me the option to split it into 2 visits and do half the first time and the rest the second, but I would rather just get it all done and over with. If I were to only get half done the first visit, I'm pretty sure I would not want to go back for the rest! This way, it's only one visit...one day of stress and then all I have to concentrate on is healing and getting my new teeth. That part has me excited!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
(female)

heltonkm HB User

Ok...well, tomorrow is the big day. I'm absolutely terrified! I just want this all to be over! I'm still hoping that the valium does something to relieve my anxiety and that the procedure is over quickly. I'm just not sure what to expect. I'll try to get on here and let everyone know how it went for me..when I feel up to sitting at a computer. Something tells me that I will be pretty out of it for a few days, if not from meds, just from the experience.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi again,
The valium should help alot. Did they give you two? If so, take one about an hour before your appt. and the other just before you go. By the time you get there, you won't care if they tell you they have to cut off your head to do the work.

Hardest part for me was the novocaine. After that, it was nothing, No pain, or anything.

Good luck and the very best vibes for tomorrow!!
Let us know how you do.
BTW, I had one of those squeeze balls that the dentist gave me to squeeze. It REALLY helped!
Happy thoughts,
Gellia

Old 09-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Getting 15 teeth extracted... I'm terrified!

Hi,

Do you have a friend that can come with you to the appointment? Did they suggest someone driving you home afterwards?

Please do not be afraid of the valium not working, it will.

The mouth is probably the fastest part of our body to heal. I had 8 teeth extracted, the front upper 4, and the bottom front 4.

The worst thing you can do is work yourself in to a panic attack. Just think of this as the first BIG step in your dream of having beautiful teeth. Since you have thought this all out, you have confidence in your dentist, and the dream of the pretty teeth, hopefully that will help you push right through this.

I have had years and years of medical tests done to me, some painful, and many of them scary. I have found time and time again that the procedures that I get all worked up about are the ones that are a piece of cake!

Good luck tomorrow!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
(female)

heltonkm HB User

Hi again!

The dentist gave me 3 valium....1 for tonight before bed and 2 for me to take an hour before my appointment.

Thank you for all the warm wishes! I'm still terrified, but I know that by this time tomorrow it will be done and I won't have to worry about anymore!

I will let everyone know how it goes!

My husband is taking me so he can drive. I know I'm probably imagining it to be way worse than it will be, but I've had very bad experiences with dentists before and it didn't help my anxiety. I just want to get this over with and be able to concentrate on healing and getting my new teeth! I'm really excited about that part!

Thanks again for the warm wishes! I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Last edited by heltonkm; 09-22-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
(female)

heltonkm HB User

Ok all! I got back from the dentist about 2 hours ago....it went great! I wasn't scared at all...only a little discomfort from the shots, but not bad at all. It took a long time...3 hours....but I had some teeth that were particularly hard to remove. In quite a bit of pain right now....got my percocet, but can't take any more until 7:30pm. My face is swollen pretty bad! I look like a chipmunk!

Thank you to everyone who helped me prepare for this! I'll continue to post my progress.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

So happy to hear it is OVER! And you did great, good job. Thank you for letting us know how you did, and keep us up with your progress. I know I appreciate it very much when people are as thoughtful as you are by following up with the end result of your original post. We always want to know what happens to those who we are trying to help, it makes it more satisfying.

Don't forget, DO NOT USE A STRAW, suck on candy, or anything else until you heal. That includes smoking too. Any sucking inside your mouth could disrupt the formation of scab tissue forming and kept in place until the healing is done. Dislodging any of this fragile tissue could result in dry socket, a very painful thing (I know, had one myself), that you want to avoid.

Somehow I picture you as really cute, with your puffy chipmunk cheeks...but I know it is uncomfortable. I wish your healing to go smoothly and rapidly. Eat lots of ice cream!

I am so happy you made it through with flying colors. How did the valium work for you? It sounds like it did it's magic since you weren't scared.

janet

Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
(female)

heltonkm HB User

Hi Janet!

The valium worked great! I ended up taking 3 instead of 2. When I got there he asked how I was feeling and I said I was still kinda nervous, so he let me take 1 more valium. It worked wonders. After the procedure I told him that it had been the best dental visit I'd ever had, and he couldn't believe that, after having all those teeth pulled, it was still the best experience.

I do know all about not using straws and stuff. I smoke, but haven't had one since yesterday at 8:30 am.....really needing one. The dentist told me to wait 48 hours. So, not too much longer. I know I could probably go ahead and quit smoking while I'm at it, but I'm just not ready yet. I know that I have to be completely ready or it won't work (speaking from experience here). So, that will be something to tackle in the future.

I've only been eating yogurt, pudding, and chicken soup. Drinking lots of water....had some coffee this morning. Boy was that nice! I can't give up my coffee on top of giving up my cigarettes! HAHA It's still kinda hard for me to swallow because my face is so swollen, but I'm trying. I keep putting an ice pack on 20 mins on and 20 mins off. I know it will go away eventually, but right now it's pretty bad.

My husband has been wonderful. He's been taking very good care of me. He even bought me roses! He won't let me get up even to get a glass of water. He tells me "sit down, I'll get it for you"....he wants me to do nothing but rest and get better. He's a wonderful man! It's kinda nice to be taken care of for a change instead of being the one who's always taking care of things! I'm being spoiled!

Thanks for your reply again. I'll keep posting on my progress as often as I can!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 AM   #11
(female)

heltonkm HB User
Talking Re: Getting 15 teeth extracted... I'm terrified!

Hi everyone!

It's been a week and I'm doing much better. Was kinda suprised that I bruised only after the swelling went down! I woke up 3 days ago and had ugly yellow bruises right along my "laugh lines". The bruising is slowly fading now.

I go in today to get the stitches removed, YAY!! I hate them! And I also get to pick out my teeth! I'm pretty excited about it. Haven't been able to eat much. Just soups, yogurt, pudding, and mashed potatoes (really creamy w/ no lumps). I can't wait until I can actually chew things! I am going to really enjoy food after all this!

Anyway, thanks for all your support! Will post again soon!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

That is great news! First of all for having the positive experience with the dentist, and now...healing up nicely. Next you will get your new teeth, and a nice steak dinner!

It is so nice to see someone through a difficult procedure, with a positive outcome. Keep posting, we are interested in the next phase. Janet

Old 09-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
(female)

gizmo95 HB User

hey there, am new 2 this site 2. but have it very helpful 2 talk 2 people in simialr postions.
i got all my top teeth removed 6yrs ago and at first i got very down abt it but after i while i got used 2 the denture.
i was able 2 eat as normal ect
as 4 lengh of time it would take i was in the dentist chair 4 1hr as i got my bk teeth removed 1st then a few wks l8r they took remaing 8 at front so am gussin u would b in 4 abt 2hrs especially if u gettin surigal removal.
hope that everthing goes ok and u will b happy with the result x

Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #14
(female)

heltonkm HB User
Wink Re: Getting 15 teeth extracted... I'm terrified!

Hi all!

I went in last Thursday and tried in my denture...it was the wax one with teeth in it. I had to make sure that the teeth were positioned right and that the color was right. Everything went well. I go in next Tuesday to get my finished denture! I'm really excited! I can't wait to have teeth again! I'm really looking forward to being able to chew!

Thanks for all your help, everyone! It's really nice to have people to talk to when making a huge decision like this!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #15
(female)

heltonkm HB User
Talking Re: Getting 15 teeth extracted... I'm terrified!

Well, I go in today to get my denture!!! I'm really excited!! All I have to do now is adjust to wearing it. I'm so happy I won't be toothless anymore!

Closed Thread