It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
(male)

ParanoidGuy1 HB User
Alternative To Root Canal

Hey everyone,

So I went to my dentist today and apparently I need a root canal done on one of my molars on the left side. I was reading online and apparently root canals increase the risk of you getting cancer. I am not to sure as to what to think. My tooth doesnt hurt but the x-ray did show the damage on the tooth. So I was wondering if someone could help me out as to what else I can do instead of getting a root canal done and also your experiences with Root Canal please?

Old 11-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Alternative To Root Canal

I have never heard of any connection between getting root canal work and cancer.
Personally that makes no sense to me.
I have had root canal work in the past, and they have all been a success. After the anesthesia the procedures didn't even hurt. There is no alternative to having a root canal.
Best wishes with your procedure!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidGuy1 View Post
... what else I can do instead of getting a root canal done
If the molar has no opposing molar on the other jaw, or if you feel that you can do without the molar, you could consider having the tooth pulled instead of fixed.

Quote:
... your experiences with Root Canal please?
My root canal was complicated by having four, tangled, diseased roots. Fortunately, I had a extremely qualified Dental Surgeon, who had performed well over 1000 root canals, and came through an excellent recommendation from my regular, wonderful, gifted dentist.

The Root Canal took about two hours, with me lying on my back with my jaw open. It was not painful, but it also was not fun. I am close to 70, with heart disease, and I had to constantly readjust my body because of stiffness. I also frequently lifted my head, every chance I got, in order to limit stiffness in my neck. I also frequently moved my jaw around to prevent discomfort from holding my mouth open.

That said, he did a very thorough, professional job and I required absolutely no pain medication after the Root Canal, and have had absolutely no problems since, with the tooth or jaw.

I have heard of others having nightmare experiences, after a Root Canal, with inflammation, pain and discomfort, so choose your dental surgeon carefully.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-06-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
(male)

Big Grin HB User

If you are not in pain you can just wait until you are. Only problem is that by then you will probably have more infection. You probably have a small amount of infection now and don't notice it. To know a little bit more, have the dentist show you the X-ray and explain exactly why he is recommending root canal.

Just so you know, with root canal you will probably also need a post and a crown.

As far as root canals go, they are a snap. Nothing to worry about. They are a lot better than they used to be 10 years ago.

I have heard some bad things about getting a root canal. Unfortunately for me, that was before I had about 7. I have had no problems.

Bottom line - You can wait. If and when - root canals are not that big a deal. The whole 9 yards will probably cost you $2,500 - $3,000.

Closed Thread