It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

jerrih HB User
22 teeth pulled and immediate dentures put in

Help! I had 22 teeth pulled 2 days ago. Why is my jaw black and blue. I am swollen too. Right afterwards I could take better than I can now. Today I can hardly talk. When should I remove my dentures? Do I rinse and clean them? I have tons of stitches also. I wasn't given very good instructions on what to do.
Thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to jerrih:
adner7 (11-24-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: 22 teeth pulled and immediate dentures put in

Hi,
After any major work like that it's not unusual to get black and blue and very swollen. Swelling is usually at its worse after about three days, too.

Try sleeping sitting up a bit at night to help reduce the swelling that would occur at night when you lie flat.

As for leaving your denture in. You dentist should have told you how long he wanted it to remain in before taking it out. It is usually about 24-48 hours. Then you should remove it, clean it, brush any remaining teeth in your mouth, and try rinsing with 1/4 tsp of salt in a glass of warm water. This will help keep the extraction sites clean.

Do you have dissoluble stitches or do you have to go back to have them out? Most will start to fall out around the 10 days if they are dissoluble.

You should be eating soft foods for awhile, too. Mashed potatoes in gravy, mac and cheese, Italian pasta dishes. anything that is soft, to minimize any further trauma.

I'm sure there will be others that have had this actually done will come on and answer.
I only had four out at a time and then had implants, but the recovery instructions should be about the same.

Hope this helps until others can answer further.

Best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
natrw (11-21-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

natrw HB User

i just had all mine out and immediate dentures put in,,i went to dentist the next day and they took out denture and had me rinse and now every few hours i take them out and rinse with warm salt water,,and take my antibiotics and pain pills,i take them out at night and in the morning its a lil painful putting the denture back in but it has to be done or alot of people end up not wearing them,after they are in for a lil bit they stop hurting,i just insert very gently and not force it on and walk around and in a few minutes it dont hurt,im still bruised and swollen ,,i had mine done last wednesday,,i think the bruising is from where they hold your face to pull your teeth,,and of course the teeth being pulled..im only a day or so ahead of you and it is a road to take but we can get through it,,one day at a time,i have to go back next wednesday to get stitches out and im hoping the denture doesnt hurt as much,,but they will adjust until they dont hurt,,last night was first night i took them out and i had no pain in my mouth until i put dentures back in this morning,they said take out at night to clean and let the gums heal,,so after im done healing im sure i will only take them ot to clean,!!whenever i feel uncomfortable i take them out and rinse with the salt water and it feels so much better....

Old 11-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
(female)

natrw HB User

oh yea i learned just yesterday that the ice packs only work the first 24 hours,,but i still use it periodically because it feels better.!i also sleep in the recliner,,and ive been living on vanilla activia and boost high protein and cold water..they all make it feel better...any tips i think of il pass you you and anything you find helpful let me know,!!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
(female)

adner7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrih View Post
Help! I had 22 teeth pulled 2 days ago. Why is my jaw black and blue. I am swollen too. Right afterwards I could take better than I can now. Today I can hardly talk. When should I remove my dentures? Do I rinse and clean them? I have tons of stitches also. I wasn't given very good instructions on what to do.
Thank you
So sorry! I haven't heard of that being done since the early 1900's - it was a regular thing then. Go to another dentist or hospital for help.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
(female)

eyesgirlbrown HB User

It looks to me like some of you are just a little bit ahead of me on getting your teeth pulled, so I would like to share with you and ask for all the advice I can get. I only had 7 taken out this time but that is because of my last dentist. By the time he was done with the first 7 it had been three long hours!!!! I should let you know they medicate me just to get me in the dentist chair. Needless to say I never got my immediate dentures then. Neither could I bring myself to ever go back. Three years later and well letís just say they had to come out.
Well to make a very long story short I found a dentist who worked with me on payments and worked on gaining my trust. I did not know they even existed, yet I found one. So she has now deep cleaned all eight of my bottom, restored four of them and put a crown on the only remaining back tooth I had. I did just fine with her, she talked me threw everything.
One Tuesday at 10 am I walked in to have them pulled she had called a surgern in to remove them as most were broke to the gum line. The worst thing was the shots but then again this surgern explained everything he was doing as he was numming. Yes it hurt but I think it helped knowing what he was doing and why. I was out of the chair in exactly 20 mins from the time he started!!!!!!!!!!! He even stitched me up.
It has been 4 days now and I am just wondering when you were able to chew with your teeth? I have been without for so long that I was chewing on one side only before this. Now I can not even put a spoon in my mouth with out my gums really hurting. I am licking the spoon to get the food in. I know it is all about getting used to using my denture, I just would like to have a basic idea on how long before I can start to at less try to use them.
I do not have my bottom partial yet because of insurance issues but will have them right after the New Year. So until then I only have my front bottom teeth. I have done a lot of reading about dentures and they say to chew evenly on both sides so that you do not pop them out. Well how do I do that? There is a big part of me that is saying just take the things out and eat the way you always have, yet I Want to eat like a normal person. I have had messed up teeth for so long that when I look in the mirror I do not even know who this person is anymore.
Will I ever feel like these are really my teeth?

Closed Thread