It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
(female)

Kate81282 HB User
Cavity Filled - Now tooth pain

Hi,

I知 hoping I can get some help on this issue.

I go to the dentist regularly and they took Xrays and found I had a cavity in my upper right back molar. I made an appointment to get it filled and they told me it did hit up against a filling from years before. I wanted a composite filling and since my old filling was silver they said it would be no problem they would just drill it out and replace the whole thing with a composite filling.

I got the tooth filled and as my Novocain wore off that afternoon I felt a lot of pain, every time I bit down I had a shooting pain which felt like it which right up into my brain, like a nerve pain. I called the dentist and she told me it was probably post operative pain and this was normal for composite fillings (although I have never had a problem after a filling before) and that it would get better over time. The pain continued and after a week of suffering every time I ate or accidently bit down I went in to see her again and she adjusted the bite. This did not help. After another week of pain I went back again and she drilled the whole thing out and replaced it with a temporary filling to see if that would make the pain go away. This time when the Novocain wore off the pain was so bad I was in tears. The next day I went back she drilled out the whole thing again and very carefully refilled the whole tooth. It has now been about a month since then. I can still not bite down or chew on the right side of my mouth at all. After eating only on the left side of my mouth for this long my gums are starting to get irritated and sensitive.

It was also mentioned to me by the dentist at one of these visits I might have a fracture in the tooth, but there was no way for them to tell. I had no pain at all in the tooth before my filling. Is it possible my tooth was cracked during the filling? Is there any way to tell if that happened? Also, could there have been a fracture I did not feel prior and could become very painful after I got a filling? Could I now need a root canal?

I知 not sure what is going on and what could be causing this. Can anyone help out with an opinion?

Thanks so much!
Kate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
(female)

BrandedPrincess HB User
Re: Cavity Filled - Now tooth pain

Hi Kate,

I think you should go to another dentist and get another opinion. To me, it sounds like the dentist messed up. Either drilling too far into the tooth or causing a fracture. Something happened because this isn't normal. I don't think your dentist is going to fess up to you to be honest. You are better off going to another dentist and explaining the situation to see what they have to say. If your dentist couldn't give you answers or solutions, your better off going to someone else. I wouldn't wait too long because if something serious happend, you want to catch it in time to do something before things get worse.

Here is some information on fractured teeth. See if you can compare your experiences:

How do I know if my tooth is Cracked or Fractured?

Does your tooth feel like it "zaps" you when bite on it? Well, that's not enough to know it's cracked or fractured. Unfortuantely, cracked and fractured teeth exhibit a variety of symptoms. If your tooth is cracked/fractured, you might feel occasional pain when chewing, particularly between bites as you release the pressure on your teeth. You might also feel pain when you eat or drink something hot or cold. Cracks and fractures are fairly difficult to diagnose because the pain comes and goes, and cracks/fractures only rarely show up on x-rays. Because of this, you may see your dentist several times before the crack is diagnosed.

How can you check to see if my tooth has a crack and/or fracture?

No single test or technique provides the correct diagnosis 100% of the time. In fact, if a restoration is present, it can become quite difficult to diagnose without removing the restoration or drilling a hole into the tooth. Most of the time we use a transilluminating light and see if the light transmits from one side of the tooth to the other. Of course, fillings don't transmit the light the same so it's even harder to tell when cracks or fractures are present in teeth with restorations. A trained eye can spot the difference.

Don't all Cracked/Fractured teeth hurt?

Not all cracked and fractured teeth hurt. It really depends on the severity of the crack and the pulps response to the irritants allowed into the tooth. Commonly it's not until they become symptomatic that we get involved. A crack/fracture can make the tooth sensitive due to movement of the fractured tooth pieces and/or leaking irritants into the pulp and even allow bacteria to come right in causing eventual infection of the tooth.

Last edited by BrandedPrincess; 11-23-2010 at 10:52 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrandedPrincess For This Useful Post:
Kate81282 (11-23-2010)
Old 11-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
(female)

AmVan HB User
Re: Cavity Filled - Now tooth pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate81282 View Post
Hi,

I知 hoping I can get some help on this issue.

I go to the dentist regularly and they took Xrays and found I had a cavity in my upper right back molar. I made an appointment to get it filled and they told me it did hit up against a filling from years before. I wanted a composite filling and since my old filling was silver they said it would be no problem they would just drill it out and replace the whole thing with a composite filling.

I got the tooth filled and as my Novocain wore off that afternoon I felt a lot of pain, every time I bit down I had a shooting pain which felt like it which right up into my brain, like a nerve pain. I called the dentist and she told me it was probably post operative pain and this was normal for composite fillings (although I have never had a problem after a filling before) and that it would get better over time. The pain continued and after a week of suffering every time I ate or accidently bit down I went in to see her again and she adjusted the bite. This did not help. After another week of pain I went back again and she drilled the whole thing out and replaced it with a temporary filling to see if that would make the pain go away. This time when the Novocain wore off the pain was so bad I was in tears. The next day I went back she drilled out the whole thing again and very carefully refilled the whole tooth. It has now been about a month since then. I can still not bite down or chew on the right side of my mouth at all. After eating only on the left side of my mouth for this long my gums are starting to get irritated and sensitive.

It was also mentioned to me by the dentist at one of these visits I might have a fracture in the tooth, but there was no way for them to tell. I had no pain at all in the tooth before my filling. Is it possible my tooth was cracked during the filling? Is there any way to tell if that happened? Also, could there have been a fracture I did not feel prior and could become very painful after I got a filling? Could I now need a root canal?

I知 not sure what is going on and what could be causing this. Can anyone help out with an opinion?

Thanks so much!
Kate
Your dentist sounds like a quack! Sounds like you need a root canal. Could be she drilled too deeply and broke into the root area which would have brought the pain on. Google on root canals, there's a wealth of info. My ex dentist gave me a crown when I needed a root canal first. Now all of a sudden he's wanting to do 1K work or pull it. I am so synical from past experiences, all I can say is a dentist can ruin you if you let him.

Closed Thread