It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
(male)

peterparker20 HB User
Tooth nerve pain - dentists can't find anything

Okay, I've had a problem with a tooth now for a while. A far back bottom tooth. The thing is, it's pain and sensitivity has worsened, but since I can avoid the pain entirely if I don't chew with it (only slightly annoying) - I have "lived" with it for a couple years now.

The thing is, NO DENTISTS have discovered the source of the pain. And I've been to several. Their X-rays always turn up nothing. Hence, they think nothing of my "pain" as long as it looks like everything's okay.

So, hopefully, I can describe my problem in detail here, and someone might figure out what it is.

Basically, this whole thing started after I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth out. My experience with that vs. others has led me to believe that the oral surgeon who did this was Dr. Kevorkian. All kidding aside, I think my operation was fairly more traumatic to the tissue compared to most wisdom teeth extractions.

In any case, its been the tooth adjacent to the wisdom teeth on the left that's been causing me pain.

I first noticed this a few weeks after the surgery, after it all healed, that whenever I chewed food on this Tooth X, it would cause a zinging shock sensation through my cheek. It took me a while to figure out the connection. But of course, this means that it must be a nerve problem, correct?

Well, it has evolved, a bit. The whole cheek connection is gone (though who knows, I never chew on that tooth).

Now, whenever I chew or brush the tooth, it just feels like the tooth produces this very uncomfortable ZING in the tooth area. It's not even an ache, or anything like that, just a horrible zing. It's extremely intense if I chew or brush, but only for the instant I touch the tooth.

Other interesting details: It seems impossible to trigger this pain by touching my tooth with my finger in any manner. Only food or my toothbrush. The only conclusion I can reach with these details is that there must be an exposed nerve/ portal of some sort obviously that only small bristles/ objects can reach. HOWEVER, even touching the SIDES of the tooth with the brush produces this pain. I don't know.

Also, the last time I went to the dentist (5th time since the problem developed) ---- the "sensitive" pain reception area has apparently "spread" to ANOTHER adjacent tooth, closer to the front of my mouth. Which is even more disturbing if this problem is spreading and equally baffling. I'm thinking this problem might be an amalgia of some kind, but I don't know, I have no medical training. If anyone could offer some advice for this mysterious condition, I'd be eternally thankful. After two years I'm just sick of it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Tooth nerve pain - dentists can't find anything

Hi,
Have you tried toothpaste for sensitive teeth? It may sound like a very simplistic solution, but it worked for me. I went through EXACTLY the same thing. Last tooth on the bottom and it felt like it was spreading to other teeth with painful gums. Xrays over a period of a year revealed nothing. Three different dentists couldn't find anything wrong either, but my mouth, jaw, teeth and gums really hurt.

So I started to use Sensodyne. And, I mean I REALLY used it. I rubbed it on the sore gum area at least five times a day and left it there. I brushed with it three times a day and then brushed a second time leaving the toothpaste without rinsing. Over a period of two weeks, the pain started to go away. I couldn't believe it! After a year of agony and no solutions.
Finally, now another year later, I am pain free and NO ONE will take away my toothpaste!!

Try it. Give it a full two weeks though. What it does is fill in the tubules in the dentin of your tooth that is exposed to the surface and transmitting the pain. The filling in process takes awhile, but with continued use of the toothpaste, the tubules stay filled and therefore can no longer transmit the painful stimuli to the nerve.

One tube of toothpaste saved me from painful exploratory surgery. I hope it can help you.

It sure can be a cheap fix if it does.
Good luck, and please do let us know how you do.

My best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
(male)

glee75 HB User

question.

I have had some of the same experiences with my teeth. I've gotten to the point of almost paranoia with eating etc. Nothing found by the dentist.

Could some of this be anxiety generated? I know the rest of the body can have random pains, could the teeth also.

Any suggestions as to how to get over it?

Thanks for any response,

sincerely, glee

Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Try the Sensodyne as suggested above.
The problem may be a cracked tooth; the crack is often invisible to the naked eye and x-rays so can be difficult to diagnose. Characteristically, the pain is normally worse when the pressure on the tooth is relieved.
Sometimes by careful grinding the problem can be helped but crowning is probably a more permanent ( and expensive) solution.

Closed Thread