It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
(male)

thedoge HB User
Partial front denture

Hey i came to this site because on monday i am scheduled to get my five front teeth removed and get a partial put in. I have to say i am so excited about not having to worry about people seeing my terrible jacked up grill any more. It has messed with me so bad i have lost all confidence and can hardly look people in the eye when i talk to them. But any way i am at the same time nervous that people will now be able to tell i have a denture in. I am getting the imediate one in that day then i will go back for adjustemnts untill my gums heal for the perm one. I guess really i am just looking for some words of advice about getting this done. Im 27 and lived a very reckless and careless life, but i have changed my ways for a bit over a year now. And am just trying to fix some of the damage i have caused myself. I have 2000 dollars for this procedure and was told its gonna take every bit of that. If anyone has any input on any of this i would appriciate it. I guess its safe to say i am just nervous and excited about this. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Partial front denture

Hi,
I had a partial for my upper front four teeth that I used while my implants integrated (about 9 months).
I loved it! The teeth were gorgeous and it gave me a great smile. My little hooks that held it in hardly showed even when I broadly smiled.

It did take a little bit getting used to though. I used mine all the time and rarely took it out. It was an also an immediate denture that was placed when the teeth came out and the implants went in. I wore mine at night also, taking it out only to clean it and brush my regular teeth.

I think it took me all of three weeks until I was completely used to it and it was completely comfortable.

When you have the procedure, be sure to have ice packs available (I used rice in a thin sock - worked great and you don't get wet!). Try sleeping with your head elevated a bit for the first few nights to minimize swelling and eat soft foods for awhile.
I rinsed my mouth with 1/4tsp of salt in a glass of warm water pretty frequently, too.

You'll do fine. And, I think you will LOVE your new teeth. Good luck with the procedure and let us know how you do.

My very best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
(male)

thedoge HB User

Well i got it done and it was really pretty painless. I can take them out and put them back in pretty easily which is nice. Through out the day they feel pretty good and the pain is almost not there at all. Getting use to the feeling in my mouth is coming along and eating is a bit strange but its only been a couple days. The one issue i am having is i feel like my teeth are big and when i talk every one is focused on that. I look in the mirror and they really do look pretty good but i think cause i have been hiding my smile for so long its weird to show some teeth when i talk but i guess i cant hide them when i talk cause my lips are not use to them. Has anyone else felt like when they got theres done that they felt big. I know i will get use to them but will my lips get use to them. Do ya think its just in my head? When im around strangers i dont really have that issue just people that know i got dental work done. So i guess there looking for something? If anyone has anything to say about all this please post. Or if some one has a question please ask. I am happy i got this done and already i feel more confident so already its a plus. Thanks

Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi again,

Yes, they do feel big don't they? Mine felt like someone had stuffed a baseball glove in my mouth!! But, they really aren't. The mouth just perceives them that way. You will get used to that feeling and it will become perfectly normal.

I used my partial for 9 months. I think it took about the first three months to really get used to it. I had to practice my speech, too.
Funny thing is NO ONE noticed. Just me. Time is your friend here.

It will all come together very soon. Pretty soon you'll realize that you don't even think of it anymore and you have a gorgeous smile and you'll want to show those teeth!

Good luck and best to you,
Gellia

Old 12-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
(male)

thedoge HB User

Hey thanks for your replies i do appriciate them. Every thing is good and they feel pretty good, my problem i think is all mental. I just obsess over if people think i look funny. I hate being this way i never use to. Its only been one week but i feel as if im always thinking about what this new mouth of mine looks like. I know i should just be happy cause my old teeth were absolutely terrible, and these ones look really nice. I just hope i can stop obsessing over the fact of what other people think. My hope is that i will just get used to them in there and start feeling normal about the whole thing. Any advice or similier experience?

Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again,
I don't think anyone else thinks about your teeth except that you have a nice smile. I mean, you may be aware, but most others never will be. When they look at you, they will just see a nice smile. Not stare and wonder about your teeth. No one cares about your teeth. Just what is behind the smile they represent. Even my closest friends never really noticed my teeth except that something was "happier" looking in the smile.

You have to enjoy your new teeth. I'll bet you have a gorgeous smile and that's all anyone really sees.
You'll get used to the partial teeth. Just remember, it's BETTER than before. Show it off!!
We go through all these things to be able to smile at the end. When you walk by a mirror, smile at yourself. You;ll be amazed at how nice it looks and that's what others see.

Enjoy it!

Best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
thedoge (12-11-2010)
Closed Thread