It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

geminigrlnj11 HB User
Had a wisdom tooth extraction a month ago and now have throbbing & excruciating pain

I suffered from a dry socket 2 days after the bony impacted wisdom tooth extraction on my lower tooth all the way in the back of my mouth. I followed the directions after the surgery very carefully, I do not smoke so that would not have been a factor.

Since the extraction I have had to go back to my oral surgeon 5 times on an emergency basis since he did the extraction to put medicine in the socket because the pain was so unbearable. I don’t wish this pain on my worse enemy and I am pretty tough when it comes to pain.

When the procedure was done I was wide awake he just numbed up the area but I felt EVERYTHING he was doing, even when he was drilling my tooth into pieces. I raised my hand while he was drilling to signal him to slow down and his assistant and the doctor told me not to move even though I was feeling everything. The roots of the wisdom tooth were curved so the doctor had a very hard time getting the tooth out. I remember him getting a good grip of the tooth and pulling hard and the tooth would not come out. I still have numbness in my tongue that has not gone away since the extraction.

I called him up and told him I am still in pain and he has NOT tried to find a solution all he keeps telling me is how rare it is that I am still in pain and I should gargle with baking soda. He could care less how I feel so I don't want to ever go back to him.

I have been to a new oral surgeon to get a second opinion and they did x-rays in that area and there is no infection or any damage to the bone. The new oral surgeon told me that they have to do another surgery in that area and scrape the socket out and get the blood flowing again. I cannot get this procedure done right now I have to wait until January because it costs 900 dollars and my new dental benefits kick in in January.

I am still in a lot of excruciating pain and do not know what to do at this point. The narcotics help but only temporarily.

Since I posted this thread I have been to my regular doctor because I could not take the pain last night I was waking up in and out of sleep. The doctor prescribed me something for the inflamed nerves and stronger narcotics. She explained that the extraction may have touched a nerve in the jaw area and if the scraping of the socket does not work, The oral surgeon may need to look into other options to correct this problem.

At this point I am not sure if the oral surgeon that did the extraction did something wrong. His point of view of my situation is what really upset me the most and has me thinking if he has ever had problems with other patients. He could care less if I'm in pain and has never tried alternative options to get this problem solved. He just keeps insinuating that I am possibly making this up. How rare this situation is when he himself told me when I got the dry socket that "everyone heals different"

The excruciating pain I am still having is very similar to the dry socket pain I had before. I still have nightmares about this experience.

Has this ever happened to anyone else one month after a extraction of bony impacted wisdom tooth?

Last edited by geminigrlnj11; 12-11-2010 at 03:06 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to geminigrlnj11:
CentralApartman (12-13-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Had a wisdom tooth extraction a month ago and now have throbbing & excruciating p

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I have not had a similar experience, but I do understand how it feels to have a dentist who just doesn't care. I had a wisdom tooth extraction over a month ago, too, and while it has healed nicely, the tooth next to it is not. At any rate, I fired them, and am contemplating filing a report with them with the state dentistry board. I, too, feel like my pain has been minimized, and they keep telling me I shouldn't be in pain.

Have you explored the possibility that your issues are related to your TMJ? It's possible that having your jaw opened for an extended amount of time can sort of mess with that area. Also, the injection of the novacain into the jaw may have triggered an issue?

Good luck to you. I hope you find some answers and some relief! Are you taking motrin? It helps a lot, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to zekat For This Useful Post:
geminigrlnj11 (12-14-2010)
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
(male)

SeanBradley HB User
Re: Had a wisdom tooth extraction a month ago and now have throbbing & excruciating p

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminigrlnj11 View Post
I suffered from a dry socket 2 days after the bony impacted wisdom tooth extraction on my lower tooth all the way in the back of my mouth. I followed the directions after the surgery very carefully, I do not smoke so that would not have been a factor.

Since the extraction I have had to go back to my oral surgeon 5 times on an emergency basis since he did the extraction to put medicine in the socket because the pain was so unbearable. I don’t wish this pain on my worse enemy and I am pretty tough when it comes to pain.

When the procedure was done I was wide awake he just numbed up the area but I felt EVERYTHING he was doing, even when he was drilling my tooth into pieces. I raised my hand while he was drilling to signal him to slow down and his assistant and the doctor told me not to move even though I was feeling everything. The roots of the wisdom tooth were curved so the doctor had a very hard time getting the tooth out. I remember him getting a good grip of the tooth and pulling hard and the tooth would not come out. I still have numbness in my tongue that has not gone away since the extraction.

I called him up and told him I am still in pain and he has NOT tried to find a solution all he keeps telling me is how rare it is that I am still in pain and I should gargle with baking soda. He could care less how I feel so I don't want to ever go back to him.

I have been to a new oral surgeon to get a second opinion and they did x-rays in that area and there is no infection or any damage to the bone. The new oral surgeon told me that they have to do another surgery in that area and scrape the socket out and get the blood flowing again. I cannot get this procedure done right now I have to wait until January because it costs 900 dollars and my new dental benefits kick in in January.

I am still in a lot of excruciating pain and do not know what to do at this point. The narcotics help but only temporarily.

Since I posted this thread I have been to my regular doctor because I could not take the pain last night I was waking up in and out of sleep. The doctor prescribed me something for the inflamed nerves and stronger narcotics. She explained that the extraction may have touched a nerve in the jaw area and if the scraping of the socket does not work, The oral surgeon may need to look into other options to correct this problem.

At this point I am not sure if the oral surgeon that did the extraction did something wrong. His point of view of my situation is what really upset me the most and has me thinking if he has ever had problems with other patients. He could care less if I'm in pain and has never tried alternative options to get this problem solved. He just keeps insinuating that I am possibly making this up. How rare this situation is when he himself told me when I got the dry socket that "everyone heals different"

The excruciating pain I am still having is very similar to the dry socket pain I had before. I still have nightmares about this experience.

Has this ever happened to anyone else one month after a extraction of bony impacted wisdom tooth?

going through the same thing they pulled out one wisdom tooth... and all the nerves in my mouth are throbbing at all times.. to calm them down i have to put sometype of cold liquid in my mouth continuously.. Ive been through gallons and gallons of water... since they dont see an infection.. they dont help me... i take Ibuprofen 900mg .. Vicodin.. Tylenol 3... Penicillin... the tube to numb the pain nothing works... only luqid for a breath time... the worst pain ive had ever period

Last edited by SeanBradley; 07-06-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User

the dry socket was from having lost the inital clot to begin with. you need to be profoundly numbed up, have a couple of little holes put into the socket just to cause a new clot, and have that protectively dressed and maybe an "x" suture to hold the dressing just in case. there is a topical medicament with a lot of clove oil in it many dentists have on hand and the name escapes me at the moment. i am soooo sorry you got a nincompoop chump for the first go-round. is there a decent (meaning university or community and NOT corporate) clinic you can go to? it's a short procedure after getting you stone cold frozen numb.

Closed Thread