It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

ImaginAries HB User
Exclamation Rapid Pulse/Palpitations due to tooth infection?

I have an appointment with the dentist for tomorrow after work for a couple of broken teeth (one is definitely abscessed/infected) that needed taking care of a few months ago. Anyhow- for the past 4 or 5 days, I've been experiencing rapid pulse, palpitations, fatigue, headache, and flushing in the cheeks. I've also been coughing every now and again whenever the palpitations seem to flutter in my throat (sometimes I'll have a coughing fit, mostly non-productive, for a few minutes straight). At first, I was quite worried that this may be a heart-related problem because I have high blood pressure, am obese (I won't lie- I am female, 5'6", last weighed at 319 lbs, bp was 144/75) and stroke, hypertension, and diabetes seem to be in the family genetics. Then I noted that the palpitations seemed to coincide with when my abscessed tooth started to bother me once again. I did a little research on my own and found a little bit of information that sometimes bad tooth infections can cause a rapid pulse or palpitations. I also have anxiety and panic attacks (so I have been trying to keep myself calm to avoid that). The palpitations almost seem non-stop. Less when I am resting, more when I am at work (lifting, cashiering, walking around the store, etc). Sometimes I feel a little weak in the arms (mostly my shoulders) and have gotten a strange pressure that seems as though it is ballooning in my lower forearms (mostly my left- In November, I was treated for entrapped ulnar nerve and a pulled trapezius muscle on the same side). It goes away as quickly as it comes on, but it is really strange. Any thoughts/ideas on whether this could all simply be related to a tooth infection? (If at all possible, I am thinking that going to the Urgent Aid center after my dentist appointment may be something to do just to make sure that it's nothing more serious). I sleep comfortably and am not bothered by any of these things until after I have been awake and active for at least two to three hours. Would really appreciate any advice or opinions!

(**Just in case it needs to be said** Palpitations are of the fluttering type, as well as I am extremely aware of my pulse, feeling it at the base of my throat most of the time- occasionally in the chest. Sometimes I also get what is a 'swooping' sensation (like how you feel after driving over a steep hill or on a roller coaster) that spreads across from the back of my neck, my back, and down my arms to my fingers. Only lasts a moment, but is quite an odd sensation). Please, no comments on my weight, as I am well aware that I need to lose a lot of it. It's something I have been trying to work on- I have cut out caffeine almost completely from my diet, as well as chocolate, and have been trying to limit caloric and sodium intake. No need to advise me on that- I'm more concerned about the matter I have listed. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jacke22 HB User
Re: Rapid Pulse/Palpitations due to tooth infection?

I had horrible panic attacks that lasted all day long about a week after noticing a bump in my gum. went to the dentist, who said there is no evidence of any tooth cracking in a tooth that already had a root canal. so did a week of penicillin vk, didn't clear it up.
anxiety got worse, then panic attacks set in. (couldn't sleep, eat, cried a lot, was super irritated. thought it had something to do with my mom's death a few months ago, not the tooth infection. everything is related, but i never had panic attacks like this, except on the week and day that my mother died.) i went to the ER twice with main symptoms of shortness of breath and heaviness and pressure in upper chest. right around the collarbone area and throat. everything normal, including CBC's. the first er visit, they gave me ativan and zofran for the nausea. this helped temporarily but gave me horrendous migraine for a day. second time, I ended up in Mental Health floor for 3 days. I thought i was going crazy because they were not able to find a temp or any blood lab abnormality, etc. one of those days was locked down with cameras on me at all times.

month later. went in today. another xray. tiny evidence of a crack. had it pulled. hurts like a mofo. been about 2 hrs. close observation showed it was a botched root canal from 5 years ago, tooth was discolored from being infected, tooth had a hole down the side of the tooth. doc said that this should clear all symptoms related to tooth infection. I feel that my anxiety is high but not uncontrollable like it was earlier this morning and the past 3 weeks. I think it might be subsiding already. contact me in a week and I'll let you know how i am progressing.

it's messed up that severe anxiety and panic attacks is not listed as a symptom of tooth infection, and I was left to think and believe that i was going crazy.

Closed Thread