It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

Schupper HB User
Unhappy Half tongue numb after wisdom tooth surgery

Hello.
I had my wisdom tooth surgically extracted under local anaesthesia.
Half of my tongue is numb all the time, and it feels like when when you drink something hot and your tongue is burnt (you know that feeling?) and hurts for a while.
At first, I thought it was the anaesthesia not fading away, but when it lasted for days, I knew it was not the anaesthesia.

My surgeon said it will go on its own and I should not worry.
But I am worried. So I googled and did some readings, and found out that this is caused because of nerve problem (lingual nerve I guess).

My questions:

1. Is there anything I can take (medications or foods) that promotes nerve rebuilding? I know vitamin B is good for that, any suggestions on what I can take as vitamin B enhancement? Can you give me some brand names?

2. How can I know the extent of the damage? Is there a special xray or MRI or what? How can they know how bad it is?

3. When I touch my tongue, I can feel my finger, but not fully. This part of my tongue feels somehow smoother or ticklish
Is that a good sign, or bad, or what?

4. Any piece of advice will be really appreciated.

thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Half tongue numb after wisdom tooth surgery

Hi,
It sounds as though your surgeon gave you a nerve block. Along with swelling from the surgery itself, the sensation you are describing can take as long as six weeks to go away from the block alone. Most don't, but they sure can. The tingling, burning and ability to "feel" your finger when you touch it is all a good sign.

You can't take anything to really help it along. The nerve gets traumatized from swelling and the surgery itself. It will want to come back on its own.
There is no real way to tell the extent if there is damage.

Nerves are funny. The sensation should resolve itself in as long six weeks but has been known to be present for as long as six months.

If it continues after the extraction site has completely healed your dentist should be notified and direct you from there.

Hope this helps.
My best to you,
Gellia

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
Eddie Raines (01-17-2011), Schupper (01-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

Schupper HB User

Thanks Gellia 4 the answer.
I hope it gets well soon, because it so annoying.

Just curious: how thick is the nerve (How many millimetres in diameter?)
And does its position show in normal xrays or panoramic xrays?

Thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I don't believe it can be seen on normal xray or pan. Perhaps a CAT scan though.
Varies in size with the individual. It usually is injected with novocain in the area of the angle of the jaw.

G

Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
(female)

Schupper HB User

Thanks a lot Gellia.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #6
(female)

girlmtl HB User

Hi
I saw your post while i was searching the net for some answers.I got my right,bottom wisdome tooth removed yesterday and the numbness in the tongue never went away..OS says it's normal but it doesn't seem normal to me.
Can you please tell me how are you feel now? Did ur tongue get any better?

I would greatly appreciate if u take time to replay Thank you

Old 02-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
(female)

Schupper HB User

Hello,
Sorry for my late reply.
It MUCH better. I can't say that it went a way, because I still have a feeling of numbness especially when I get up.
I guess it gets better with time, and I do hope I get rid of it.

PS: I'm taking a multivitamin, do take a good one, I guess it helps hastening the recovery process.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi well I don't know whether this will help or not but I would be running down to the local pharmacy or health food place to get some charcoal tablets and let them stay in the mouth without chewing for as long as possible. Even the powder well wet with water and stirred in a thick paste might assist if the tablets are not available. This may adsorb some of the toxin if any is remaining from the block. Some drug substances stay in the body as long as 5 years.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
(male)

fwazzan HB User

Hello
Found your post while searching for answers. I can say I have the exact same symptoms as yours. Removed my wisdom tooth 2 days ago. Whats ur status now, how long did it take to get back to normal?

thanks in advance

Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
(female)

gracetruth HB User

Hi Schupper
I am having the same problem as you. It has been 2 months since this tongue numbness started with my wisdom tooth extraction.
I see that you have posted this last year. I am curious to know if you have recovered now? If you have, how long did it take for you? I am mighty scared wondering if this nerve damage is going to be permanent Please write back to me when you get a chance.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
(female)

Clark5 HB User

Hi Schupper, my daughter is having numbness after about a week, and loves to sing, and we're very scared for her as singing is so much a part of her life. I'd be very interested to know if this has continued to get better for you, or if you have some numbness still. It appears that after a month or so it was better for you, but not gone. Did this continue to get better, do you have any trouble talking with lisp, etc?

Any response would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Clark5; 07-27-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
(male)

jorgen HB User

Hi There,

I got the exact same experience after removal of my right wisdom teeth (both). Its been almost 2 years and now the right side of my tongue still numb. I went to the dentist who did the operation and he just asked me to wait for another 2 - 3 weeks. I asked my friend's mom who is a doctor and she said, this condition might last for years as it will takes time for the nerve to grow. She suggest to get some vitamin for nerve (in indonesia it called neurobion).

Oh...my friend also had wisdom teeth removal with this same dentist...and he also numb!!!...hahaha....

So....good luck Schupper....
:P

Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #13
(male)

dredwinf HB User

I learn so much things from all you conservation.

Closed Thread