It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

crxn HB User
Why is there a hole in my gums?! [w/ pictures]

A few days ago a hole developed in my gums right behind the bottom left back tooth of mine. I have an impacted wisdom tooth (from what the dentist says its inside the jaw bone) that has not been removed. Every couple months or so that area of my gums swell up a little bit but not too much and it usually goes away after 1-2 days. This time however, it left behind the hole.

I'm not sure if this is actually a result of the impacted wisdom tooth as this is the first I've seen of the hole. The hole seems to be just empty space, no puss or anything. Can anyone give any insight as to what's going on here? Is it permanent?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0662.jpg (42.6 KB, 83 views)

Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Why is there a hole in my gums?! [w/ pictures]

Hi,
I do believe that appears to be a fistula. You probably have an underlying infection in the wisdom tooth. The infection is finding a way to the surface to drain rather than blowing up and causing you pain. That doesn't mean it's gone, though.

You really need a dental evaluation on that area with xrays to see which tooth is affected. This won't go away on it's own and a simmering infection can dissolve the bone that holds the teeth in.

Please make that appt for an evaluation. You'll be glad you did.

Best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I had a hole that looked exactly like that when a cusp of my wisdom tooth came up through the gums.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
(male)

jtc406 HB User

i have the same thing did u find out wat it was?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Yes, it is a wisdom tooth. You need to get back to your dentist and get it assessed.
Nice teeth BTW!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
(male)

jtc406 HB User

i alredy have my wisdom teeh tho

Old 08-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User

hi there - it looks like part of the molar is now exposed - but the reason it will stay exposed in this case is that the soft tissue above it is no longer there. (the gum will not grow back -- the new shape isgoing to be permanent.) that's ok so long as you can keep this area clean. that will be a little difficult and i would suggest a sonicare toothbrush as it can make the tiny movements necc to clean the space between the gum and the tooth. partially exposed molars take special attention to keep clean, and that's not impossible but is more difficult to keep clean with a manual toothbrush. the previous swelling episodes were from a little food being trapped under a bit of the gum behind the 2nd molar .. enough cycles of inflammation can destroy thin layers of gum tissue often found over impacted molars. it should be ok, once you are able to get the area clean. if you still have episodes of swelling you might want to have the tooth extracted if any decay starts. your dentist will be able to see if the 3rd is tipped too far forward and potentially causing damage to the 2nd molar. it might be ok as long as you are able to keep it clean. good luck with this!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
(male)

somechris HB User

i would like to see this picture

Closed Thread