It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
(female)

cindylou2 HB User
Ohhh my aching crowned tooth!!! (after 10 years)

It's been about 10 years since I had one of my back molars crowned and the past week it has started hurting. It's very sensitive to cold and hot. I was eating soup and the hot soup on my tooth nearly knocked me over in shocking pain!! OOOOUCH!!!! Later, I bit down on that tooth and another very sharp pain shot through it.

I was just curious to see is anyone has experienced this? How does a crowned tooth suddenly start hurting? (not sure if I had a root canal on that tooth or not, I'm thinking, not)

Can a root canal be done with a crown?
Thanks for any info you have!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Ohhh my aching crowned tooth!!! (after 10 years)

Hi,
Is does sound as though there has probably been decay under the crown that has reached the nerve. It's a common problem with any crowned tooth. They can do a root canal procedure right through the top of the crown, but that will have to be determined by xray.

Get thee to your favorite dentist and have it checked out. This is something that won't go away on its own.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
cindylou2 (01-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

cindylou2 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply! Have an appt with my dentist. The tooth has calmed down a bit, but I feel like it's just a sleeping lion and will not go away on its own. I'm thrilled to hear they can do the root canal through the crown!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Under normal circumstances, yes, a root canal can be done through the crown. Circumstances do have to be "normal" for that tooth, though. It's done basically as though it were your real tooth.

As with any RC, there can problems, but your dentist can advise you of any after he sees you and determines what they may or may not be.
In other words, don't worry about what may not happen.

Please don't let it continually "re-flare", though. It can only make the procedure more difficult. Once a tooth has become interactive with heat, it needs attention.

Good luck. Please let us know how you do. We LOVE success stories!

My best to you,
Gellia

The following user gives a hug of support to Gellia:
cindylou2 (01-25-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

HI I would not use hot or cold food or beverages. Many people know about a hot baking dish which may break if placed on a cold surface or a cold baking dish put in a hot oven. They would probably break under both circumstances. Teeth can also break. Have a nice day a dentist might help with an assessment of the tooth.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
cindylou2 (01-25-2011)
Closed Thread