It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
(male)

spiral12 HB User
Can excessive plaque or scaling move teeth?

Hi all,

My first post, please be gentle

I went to the dentists which was long overdue after a few years, and used to go regularly. My teeth have always been very good, straight without any fillings or gaps between them.

There was quite a bit of plaque built up on the bottom front teeth (enough that I noticed it and picking at it a very small piece broke off motivating me to go) but otherwise he said were ok which was a relief, and I got them cleaned. When I got home and looked in the mirror I noticed my bottom front teeth have moved/tilted slightly sideways and there is now a 1 millimetre gap in the middle.

Is it possible that the excessive plaque build up over a few years could have caused this?

Or is it possible that during the process of cleaning and scaling and must note that my dentist is very forceful could have moved them slightly, maybe once the plaque was removed?

I realise the OR doesn't seem very plausible but I flossed about 3 weeks ago and I would definitely have noticed if there was a gap as my front bottom teeth especially have always been (were always) very close together needing to really push the floss through.

Very much regretting not flossing before I went as I thought of and would now know for certain, but I then thought no need as was going to the dentist.

Any help please will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Can excessive plaque or scaling move teeth?

Is it possible that the excessive plaque build up over a few years could have caused this?

Yes! If you have bone loss underneath all of that plaque, it is very possible for the plaque
to be acting as reinforcement for the teeth and without that reinforcement, with the teeth "on their own" without the plaque as the cement between them, you will definitely notice your teeth in a different position.

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
spiral12 (02-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Can excessive plaque or scaling move teeth?

Hi,
I agree with slenderella. If plaque buildup was enough that it could chip off, then it was probably forced below the gumline. When it is removed the gum will no longer be attached to that section of the tooth. This can cause the gum to shrink away from it leaving what they call a "black triangle" between the teeth. There is nothing you can do to grow the gum back short of gum replacement surgery.

The teeth can then also shift in their position as slenderella explained. The plaque was acting as a splint and holding the teeth in their position all the while pushing the gum away from the tooth as it built up. When the plaque is removed, the splinting is gone and the teeth can shift. They may move back into their original place.

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
spiral12 (02-08-2011)
Closed Thread