It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
(male)

flyer99 HB User
Help with pain after a filling

Hello all. On Wed (this is Sun) I had a filling replaced in my upper front tooth with a whitish filling. My dentist uses same color as tooth fillings in those teeth. I got numbed up but still felt it a couple of times while he was drilling. I am assuming that he was close to the pulp (root) of the tooth. After the freezing wore off it started aching. I took some Tylenol as I cannot take ibuprophen and the aching stopped. However, since Wed it aches when I drink cold water (not hot just cold). I can even chew with the tooth and it doesn't ache. Although it does pain at times throughout the day, but not all the time and not really badly. I called my dentist's office about this on Fri and he said if it is still bothering me on Mon to call and he would work me in to check it, although he said that is could take a few days (even up to 7-10 days) to calm down as there was probably trauma to the pulp (root) area.

I have been reading some posts here and searching as well. It seems like this occurs quite frquently. I haven't had it happen to me yet and I've had many fillings. I am wondering why this tooth is reacting differently from all the others I have had filled. Could it be the type of filling material. All my other ones are amalgam fillings.

Should I be really worried or should I just calm down, not drink anything really cold or eat anything on that area and give the tooth a chance to recover? I am quite a nervous, anxious person and just need some advice. Thanks so much.

Last edited by flyer99; 01-29-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Help with pain after a filling

Hi,
It is possible that replacing the filing is the problem and it will settle down. I have all amalgam fillings, but I do hear that the tooth colored ones transfer hot and cold sensations more easily and are more "painful" to get used to.
That may be what is happening with you. The filling is allowing you to feel the cold more easily.

Hopefully it will calm down as your dentist said. Worse case scenario would be you may need a root canal on that tooth as the filling may be too close to the nerve.

Hope this helps.
My very best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
flyer99 (01-30-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
(male)

flyer99 HB User

It's now Monday morning and my tooth isn't getting any better. In fact, it's a bit worse. Funny though, hot water doesn't hurt it at all but cold water makes it really ache. So, I'm off of anything cold for the time being. But the tooth, and now the surrounding area, seems to pain most all the time. I called the dental office this morning and the receptionist asked me if it looked inflamed. I said no that it looked perfectly normal to me. So, she got me in at 4 pm for a checkup with my dentist. I'm so hoping and praying that this doesn't result in a root canal and that it's something that the dentist can fix. Meanwhile I'm swishing around warm water and salt (the warm water doesn't hurt my tooth either). I read that it can help, and it does. I'm taking a couple of extra strenght Tylenol every 4-6 hours. I can't take an NSAID like ibuprophen as I react to them.

Is there anything I should be aware of before he checks the tooth or even something else to try that I haven't tried? SHould I put something like Anbesol on my tooth? I've never had to go through this before and this sure isn't helping my anxiety issues. In any event I'll let you know what the outcome of the checkup is. Thanks so much for any words of wisdom and calming thoughts.

Last edited by flyer99; 01-31-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi again,
Actually it's to your advantage that the tooth is only reacting to cold. There is a good possibility that it will calm down. When it reacts to heat, it usually means the nerve is affected. The white filling transfers cold and heat easier than the amalgam type and that may be the problem. That it's getting worse is a bit troubling but there still is a possibility that it will calm down.

It may also be that the filling is just too close to the nerve and the nerve will need a root canal procedure. This can happen any time a filling is replaced or has decayed below it.

It's a good thing that you are having your dentist check it. He may be able to tell if the nerve is involved.

GOOD LUCK and my very best to you. Please let us know how you are doing.

Gellia

Old 01-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
(male)

flyer99 HB User
Re: Help with pain after a filling (Jan 31 Update)

Thanks, Gellia, for the information. I just got back from my check with the dentist. The x-ray of the tooth showed no inflammation or infection. The filling was close to the root and th dentist said that if a little bit of the root was exposed then the root would be aggravated and take awhile for the root to recover.

On the other hand, some roots never recover from this and need a root canal done. He put a desensitizing agent over the tooth (Duraflor) which seeps into the little microscopic holes in the tooth. I am to see how the tooth reacts over the next couple or few days. If it continues to be painful he will do a pulpotomy (infected part of the nerve is removed and a sedative medication is placed inside the tooth to prevent sensitivity and to promote healing). This takes only 45 minutes or so. An endodontist will later perform the rest of the root canal procedure. But the pulpotomy will stop the pain as obviously the root is taken out. It's a very simple procedure.

The dentist said I was "in the middle" right now and the tooth could go either way. If I am lucky I won't need a root canal done. However, I don't mind them, I've had them done before and I can have it done within a month.

I'll keep you updated. I'm learning lots of new things throughout this process.

Last edited by flyer99; 01-31-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again,
Sounds like a plan! And, a good one!

If the desensitizing agent that your dentist placed on your tooth helps at all, I urge to to get a desensitizing toothpaste and use it also. Sensadyne is one. Colgate makes one also.
These have an agent in them that also gets into the little tubules in the dentin that lead to the nerve. It helps to plug them up with regular use. Just like what your dentist did with the Duraflor.
It can really help ALOT. You can also rub small amounts right on your tooth and gums 3-4 times a day.

I hope it settles down for you. Try the toothpaste and good luck. Do keep us up with how things go. We love success stories!

My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
(male)

flyer99 HB User

Hi Gellia and all,

My tooth nerve wasn't recovering and so my dentist did a root canal on it on Thursday. He was going to just take out the nerve (pulpotomy) and an endodontist was going to complete it, but it was really straightforward and he proceeeded to do the entire thing. There was some irritation at the bottom of the root and he wants to let that heal before he finishes so he put in a temporary filling and sealed it. He is going to finish it in March. It will take only about 45 minutes to finish it. It was a snap and I didn't feel a thing. And, I don't need to see an "endo". Yay! Thanks for all your support in my tooth saga.

Last edited by flyer99; 02-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

A happy ending!! Excellent. I'm so glad everything worked out for you.

Best to you,
G

Closed Thread