It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
(male)

tabitha1001 HB User
Excessive gum bleeding around crown....

I underwent a root canal and a crown on my upper left molar a couple of years ago. The gums around new crown bled excessively causing (IMO) bad breath. Needles to say, I wasnt satisfied with the dentist's work and had a second dentist look at it. He removed the crown and double checked the root canal to ensure everything was fine. He stated that the root canal looked fine and the first crown "may not" have been sized correctly causing irritated gums. He made another crown to ensure proper size, however the gums continue to bleed around the tooth. This is so freakin Annoying!!!

Has anyone experienced this problem that can shed some light on my situation? It's such a pain to continually find a new Dentist, make numerous appts. with no resolution. I brush and floss regularly. Should I see a periodontist???

P.S. I live in Dallas, TX area if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks for any help / recommendations!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Excessive gum bleeding around crown....

Was the dentist who checked the root canal an endondontist? - if not I would go to one and have him evaluate the tooth - it can be a deep seated infection at the very tip of the root which can sometimes be hard to detect by the untrained eye of a general or cosmetic dentist. If it checks out OK with the endo, discuss with him what your next steps should - he should be able to rule out a fracture of the tooth below the gum line as well so there should be no need to go see an oral surgeon but he might refer you to perio if he notices signs of periodontal disease such as an infected pocket around the tooth or bone loss,etc.

If none of this works and the source of this still can not be determined I would suggest the dentist remove the perm crown and put a temp crown in place with no metal fused to it and let you wear the temp crown for several months to see if this will clear up on its own given a different "environment" - it can be anything from a a reaction to the metal fused to the crown, reaction to the cement, deeply seated margin of the crown or its too high so you are biting too forcefully on it, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would try an ear irrigation bulb filled with warm almost hot water but comfortably tolerable. After teeth have been gently brushed i would use the bulb letting the water flow in the sink. I would try not to splash or splat droplets around to help avoid spreading the germs around and I would rinse the sink with water after each irrigation. I would do this after every meal and no snacking. I want to know if this is tried if desired and if it is found helpful.

Last edited by sjb; 02-08-2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: addition made

Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
(male)

tabitha1001 HB User

Went to periodontist this week and after looking at x-ray, there was A LOT of cement left around the tooth and in gums which in the the periodontists view was an extremely poor job and is fixable by a thorough cleaning. He wants to numb me up and completely clean around tooth and gums to remove all remaining cement left. Hopefully this works.

Thanks to both of you for replying and providing feedback. I'm new to this board and will definitely be utilizing it more often! Thanks for your help!!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi you are welcome! If desired let us know how everything goes! :smile:

Closed Thread