It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

marie888 HB User
Does Your Root Canal Feel Normal??

Please, someone answer! I have posted many times and no one answers. I have had a crown replaced on a root canalled tooth and ever since it has been sensitive. X rays look normal. If I press on it, especially on one cusp, it really hurts. I have pain in other teeth around the tooth as well. I don't know whether I have atypical facial pain or whether there is something wrong with the root canal. I don't want to face extraction and be in more pain or keep living with pain from a tooth that could just be pulled and relieved. I am so sad about all this. The actual root canal was 6 months ago. I had the crown replaced because it was not touching my othe teeth. It isn't touching other teeth now either becuase it has been adjusted so many times due to pain. I am so depressed. Does anyone have a root canaled tooth that doesn't feel normal or hurts when you push on it?? Should it feel like a normal tooth or not?

Thank you,
Marie

Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
(male)

Jack2011 HB User
Re: Does Your Root Canal Feel Normal??

Hi, I had a Root Canal on my second molar that showed Ok on the X rays (no black area around tooth). But I had increasing pain. I finally extracted it against advice of two dentists. The pain dissapeared gradually over 2 months. Hope it helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
(female)

jacqi HB User

I think i have atypical facial pain - i have a crowned tooth and some very deep filled teeth that all feel odd - but when i go to the dentist they dont hurt when tapped or prodded and xrays dont show anything. I feel like I have food trapped between the teeth and my gum hurts, but not to touch

I have recently had an impacted wisdom tooth out and cysts, but that hasn't helped.

Ihave also tried anti anxiety tablets and am tempted to use them again as i didn't feel so fed up with the pain

Old 02-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I had one of those years ago. I am so sorry that you appear to be going through something similar. For a year I tried everything to stop my RCT from hurting when I poked it or chewed on it or pressed it.

I wasn't given the option of an implant back then so I finally had the tooth pulled. Turned out it was cracked.

Looking back I don't regret the extraction, but wish I had known about implants. I would have had one to replace the tooth, but because it was a back one and I didn't know, I didn't do anything.

I hope this isn't your problem, though. Not much you can do with a badly cracked tooth except extract it and replace it but it's better than being in pain, and I was.

I hope you find a solution quickly and that you'll be pain free soon.
Please let us know how you're doing.

My best to you,
Gellia

Old 03-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
(female)

marie888 HB User

Hello,

Just an update, I am still going through this nightmare. I am actually trying to decifer whether I have a tooth problem or a nerve problem. I was just put on strong antibiotics for a week to see if that makes a difference. I had a jaw CT done and a small area that looked abnormal was seen on one root. Unfortunately I was told this could be caused by a start of an infection, a crack, or just the delayed healing of the bone that still has not filled in since my root canal this summer. It is horrible not to know what to do. I hate antibiotcs since they always effect my digestive system. The stress of this has really taken a mental tole on me. After having a painful root canal this summer I had the crowns replaced on my root canal and on a dental implant behind it since one crown was chipped and the other not hitting the above tooth. I regret the decision so much since I have had constant pain since. The root canal tooth hurt again terribly with the new crown and I had to have the implant crown and abutment removed because of the pain/pressure feeling in the whole area. I have had dental work previously and never this type of pain. I even consulted a neurologist who said the trigeminal nerve may be upset. Even my tongue has pain now. I have never been so scared and frusterated. If I have a nerve problem I don't want to do more dental work to upset things more, but if I have a crack or abscess I don't want to live in pain and agravate the nerves more. I feel very trapped right now and scared of everything. Dental pain is worse then any other type of pain I have experienced and I have had kids, surgeries, . . .

I will update in the future. Has anyone else ever faced a situation like this where you were not sure whether you had a dental problem, a nerve problem, or both??? I feel like my whole life has been disrupted by the pain and anxiety.

Marie

Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
(male)

Jack2011 HB User

Hello, I'm sorry for what you are going thru. Did you loose your implant because of the pain from your RC? Gee that's bad. If it shows an infection on the RC, I would sincerely advice to pull out the tooth. Have you read the book on RC by Dr. Meining? Sometimes RC can be a focus of infection. I wish you get well soon.

Closed Thread