It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
(female)

graces23 HB User
Major tarter / plaque behind front bottom teeth

I know having that really hard build-up of whatever it's called is quite common, but for some reason it's a MAJOR issue JUST behind the front 3-4 teeth on the bottom of my mouth.

It has been this way for about 5 years now. I brush in this area the same as any other area of my mouth (and in fact MORE because it's been a problem for a while) and yet...the stuff just comes back so quickly it's ridiculous!

I had a thorough clean and scraping a couple of years ago and all of it was removed, but literally within 3 months it was back...and I can't get rid of it. Every now and then I would try and kind of "ice pick" it off with something and sometimes it'd chip some away but mostly no.

And since then it's gotten to the extent that my front 2 teeth on the bottom have been pushed apart by this stuff behind them. There is a gap of about 2mm at the top...it's noticeable, and behind them now is so much stuff that I seriously fear if the dentist removed it now, those teeth would actually fall OUT. I worry it's all that holding them in!!

I'm 32 years old and am otherwise in fairly good dental health. I don't get why just THIS one area is so incredibly bad!! Even the next tooth along on each side is PERFECT. The gums literally change from being red and puffy and then this stuff there (plaque / tarter or whatever it is) to being perfectly normal and pale pink.

I don't get it!!

Old 02-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Major tarter / plaque behind front bottom teeth

Hi,
The back of the front bottom teeth is where the most plaque will build up. The tongue has alot to do with that. Try a tongue scraper if you have white on your tongue.

You need to get the plaque professionally removed again first. Please do this! If you don't, the bacteria it carries will just eat away at the bone and the teeth will fail and you'll be in a pickle!
Getting it removed will allow them to tighten back up. This will NOT happen unless you get that plaque out of there and you can't do it alone. You need a professional cleaning to reach it.

Once they are thoroughly cleaned, the very BEST way to keep plaque from forming there again is to FLOSS daily without fail. Floss is the only thing that will reach below the gumline and remove the plaque building up there.

I can't stress this enough!

Floss should be place down along the gumline to form a "C" around the toothbase as far below the gumline that is comfortable and then lifted up. This removes the plaque along the tooth base. It's VERY important that you add this to your regular two minute, twice daily brushings. If you can, add a water pik to your routine in the evening. Brush at least twice daily. Plaque hardens in a about 12 hours. Once it hardens it's very difficult to remove. That's why twice a day brushing is advised.

Floss should be your very best friend. If you want to limit the amount of plaque build up you need to get your teeth cleaned, and then brush twice a day and floss daily. It's the only way.

Hope this helps.
My best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
(female)

graces23 HB User

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I do floss actually, though have only started in the past 6 months or so.

I find it really difficult to floss those front few teeth (about the front bottom 6) as they are so close together at the top, the floss can't actually get inbetween the teeth to get down between and under the gum line. (meaning the teeth are touching at the tops, but there is a normal slight gap in the middle and near to the gums)

Anyway, I will gather the courage to go to the dentist...eep! lol

Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

I have the same problem with my top teeth! They are so close together that I shred the floss.

I went and got Glide for tight teeth. It works GREAT! Please don't give up with the floss on those lower teeth. It's the only way to get the plaque from below the gumline where it can cause real damage.

Good luck with your dental appt. Please let us know how you do and NO FEAR!

You're going to do just fine.
My best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread