It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
(female)

Majin_Koenma HB User
Question Can you remove a really bad tartar build up at home?

I have a half erupted wisdom tooth in the upper left part of my mouth that is incased in a shell of hardened tartar. Gross I know, and I admit that my dental hygiene habits have left a lot to be desired in the past. Partially out of laziness and partially because I have an irrational fear/dislike of brushing my teeth. There was tartar on the molar next to it, but I managed to get the tartar off that tooth with a dental pick I bough online. I've been using the pick to try to get the tartar off my wisdom tooth but I;m not having much success. So is there any other way for me to get rid of it or do I have to go to the dentist? I've heard baking soda works, I've also heard tea tree oil works. I've also heard that other people have had good success removing tartar with a sonic tooth brush. So does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to go to the dentist because I don't have any insurance at the moment and it would be really embarrassing to go to a new dentist (the dentist I had been going to for years passed away last summer and I'm still looking for a new dentist) with a tartar problem this bad.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Can you remove a really bad tartar build up at home?

Hi,
There's really no way for you to get a thorough cleaning at home. Dentists have special tools they can use to reach below the gumline where you can't. They also usually have a cavitron that works by ultrasonic waves to shatter plaque that is too hard otherwise to remove.

I urge you STRONGLY to get to a dentist for a thorough cleaning. Leaving plaque along the gumline will eventually dissolve the bone that holds in your teeth. And, once that happens you can run into some serious problems.

You cannot do this at home.

Once you have a good professional cleaning, brushing twice a day for two minutes each time (plaque hardens into calculus in about 12 hours) and then FLOSSing can keep your teeth clean. Floss can be your best friend for good dental health.

Please make an appt with your dentist. It really is important for you future dental well being.

Hope this helps.
My very best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread