It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

holahanson HB User
Deep cavity filled and it's killing me! :/

I just got a deep cavity on a top molar filled this morning and as soon as the novocaine wore off a few hours later I was in pain. I've had plenty of cavities filled, even plenty of root canals (sadly ha) and I don't remember ever having pain like this. My mouth is a little sore, and my tooth is really sensitive to cold things, which is normal, but what I don't think is normal is this: every once in a while (sometimes every 5 minutes, sometimes every 1/2 hour, it depends) out of nowhere I will get a sharp shooting pain in the nerve. It makes my entire face flinch. It lasts about 3 seconds and goes away, but it seems to happen for no reason at all.. I was reading about bite issues but all of the times this has happened I haven't been doing anything (not eating, not talking, nothing). I called my dentist and he told me to take some Motrin.. is this normal? I feel like it isn't!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Deep cavity filled and it's killing me! :/

Hi,
Sorry you're in pain. It may be because the filling is close to the nerve and the nerve is irritated. It reacts with a jolting shot of pain. You also probably had a few novocaine injections and the area may still be swollen. This can also cause a painful reaction.

Your dentist is right on with the Motrin. It's an anti-inflammatory and will help with swelling around the tissues.

Give it a few days. Rinse with warm salt water (1/4 teaspoon in 8oz. warm water). That will also help edema (fluid in the tissue).

If you don't have any improvement in a few days, call your dentist. He may want to check it out.

Hope this helps.
My best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
holahanson (02-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread