It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
(female)

angelanderson HB User
upcoming tooth extraction and anxiety/depression

OMG I'm a mess. I hope someone can help me out.

I'm 50 and have been dealing poorly with a traumatic loss for over a year. Today I found out I have to have a tooth pulled and I'm **terrified** of the dentist. Just this month I had started to feel hints of healing from my loss, and now that I have to face this tooth extraction I've sunk right back to crying constantly and worrying to death. I am a walking, crying panic attack. Pathetic.

I've always had Halcion for fillings and cleanings but my dentist said that won't work this time because I've been taking a little Xanax over the year. He offered to combine Halcion with nitrous oxide but will have to charge $400 for the additional monitoring I would require.

My tooth is cracked to the root and is about 50% amalgam: should it come out easily? It's a bicuspid. Will it hurt? Will it hurt afterward? What if I full-out panic in the chair? I need some good advice, please...

Thank you. Please don't laugh.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
(male)

skatetheboard HB User
Re: upcoming tooth extraction and anxiety/depression

First off, sorry to hear you're dealing with a loss.

Don't stress so much about it. I understand that's easier said than done though, as I stressed hard as hell just a few days back about having some of mine pulled. I have anxiety too but I don't take any medication for it. Leading up to the procedure I was shaking pretty bad, my heart was pounding, and I was working up a sweat. Once it actually started though I calmed down a lot. You kinda get lost in the moment.

The shots they'll give you will numb the pain down to almost nothing! All you'll feel is a little pressure. Hell, they did everything to me. They chipped away at one, and even had to drill it down. At one point as the lady was trying to loosen it up she managed to give me a decent little punch to the face even. None of it really hurt though =D.

I will suggest one thing.. Give your anxiety, I'd really consider the nitrous. At first it seemed like a great option but when I actually started taking it, it only made my anxiety worse and I thought I was about to have a panic attack right then and there.

You're going to be okay, though. You just have to keep reassuring yourself of that. Another plus is that it's actually a fairly quick procedure so you're not going to be there too long.

edit-

Oh, and as for the pain after it.. It isn't that bad. The worst part is the first few hours because you'll have some uncomfortable gauze in your mouth and you'll be spitting up a little bit of blood. But there was never any extreme pain that followed it. I've even stopped taking my prescribed pain medication and have settled with ibuprofen.

Last edited by skatetheboard; 02-25-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread