It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

Kati0781 HB User
Exclamation PLEASE HELP. Something sticking out of gum.

I had my wisdom tooth removed 6 months ago. It healed fine. The molar that was next to it has started getting some kind of growth on the gum above it. It has gotten bigger and bigger and it has become pointy and hard. It is protruding towards my inner cheek. I'm not sure what it is, but the end of it hurts when I touch it and it is starting to scrape the inside of my mouth. Does any one know what this is???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: PLEASE HELP. Something sticking out of gum.

I would definately go back and find out what it is. Does it feel like maybe a loose piece of bone that maybe sticking through the gum? You say it's pointy and hard, so that is all I can think of. Can you see it in a mirror?

Best of luck...JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

When you have your wisdom teeth removed, the dentist/oral surgeon often has to break the teeth into lots of small pieces and then remove the pieces to get it out. Not the most comforting mental picture I'll admit.

There's a good chance that what you're feeling is one of these tooth fragments which is now working it's way out. I remember having a couple of fragments do that also after having my wisdom teeth out. Eventually they got close enough to the surface that I was just able to take them out with little pain. If yours is painful or concerning, you can call/revisit the dentist/oral surgeon who did your extraction (they may or may not charge you). Otherwise, just give it time and the tooth piece will continue getting closer to the surface so you can just take it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
JJ (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

That's exactly what I think it might be too as it happened to my son.

JJ

Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
(female)

Kati0781 HB User

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. But to my relief it is apart of the back of my molar that is sticking out that sat next to the wisdom tooth. My oral surgeon told me it's not a big deal. When the gums shrunk and got tight the back end of the tooth, that was covered, is showing a little bit. He said any that are exposed, the body will heal on it's own. He said it's on the other side of my mouth too, but it's under the gum. He reassured me the whole wisdom tooth came out in one piece.

Last edited by Kati0781; 03-14-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Closed Thread