Help! Pain after recent extraction & cold sensitivity
I posted a few days ago about a tooth I was going to have pulled. It was the bottom left molar. Well, it was yanked on Monday, just 2 days ago. The dentist did it with one pull, which absolutely surprised me. Of all the dentists I've seen over the years, he's the only one who did it that way. All the others would wiggle them around back and forth, etc.
The extraction I had 2 days ago was the easiest. Or so I thought....now I'm in extreme pain.
I was told to use a salt water rinse several times a day starting the day after the extraction. I was told to be on a soft diet for at least a couple of days. No straws until the following day. I did all that, and yesterday I felt pretty good.
Today I'm in agony. This molar had a space next to it that belonged to a tooth that was pulled years ago. Next to that is a tooth I broke and had repaired about 2 months ago...maybe a little less. From time to time after the repaired tooth was fixed, I'd bite down and it would feel sensitive, but nothing major.
But now that I've had this extractinon both the socket where that molar used to be and the tooth that was fixed a couple of months ago are extremely sensitive to cold stuff. I took a swallow of Diet Pepsi this afternoon in the wrong spot and both the socket and that tooth that was fixed were on fire. I thought I was going to die (just being facetious....it was awful).
It's still sore now. The socket seems to be healing when one looks at it but it doesn't feel that way. As a precaution, the dentist put me on antibiotics prior to the extraction and I'm done with them already.
My questions are as follows:
1. Is it normal to have sensitivity to temperature extremes - hot or cold - in the socket and teeth nearby?
2. How long can I expect to have the pain last?
3. The pain in that repaired tooth when I bite down is worse when I get up in the morning. Maybe I grind my teeth while sleeping? I don't know.
4. The socket looks like it's got white stuff on it. Kind of like when you bite the inside of your lip and it starts to heal. The clot is still there....never got dislodged. I've been using orasol (wally world's version of anbesol) to try to keep pain free. Was that wrong?
5. Is this an emergency? I'm not running a fever.
As you can probably tell, I'm freaking out. I would appreciate any advice anyone would have. Thanks!
Last edited by dianajune; 03-16-2011 at 03:59 PM.