It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Help! Pain after recent extraction & cold sensitivity

I posted a few days ago about a tooth I was going to have pulled. It was the bottom left molar. Well, it was yanked on Monday, just 2 days ago. The dentist did it with one pull, which absolutely surprised me. Of all the dentists I've seen over the years, he's the only one who did it that way. All the others would wiggle them around back and forth, etc.

The extraction I had 2 days ago was the easiest. Or so I thought....now I'm in extreme pain.

I was told to use a salt water rinse several times a day starting the day after the extraction. I was told to be on a soft diet for at least a couple of days. No straws until the following day. I did all that, and yesterday I felt pretty good.

Today I'm in agony. This molar had a space next to it that belonged to a tooth that was pulled years ago. Next to that is a tooth I broke and had repaired about 2 months ago...maybe a little less. From time to time after the repaired tooth was fixed, I'd bite down and it would feel sensitive, but nothing major.

But now that I've had this extractinon both the socket where that molar used to be and the tooth that was fixed a couple of months ago are extremely sensitive to cold stuff. I took a swallow of Diet Pepsi this afternoon in the wrong spot and both the socket and that tooth that was fixed were on fire. I thought I was going to die (just being facetious....it was awful).

It's still sore now. The socket seems to be healing when one looks at it but it doesn't feel that way. As a precaution, the dentist put me on antibiotics prior to the extraction and I'm done with them already.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is it normal to have sensitivity to temperature extremes - hot or cold - in the socket and teeth nearby?

2. How long can I expect to have the pain last?

3. The pain in that repaired tooth when I bite down is worse when I get up in the morning. Maybe I grind my teeth while sleeping? I don't know.

4. The socket looks like it's got white stuff on it. Kind of like when you bite the inside of your lip and it starts to heal. The clot is still there....never got dislodged. I've been using orasol (wally world's version of anbesol) to try to keep pain free. Was that wrong?

5. Is this an emergency? I'm not running a fever.

As you can probably tell, I'm freaking out. I would appreciate any advice anyone would have. Thanks!

Last edited by dianajune; 03-16-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
(male)

Jack2011 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Help! Pain after recent extraction & cold sensitivity

Hi I just had a severely infected tooth extracted 10 days ago and it is healing nicely. I found on the internet the following directions for after extractions:
1. Avoid extremely cold and specially avoid hot food for at least 5 days.
2. Rinse GENTLY with a tea spoon of baking soda in a half a glass of water. (Baking soda is better antiseptic than salt).
3. Gently clean socket with a gauze with peroxide after meals.
4. Rest.
5. The white thnig in the socket is OK, it gradually will change to pink.

It shouldn't be pain if you don't bother ypur socket. If severe pain does happen with no reason, you should call your dentist.
There appears to be a problem with your repaired tooth check it when you can.
I wish you a prompt recovery.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Re: Help! Pain after recent extraction & cold sensitivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2011 View Post
Hi I just had a severely infected tooth extracted 10 days ago and it is healing nicely. I found on the internet the following directions for after extractions:
1. Avoid extremely cold and specially avoid hot food for at least 5 days.
2. Rinse GENTLY with a tea spoon of baking soda in a half a glass of water. (Baking soda is better antiseptic than salt).
3. Gently clean socket with a gauze with peroxide after meals.
4. Rest.
5. The white thnig in the socket is OK, it gradually will change to pink.

It shouldn't be pain if you don't bother ypur socket. If severe pain does happen with no reason, you should call your dentist.
There appears to be a problem with your repaired tooth check it when you can.
I wish you a prompt recovery.

I didn't know that baking soda could be used. I'll have to try that. I don't have hydrogen peroxide but can pick it up at the store. At this moment I'm not suffering any pain. The socket doesn't bother me unless it's exposed to something cold. As for the other tooth, it doesn't reallly act up unless it's exposed to cold beverages.

I did a salt water rinse a short time ago and tolerated it better than the one I did when I got home from running an errand. I was foolish to test both the socket and the other tooth with ice cold diet soda. As for that tooth, I might have to have my dentist adjust the bite.

Thanks for your response!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
(male)

Jack2011 HB User
Re: Help! Pain after recent extraction & cold sensitivity

I'm glad you are feeling better. Take care.

Closed Thread