It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
(female)

MystickalMaven HB UserMystickalMaven HB User
I "want" dentures & need advice

Let me 1st say hello, I'm new.
I had beautiful teeth and never had even so much as a cavity until I was 21. My teeth were naturally straight and very white. Dentists would ask if I had braces as a child (no) After my 3rd child, the teeth went south.. I'd get fillings, went for cleanings, etc. I took care of my teeth but it didn't seem to matter.
5 years ago I became disabled and found a dentist that took payments. I asked back then about dentures and he said I was too young (35 then) He also said it would cost about 3k for dentures. I had every single tooth worked on over the course of 4 months. Turned out to cost a LOT more than 3K, but the fillings starting falling out quickly after and he then retired so I had to find another dentist to fix them.
I'm at the point of wanting dentures because quite frankly I'm tired of hurting or breaking a tooth on soft food. I just can't believe my teeth went so bad so quick. I have no dental insurance so implants are not an option sadly. My last visit I was told I needed root canals on almost every single tooth. From a finicaial standpoint, wouldn't dentures be cheaper? I've been reading posts here and I know a lot are in favor of keeping real teeth is possible, but a disability check is quite small and I have to pay bills and buy food too...I can't get a loan and I have only 2 kids in college (can't borrow money from them) no other family members to ask for any help. I'm tired of pain, tired of infections and tired of never smiling like I used to...any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
(female)

pymcat HB User
Re: I "want" dentures & need advice

sure real teeth are 100% better but if they dont work anymore and cause you suck pain then yes dentures would be better.
i was not a candidiate for implants as i have too much overall bone loss for them so i just got upper dentures.
had only 4 teeth upper and had a permanent bridge with another 4 teeth for lat 30 years. but they got loose and i was offered the option of a new permanent bridge( doing 4 root canals and two new crowns-all very expensive) or pulling the four teeth and getting upper. i did ..that cost $6000!!!.
i've had them for two weeks and surprisingly havent had a lot of problems such as talking "funny" whistling noises. etc.
as for eating. k true foods dont taste the same what with plastic covering palate and eating feels awkward but at least i know i wont have any more toothaches.

i'm sure its tough for you with no insurance but tooth pain is the worst pain i can think of.
hopefully you find a competent dentist.
i wonder if you are near any universities that have dentist programs..many times they have teaching clinics where your dentures might cost less. good lluck

Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

I have been to low cost clinics and they are terrible. I have a tip on a good dentist that does take payments, so I'll being going in for an initial exam.

I am afraid of the whistling noises, my face not looking right and chewing and so forth. My Mother got her uppers in her mid forties and went to the best and she never did look like herself, though she did have bone loss too.
I guess I'm just angry/upset about this situation in general, the fact that I can't afford dental insurance and that this does all boil down to the all mighty dollar.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
(female)

pymcat HB User

i can surely understand your fears.. in my past i too went to those crummy low cost dentists. i actually think if there was a university dental program you get better care as you have professors working with students.
your face should still look like your face ..whistling who knows but i read up before my dentures and all say it can be overcome..i'm lucky no whistling.
your mom's dentures in her 40's i dont know how long ago it might have been but if its been 10-20 years denture materials etc have evolved.

i am going back to dentist next week for a tune-up as the first week i had them they felt ok but last few days very painful on one side.
keep posting how your experience goes.

i keep thinking about all those movie stars from the 40's with their beautiful teeth and they didnt have implants then or veneers so nice looking false teeth are possible.
hey just figure you wont have to go thru all this when you are 80!!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hopefully the dentist your going to gives you a decent price and will accept a payment plan. Like you I always had great looking teeth with maybe 3 cavities at best, and those were very small. At age 32 I developed a cyst in my lower gum that needed removing along with JUST the front bottom teeth. Unfortuneatly by the time it came to have them extracted the cyst broke and all teeth had to be removed. Trust me, both my dentist and myself were devistated.

Luckily I had a great dentist who took his time making my dentures, as due to the infection of the cyst breaking I couldn't wear anything for over a month. As soon as I did finally get them my dentist made me say Mississippi just to make sure there was NO whistling, so not everyone gets that unless they are not made properly. Yes I had to go back a few times during the first 6 months as you get "sore spots" but they grind them down and eventually they fit fine. I've had 2 sets, last one still going after 34 years and I eat anything, even corn on the cob.

Best of luck and let us know how you make out..JJ..

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
(female)

My Mom just died at age 68 a few weeks ago, so her dentures were made about 20 years ago, she since had a few new ones made and none looked right on her. We have long thin faces in our family and I think that may be why?
While my front teeth look OK if you're not too close to me I'm ok. Almost all of my cavitieis were gumline and slowly one by one, those little suckers fall out (the fillings). I now do have missing fillings along the gumlines that are visible and you can see the decay. Last night, lost yet another filling on a back tooth and I'm waiting for it to hurt
Another topic I need to bring up is the fact that I've struggled with severe panic disorder for 18 years. Going to he dentist sets it off. I can't breathe, have heart palps. etc...I have never had a root canal, just extractions and fillings. I don't numb for long and I suspect that the extra adreline (sp?) does something to the injections. I'm in a burb of chicago and I know there are places I can go, except for the panic disorder I can't go if you get my meaning. Too far from home I can't do even with a family member. So yes, there is help I just can't get to it. Like I've said, I've had extractions - 6 to be exact and was ok with that, so I know at this point dentures is my only option.
I have read that you get a temp. set right away, then I've read you have to wait 3 months to heal...? does it depend on the dentist, I'm confused on that subject.
Also, my lower teeth are worse and I've been told a lower plate is harder to get used to, just thinking I should do lowers 1st, then wait a bit to do the uppers...

The following user gives a hug of support to MystickalMaven:
JJ (03-30-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hopefully you can do it without getting too upset. I am a very axious person too so the whole experience was a bit weird especially seeing I was NOT expecting to lose all.....

They do it very different now, some get dentures put in right away and others wait, I think it depends on each persons case. Like I said, due to the infection and having to scrape some bone where the cyst was, it made me have to wait. These days they have implants etc. although I don't think I would go that route for me, just a personal preference I guess.

Hang in there and hope you make out ok..JJ..

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
MystickalMaven (03-29-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
(female)

The weird thing is, I have no anxiety about extractions, just drilling & fillings since I don't stay numb and end up feeling it all. I have a consult next Monday and can't wait. I'll ask about immediate dentures, etc...thanks for the tips, advice & support

MM

Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I wish you great luck. Like I said, they do things way different today. Many of my friends had immediate dentures but due to my circumstance I couldn't. Oh well, it worked out ok anyway.

Best wishes....JJ....

BTW..I forgot to say I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited by JJ; 03-30-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added something

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
MystickalMaven (03-30-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

Hi all.

MM, I thought I would just share my opinion. I'm all about preserving the natural teeth. But if they can't be saved, or only temporarily saved, then it's best to just move on to other options. You mentioned the dentures and someone else shared their experience with dentures. Now a days, dentures aren't too horrible. They are definitely better then they were years ago. But there's is an alternative to dentures called over dentures (you can look it up). They're like, horse shape dentures with the upper pallet being open and they are held in with 2 to 4 implants. This makes them more permanent and sturdy, and you can taste food again! And don't have to deal with the adhesives. Of course, you would first have to be candidate for dental implant. If there is bone loss, don't forget that you can always get a bone graft. You can talk to a periodontist for more info on bone grafts for dental implants.

And for the anxiety, you can find a practice that uses general anesthesia so you can be completely under, if you feel like you can't get it done with local anesthesia and laughing gas.

But definitely shop around and get consultations and compare prices before choosing one. And make sure you feel completely comfortable with the practice before commiting.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
(female)

Trust me, I am a shop-a-rounder, LOL and I have to feel comfortable with who I choose. No mention was made about my done density, but I can ask. I'm on Medicare/Mediaid and they problaly don't pay for implants, but you never know until you ask. I just found out that medicare/aid does pay for extractions, but not sure what limits they have and I'm sure they do. On Monday the 4th I know more

Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
(female)

slushia HB User

Hi,I got a denture when I was 24,now I'm 26,to tell u the trutt I don't like them plus I can't smile anymore and they can pull ur teeth apart but I didnnt have a choice,the milk tooth won't fall off and an x-ray showed that Imy permanent tooth was blocked by somethin
g.I ended up with a denture and a crown,so pathetic,but what can I do?life goes on

Closed Thread