It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
(female)

JawPains HB User
Jaw Pain After Wisdom Tooth Extraction

I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted under general anesthesia on Friday. They were all impacted and had not surfaced through the gums. When I got home on Friday all I wanted to do was sleep. On Saturday I was pretty sore and VERY swollen but the pain was very manageable with the pain meds. On Sunday, as I was told, the swelling reached it's peak but again the pain was nothing that the medications couldn't control. I am an elementary school teacher so I took Monday off from work. I have been doing warm salt water rinses throughout the day and rinsing with the rx rinse three times a day.

Everything seems to be healing fine EXCEPT for the fact that I cannot open my mouth without having a horrible pain in my jaw. I can get it open wide enough to fit one finger in between my top and bottom row of teeth. I keep biting the sides of my cheeks and they feel like raw skin at this point. I have called the oral surgeon's office and was told to apply moist heat to the jaw joint, massage it, and push myself to open my jaw a little wider and wider. I spent the whole day trying to do this yesterday and I felt like I was tearing every ligament in my jaw as I tried to open it. This morning when I woke up the pain in my jaw was even worse. I haven't been able to eat anything other than soup, yogurt, and plain ice cream for the last 5 days. Is this normal? I don't feel pain where they took out the teeth...all the pain is coming from my jaw and my cheeks from where I have been accidentally biting them. When can I expect to feel better???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Jaw Pain After Wisdom Tooth Extraction

DONT keep testing your jaw, opening it up wider and wider. You had extensive dental work done and your mouth needs to heal and your jaw needs time also. Personally I think that
forcing your swollen jaw open is TERRIBLE advice.

Stay on a soft diet for a few days. Take Advil as needed for discomfort and/or swelling.
Feel better soon.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
(female)

chula619 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawPains View Post
I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted under general anesthesia on Friday. They were all impacted and had not surfaced through the gums. When I got home on Friday all I wanted to do was sleep. On Saturday I was pretty sore and VERY swollen but the pain was very manageable with the pain meds. On Sunday, as I was told, the swelling reached it's peak but again the pain was nothing that the medications couldn't control. I am an elementary school teacher so I took Monday off from work. I have been doing warm salt water rinses throughout the day and rinsing with the rx rinse three times a day.

Everything seems to be healing fine EXCEPT for the fact that I cannot open my mouth without having a horrible pain in my jaw. I can get it open wide enough to fit one finger in between my top and bottom row of teeth. I keep biting the sides of my cheeks and they feel like raw skin at this point. I have called the oral surgeon's office and was told to apply moist heat to the jaw joint, massage it, and push myself to open my jaw a little wider and wider. I spent the whole day trying to do this yesterday and I felt like I was tearing every ligament in my jaw as I tried to open it. This morning when I woke up the pain in my jaw was even worse. I haven't been able to eat anything other than soup, yogurt, and plain ice cream for the last 5 days. Is this normal? I don't feel pain where they took out the teeth...all the pain is coming from my jaw and my cheeks from where I have been accidentally biting them. When can I expect to feel better???
I'm feeling the same way, but my dentist said is normal to have pain in my jaw and my other teeth
I'm taking Vicodin and its helping me a lot, the pain is terrible but there's nothing u can do just hang in there try to focus and something else, I have 2 babies imagine :/
Good luck hope you feel better.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
You may have developed trismas. The jaw muscles go into spasm from you having to have your mouth open for a long time (the extractions), plus the surgical trauma and swelling.

I had the exact same thing except I couldn't open my mouth any further than a straw.
I felt like I had lockjaw!! It was very painful, too.

Only thing you can do is warm compresses, gentle massage, and I tried to gently chew some gum. It took a full month before I was able to eat anything thicker than a slice of pizza.

It did go away though. Time was my friend there.

Hope this helps and yours goes away alot quicker.
Best to you,
Gellia

Closed Thread