It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
(male)

skunumbers1 HB User
Question Wisdom teeth extraction

I am having my four wisdom teeth removed on Friday; one is a fully erupted (simple extraction), two are partially impacted (both on the bottom), and the other is impacted. Will the three that are not impacted be easier to remove and less painful to recover from? Also, is it at all true that wisdom teeth removed from the top of the mouth are less painful?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
(female)

Bermuda89 HB User
Re: Wisdom teeth extraction

I just had one of my top wisdom teeth out yesterday. It had chipped a few months ago. When they did my e-xray at the consultation they said there was an extra wisdom tooth above the one they were taken out. So they took them both out. The extra one was called Partial bone impact. Knock on wood second day I have no pain. The sugery itself is not bad I Was very nervous. I had iv sedation all I remember is the iv going in and then waking up. I think the surgery only took 10 minutes. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

dnc77 HB User

As far as I know, the ones that are not impacted will be easier - i'm not sure if this depends on their location though. All 4 of mine were impacted. I had a top one out in the dental chair about 3 yrs ago (no sedation) and i was SO nervous about it but all went fine. I didn't even have any bleeding afterwards. The bottom ones were more difficult as they were in the bone, therefore required surgery. I knew this and put it off for years, but finally had them out (along with the other top one) about 5 weeks ago, under GA. I can honestly say that it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I recommend being very vigilant with the ice - not only does it make you feel better but it helps a lot with swelling. Make sure you have good painkillers on hand too, in case you do need it! Good luck

Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
(male)

skunumbers1 HB User

I had them removed yesterday. Took a long while for the bleeding to stop; I went through lots of gauze. The time between the local anesthetic wearing off and the pain killer kicking in was really bad. I wish I had used the ice bag more, but I was just really uncomfortable. I woke up with my left cheek extremely swollen. I didn't anticipate all this drooling either. I ate a yogurt and some lime Jello at about 6 pm, but then vomited at about 8 pm; don't know if that was from all the meds on an empty stomach or just from the anesthesia or maybe from swallowing blood. I'm not in too much pain today, so I just took Advil. I ate another yogurt and Cream of Wheat for breakfast and just had some more Jello.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

dnc77 HB User

Sorry, I missed this reply...sounds like you had a rough first few days It was probably a mixture of them all, and the pain too. They told me at the chemist (when i got my medications) that even a glass of water with the medication is ok Ė as long as you have something in your stomach! I thought that was interesting. So...it's been abt a month now... hope you are feeling a lot better? You should be eating ok again by now at least! I remember when i got to 3 weeks they said i was about halfway :S
It's been almost 10 wks since my surgery now though, and I'm pretty much recovered. The sockets are almost healed and i donít any problem with pain or food getting stuck anymore which is great. Even my jaw is feeling more normal again. I actually had a lower molar out last week (it was damaged by my wisdom tooth) so I have been recovering from that too!

Closed Thread