It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
(male)

ShakeyJ HB User
Lump In The Floor Of The Mouth

Underneath my tongue and in the floor of my mouth there's what feels like a swollen, bumpy, tubular lump that runs all along the bottom of the boney ridge beneath my teeth. It's not painful but it sometimes changes slightly in shape and becomes more rigid after I've eaten. It appeared around six months ago but has got more prominent in the last four weeks.

I went to my doctor who advised me to go to my dentist who I'm seeing again in two weeks.

I've researched it like crazy on the internet but cannot find anything that sounds like what it is. I can only assume it's a swelling of the sublingual glands or possibly salivary glands. It's not painful but on the one side, I sometimes get a slight swelling under my jaw (on the outside) and this has a mild burning sensation to it. I'm baffled. I saw my dentist who only picked up on a slight 'tori' (I think that's the right spelling). I will raise the issue again when I see him in two weeks and ask him to do a thorough check of the floor of my mouth.

Does anyone have any idea on what this could be?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

I hope it isn't cancerous as I teach English abroad and I'm worried any surgery would hamper my speech!

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
(female)

Fitfriendly1973 HB User
Re: Lump In The Floor Of The Mouth

Get an oral cancer screening!!!! not saying that is what it is but I sell an oral cancer screening ViziLite which detects what the normal eye cannot see. Since this has persists for a long time get to your dentist ASAP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
It could very well be a tori. They are bony outgrowths. Did your dentist do an xray?
Most of the time tories are not a problem unless they grow large, impede speech or interrupt teeth. Also, dentures are harder to fit if a tori is present.

If you're going to the dentist again ask him if he thinks it's a tori and to explain them to you. They are not cancerous.

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Gellia

Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

If it is hard and attached to the bone on the tongue side of the mandible it is probably a torus (plural 'tori').
If it is immediately under the tongue and can be moved it is probably a sialolith- a stone in the salivary duct.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User

tori do not vary in size like you are experiencing.

the swelling after eating indicates blocked salivary gland tissue leading up to the ducts. it could be blocked for any number of reasons and a microbial infection is a possible culprit.

if not infection, a stone (just like gall bladder stone or kidney stone) is the next likely suspect, esp if a mass is always there.

it could also be both, causing the saliva to be blocked within part of the duct while eating and creating the long buldge which resolves in an hour or two. a dentist can rule out the sialolith (stone) in seconds by taking a couple of radiographs. removal is straightforward, and if an infection isn't present you can wait to have it treated when you get home if it won't be too long. be mindful though, that a stone like this is a magnet for infection induction because the disrupted and blocked fluid flow in the gland allows bacteria to accumulate faster than the body can clear it. doc may prescribe an antibiotic course.

i don't mean to scare you, but the involvement of the nerve is often associated with a tumor. (don't forget, this could be benign or malignant). tumors can develop quickly and often impinge on nearby nerves causing odd sensations as well as pain. burning could also be from the acidic nature of an infection in close proximity to the nerve. in which case, the same removal will be done as above, and a biopsy will be done just to sure.

this is the decision tree the dentist will go through in diagnosing this. get on it immediately, *tomorrow*, with either a dentist or an oral surgeon rule out anything sinister right away. good luck and let us know how it goes if you can. (i am suggesting an oral surgeon because the dentist you went to did not suggest quick followthrough and i don't know if he's the only dentist in your town or not. call early and insist on being seen same day.)

Old 07-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User
Exclamation Re: Lump In The Floor Of The Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabetho View Post
tori do not vary in size like you are experiencing. you may well have tori, but they are not causing these symptoms.

the swelling after eating indicates blocked salivary gland tissue leading up to the ducts. it could be blocked for any number of reasons and a microbial infection is a possible culprit.

if not infection, a stone (just like gall bladder stone or kidney stone) is the next likely suspect, esp if a mass is always there.

it could also be both, causing the saliva to be blocked within part of the duct while eating and creating the long buldge which resolves in an hour or two. a dentist can rule out the sialolith (stone) in seconds by taking a couple of radiographs. removal is straightforward, and if an infection isn't present you can wait to have it treated when you get home if it won't be too long. be mindful though, that a stone like this is a magnet for infection induction because the disrupted and blocked fluid flow in the gland allows bacteria to accumulate faster than the body can clear it. doc may prescribe an antibiotic course.

i don't mean to scare you, but the involvement of the nerve is often associated with a tumor. (don't forget, this could be benign or malignant). tumors can develop quickly and often impinge on nearby nerves causing odd sensations as well as pain. burning could also be from the acidic nature of an infection in close proximity to the nerve. in which case, the same removal will be done as above, and a biopsy will be done just to sure.

this is the decision tree the dentist will go through in diagnosing this. get on it immediately, *tomorrow*, with either a dentist or an oral surgeon rule out anything sinister right away. good luck and let us know how it goes if you can. (i am suggesting an oral surgeon because the dentist you went to did not suggest quick followthrough and i don't know if he's the only dentist in your town or not. call early and insist on being seen same day.)

Closed Thread