It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

Relevant HB User
Root Canal with core build-up????

I need a root canal done on a back molar that already has a crown on it. They say I need a core build up. Why would I need that when they say the crown will not need to be removed they will just drill through it and then plug it basically. I thought a core build-up was to build up a tooth so a crown could be put on. My appt is on Monday and today is friday. One dentist said he would charge me 275 another said around 100. That's a big difference and I don't understand why I need it. (My dentist asked them to do it) help please.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Root Canal with core build-up????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relevant View Post
I need a root canal done on a back molar that already has a crown on it. They say I need a core build up. Why would I need that when they say the crown will not need to be removed they will just drill through it and then plug it basically.
I had a root canal of a back molar, through an existing crown. Nobody said anything about a "core buildup", since, as you say, the crown did not need to be removed. They drilled through it and then plugged it.

Quote:
I thought a core build-up was to build up a tooth so a crown could be put on.
That is correct.

Quote:
My appt is on Monday and today is friday. One dentist said he would charge me 275 another said around 100. That's a big difference and I don't understand why I need it. (My dentist asked them to do it) help please.
Doctors and dentists make their salaries based on services rendered. The more they can charge you, the more they make. It's simple math. You are at their mercy. We all hope to find honest and competent doctors and dentists, who are good at what they do.

Unless it is an emergency, you might want to get a full explanation for why you need a core buildup before you have it done. You should also get the estimates of charges in writing.

How good is your dental surgeon? How many root canals has he done?

My dentist and my dental surgeon are exceptional. My root canal went very, very well! I did not have much discomfort after the two hour procedure. In fact, I just had a tooth pulled yesterday. Didn't need any pain meds and feel great today.

Best of luck to you, and I hope that the root canal goes very well for you, at a minimum of cost!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-06-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I agree. Ask WHY you need a core build up and explain what you know it to be.
Your knowledge is correct. If you don't get an adequate answer you may want to go elsewhere.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
(female)

Relevant HB User

Thanks everyone for your replys. My appt is Monday at 1:30 and now the soonest I can cancel is Monday morning so less then 24 hr notice. I'm just really uneasy about this whole thing. I obviously need the RC because as soon as I go off the antibiotic (clindamycin 150mg) the infection comes back and is then very painful. but the core build-up I just don't understand.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
(female)

Relevant HB User

update: I went to the endodontist on Monday and found out what they call a core build-up is just a filling in the crown! I am correct in my understanding of what a core build up really is. It turns out the crown can not be saved anyway but it makes me mad that they are calling a basic plug of filling in a crown a core build-up. I am happy with the root canal, at least so far. It looks like the root is not cracked and the tooth can be saved. I am on antibiotics for 14 days then get the crown taken off by the dentist then over to the endodontist to have the rc completed. I personally know she could have taken the crown off but ok she ~specializes~. Anyway so far so good. Thanks again for the replies it helps to get others advice.

Closed Thread