It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

ScaredGirl87 HB User
Unhappy Flossing Too Hard And Periodontal Maintainance Appointments Making My Gums Worse?

In July 2010, I had my pockets measured for the first time and they were really good: 1-3 mm with a few 4s and one 5. Keep in mind that before that point, I never flossed correctly (just snapped it in and out) but brushed twice daily. I had a deep cleaning done and that one 5 turned into a 4.

Since then, I have been flossing the RIGHT way and still brushing twice daily. I've been doing periodontal maintainance every three months. Now my pockets are 1-3 with a lot of 4s, 5s and even one 6!

Is it possible that I am flossing too hard and that the periodontal maintainance is actually CAUSING my pockets to get worse? I'm only 24 and I am really scared I'll lose all my teeth by the time I'm 30. This is all so unfair--I do everything they tell me to and my pockets are getting deeper! I'm thinking of flossing the way I used to (snap in and out without doing the C curve) and not going to any more periodontal maintainance appointments. Maybe my pockets will shrink and I won't have to pay for useless cleanings? Help!

Last edited by ScaredGirl87; 05-20-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
(female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User
Re: Flossing Too Hard And Periodontal Maintainance Appointments Making My Gums Worse?

I know how you feel. I am 29 years old and about 2 years ago was the first time that I went in and they measured the pockets. Just like you they were Some 1-3 and some 4-5. It is devastating to not see these go down, especially considering I do also brush twice a day and floss correctly. One of the dentist that I was seeing last year said that I was doing great and that they were all 1-3 and only a couple 4. So I thought YAY!!!!!!!!! Well when I started at a new dentist here in Louisiana, I was told that I still had some 4-5 and a 6. I though I was doing good. So I started using a Water Pic. This is now my regular night routine. Brush, floss, water pic, mouth wash, then a prescription tooth paste, (I don't rinse after the last one) I then pop my night guard in and go to bed. Morning: brush, floss, mouthwash. Afternoon soon days: brush, floss, mouthwash. I too am afraid that I am going to be losing my teeth at an early age, which again is devastating. I wish I had a magic solution that would make the issue go away for you, but I don't it is just a matter of keeping the pockets cleaned out. I didn't start using the water pic until about 3 weeks ago and I go in for my cleaning in the middle of June, so hopefully it is working.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
(female)

ScaredGirl87 HB User
Re: Flossing Too Hard And Periodontal Maintainance Appointments Making My Gums Worse?

Hi Armywife2007,

Thank you for the reply. It is all so depressing--I've been searching gum disease forums for a few days now, and instead of finding reassurance, all I am finding is frightened people. :'(

Sincerely,
ScaredGirl87

Last edited by ScaredGirl87; 05-21-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
(female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User

I know that feeling too. Unfortunately once you have the pockets, you have to do whatever possible to keep food and debris out of it. Otherwise it will get worse. If the area isn't keep clean (extra cleanings we go to) then sooner or later there could be some bone loss. If that is to happen then depending on the severity of the bone loss, you could loose your teeth. I personally would rather go and get the extra cleanings and be on the safe side then to have to deal with the latter. I remember reading a poster at my old dentist office. It said something similar to this: "If you want to skip going to the dentist, put the money that you would have spend on the cleaning into a savings account. (either twice a year or for myself it would be 4 times a year) and when it comes time for you to need dentures, you will be financially ready. Or go ahead and see the dentist and possible save your teeth for a lifetime."

Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
I had the same problem. My pockets ranged from 1-3 and there is one or two at 4 now. The 4's were 5 and 6's.

I started to use dental piks. They are like little plastic brushes. At night, I use the dental pik ("The Doctors" makes a great brand) and then floss. I follow that with my regular brushing and then a water pik. It has worked GREAT for me. My periodontist was after me to have gum surgery but since I started using the piks and the water pik, my pockets have improved and the surgery is now off for good.

You may want to try them. They can reach deeper than regular floss (I use that too, in the morning) and the plus is there is no gum pain from plaque getting into the pocket where a regular toothbrush can't reach.

Hope this helps!
My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
(male)

ospen HB User

These stories are very similar to what I'm experiencing too. I'm 32 and have had decent dental health for a few years. I use a sonicare brush and a waterpik. I have a cleaning every 4 months. For about 3 years, I had mostly 3 and 4 pockets. But a month ago, I started getting 5s. My dentist sent me to a perio. The perio recommended scaling and planing with bone grafts--a total of $6400, most of which would not be covered by insurance.

I felt that treatment plan sounded drastic, so I went for a 2nd opinion. Second perio says there is periodontitis, but mild. He recommended to do at least scaling and planing, and to do a laser-assisted gum therapy (LANAP) as the better course of action--roughly $2500 for LANAP.

So this is just all very depressing, scary, and now I feel like I don't know whether to trust these perios or if they are just making money grabs. What the perios say (and is consistent with my own reading) is that beyond 3mm pockets, there is an increasing likelihood in disease progression because it becomes very difficult to clean deep pockets at home. And apparently there is a genetic component. Since gum disease is partly caused by your own immune system reacting too aggressively to the bacteria and causing bone loss as a side effect, some people get gum disease regardless of how well they brush/floss. So this is all just super depressing the more I read about it.

So what I'd really like to hear is what other people have done in terms of treatment. Is your dentist recommending any perio treatment? Has anyone gotten to 5s and not gotten treatment? What happened afterwards? Has anyone gotten LANAP and not gotten better?

Last edited by ospen; 05-23-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Closed Thread