It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
(male)

Wizzle HB User
The Life of an Abscess?

I've had a dull but constant ache for about 3 months in my lower gum, I think it's coming from a tooth that had a small fracture, then got patched up with a filling, and is now acting up again.

I've been to 2 dentist, they both performed x-rays and neither of them could find anything. I also had mono at the same time, which they thought was a sinus infection, so I was put on 2 rounds of antibiotics - which in that time made my gums feel relieved..which leads me to believe even more that I have a gum infection.

My question now is, what am I supposed to do from here?
The gum is tender, and has that constant ache, but there is no boil, no blood, am I just supposed to wait til it does enough damage to be seen? I was thinking of having my dentist remove the filling on the tooth that I think is the culprit, would he be able to see something underneath the filling if it's infected? I've read raw potatoes and tea bags can draw out the infection, perhaps I should try to 'induce' it to the stage of a visible abscess?

I know something is going on, waiting around for it to get worse is something I'm having a hard time living with. How long do these things take to finally show? I'm to the point where I'm yelling at my gums in the mirror, demanding it to grow a pair and confront me instead of all this vague symptom garbage.

BLAH!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
(male)

Wizzle HB User
Re: The Life of an Abscess?

I called my dentist today asking some of these questions. He didn't seem to care too much about my issues (same reason I left my last dentist). He said there is nothing he can do until it manifests into something more.

I find it sad that we can put people on the moon but we can't do anything about the early stages of a gum infection. Maybe there are ways to treat it but the dentist don't make as much money giving you the cure, so they wait until you're desperate in pain and misery, then suck your bank account dry.

I've had it with this bs, I'm thinking about just knocking the tooth out myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
(male)

dknight211 HB Userdknight211 HB User

An abscess generally shows up on dental xrays because it shows up a little darker than the surrounding area. A long term abscess will also lead to a little bone loss at the area. Perhaps you might be able to get a copy of your dental xrays to show another dentist?
Do you have any swollen lymph nodes, which are a sign of an infection.

I think if the dentist removes the filling and drills away tooth to check for infection, you might end up with having to do a root canal, especially if the drilling reaches the root canal area.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
(male)

Wizzle HB User

I've actually had 2 sets of xrays done, by 2 different dentist since this has been going on, neither could see anything on xrays, and both told me it could take months of damage before anything would begin to show on a xray. They both did tap test on the suspected tooth, poked and probed, at my teeth and gums, there is a sensation if I push directly on the gum, but I wouldn't really say it's all that painful.

My lymph node in my neck, on the same side as the ache has been enlarged and irritated the whole time. I had blood test done and they found out that I still have mono in my system, so I'm having a hard time telling what symptoms are being caused by what. I've been considering getting ultrasound or biopsy on the lymph node just to make sure it isn't cancer or something, but I don't have insurance and the multiple doctors and dentist bills are piling up pretty quickly.

As for the filling, thought if they just removed it, without drilling the tooth, maybe there would be some visible decay, or evidence of an infection right there.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
(male)

dknight211 HB Userdknight211 HB User

If you have a metal or mercury / amalgam filling, it's probably an additional benefit to get it replaced with a resin filling as those are not toxic and don't cause teeth fractures.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
(male)

Wizzle HB User

I'm not sure what kind of filling it is to be honest, it's silver in color, I had it put in about a year ago. I've had SO many fillings, most of them are dark silver color, a few are white..I'm now 32, so I'm guessing they are all going to start breaking down sooner than later now.

My dentist pretty much said (though not directly) not to come back until there's more proof of anything going wrong, my next cleaning is in October. So unless stuff goes down hill between now and then, I probably won't be able to get any work done.

I can still try to get a copy of the most recent x-rays and post it here to see if anyone here can see anything.

I do appreciate your replies dknight. I've been so stressed for 3 months and I can't seem to find a way to resolve all of this.

Closed Thread