It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

jeanetteblanks HB User
Does the tooth positioner even teeth??

I am currently in braces. The ortho advised me that I will be getting them off in about 3 weeks and he will be putting me in a positioner for one week. -- When he put the brackets on, I noticed the one on my left front tooth (central incisor) was a little lower than the right. My two teeth WERE completely even before the braces, but now the left one is slightly shorter than the right because the brackets went on uneven. It would not be AS obvious, had the laterals next to them not been long. So, basically I have two laterals that are level to ONE of my centrals and the other central is short...everyone says I am being picky, but I keep bringing it up to the ortho and he did put a SLIGHT kink in the wire, but it didn't do much and when I ask again he keeps dismissing it. I paid over 5 thousand dollars, OUT OF POCKET, so I think I have a right to be "picky" when it's my two FRONT teeth. -- My question is: Will this positioner move that tooth at all or do I need to really go in and address my issues before he takes these things off? I've tried to do some research online, but it's all dental terminology that I don't understand. I'm tempted at this point to check with another ortho and ask him/her if I need to continue this elsewhere, which would SUCK because it's going to be MORE money. I hate to assume this guy isn't going to fix it, but I don't want to find out when it's too late. I mean, sadly, every time I address something with him, he gets very offended and is pretty much grumpy about it. He's been in business for 30 something years, so again, I hate to assume he's not going to fix it. But there comes a time where a person that should retire doesn't...and I have to ask myself if this is the case here. ANY advice would be really helpful, cause I'm going out of my mind trying to figure out what to do. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
(female)

ctchik HB User
Re: Does the tooth positioner even teeth??

My positioner did not improve the positioning of my teeth, nor was I advised that it would as it was given to me to retain the teeth when my braces treatment was complete. It did not fully retain them either. Once the braces were removed, they immediately started to move even with strict use of the positioner (which is extremely inconvenient for the first few weeks). The positioner also broke within 1 year. In hindsight, I wish I had gone for the retainer.

Closed Thread