It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

Mandy10 HB User
Water Pik and periodontal pockets

Has anyone tried using a water pik to reduce perio pockets? I have had laser surgery twice, only to find out that my molars have gone from 5's back to 6's
and 7's again .I brush with a sonic care,floss, rinse- don't know what else to try. I am trying to avoid flap surgery. Also, does anyone have any feedback about using a C0q10 toothpaste?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User
Re: Water Pik and periodontal pockets

I am not sure about the toothpaste because I personally just use the new crest pro heath gum protection. But I too have some pockets around my molars and just recently I have started using the water pic. So I don't know if it is working or not until my next appointment. My nightly routine: Brush, floss, water pic, mouthwash, another toothpaste that I don't rinse out, and then place my night-guard. My morning routine isn't as much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
(male)

dknight211 HB Userdknight211 HB User

Experiences will vary depending on your own specific condition, but I have used an oral irrigation device (a "water pik") everyday for the past 7 years and can give some details on my own experience.

I have inflammed gums and deep periodontal pockets, and the water pik has not helped to reduce those pockets in the several years of use. Dental visits over the years have confirmed only a minor improvement, but barely noticeable.

Despite this, I find a waterpik device something I must use everyday now because although it has not improved my gum pockets, I think it has prevented it from getting worse. It's because such devices easily and efficiently dislodges food particles that might be stuck in between teeth and in the gum pockets. If this food wasn't removed, it would feed bacteria that can later cause additional inflammation or infection.

My only serious advice is to start the pressure very low and keep it as low as possible. Too much water pressure can hurt your gums, or worse, force food particles and bacteria deeper into the gums. If you have bleeding gums, you also don't want to force the bacteria into the bloodstream. Slow and gentle is the trick

Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
My personal experience is similar to dknight.

One thing that I have found that has helped even more than the water pik is dental piks or brushes. "The Doctor's" makes a great brand and I use them every day along with regular flossing. My gums are no longer sore at all and there is no bleeding whatsoever anymore.

My periodontist is very pleased too as he had been after me to have gum flap surgery.
Since I started using the piks, the surgery is off permanently.

I use the water pik at night after I use the dental piks. It amazes me how well it does help.

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Gellia

Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
(male)

ospen HB User

Mandy - Can you tell me more about your experience with the laser treatment? This was the LANAP, right? How deep were your pockets when the treatment was recommended to you? How much did they charge you for it? How much better did your pockets get after treatement? And how long after treatment did the pockets get worse again?

Sorry for so many questions. I was just recommended the LANAP from my perio and I'm just trying to get a sense of other people's experiences.

(My understanding of the Waterpik is that it helps with irrigation above the gumline, but it has limited effect below the gumline.)

Old 05-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
(female)

Mandy10 HB User

I had the laser treatment done in 2006. Everything was doing OK until 2009 when I began having trouble with my molars again. Had the molars done again with the laser, pockets were reduced to 4's and 5's. Now they are at 6's and 7's. I am scheduled to have scaling done again in a few weeks to see if that helps. It's a never ending battle...

Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
(female)

Mandy10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight211 View Post
Experiences will vary depending on your own specific condition, but I have used an oral irrigation device (a "water pik") everyday for the past 7 years and can give some details on my own experience.

I have inflammed gums and deep periodontal pockets, and the water pik has not helped to reduce those pockets in the several years of use. Dental visits over the years have confirmed only a minor improvement, but barely noticeable.

Despite this, I find a waterpik device something I must use everyday now because although it has not improved my gum pockets, I think it has prevented it from getting worse. It's because such devices easily and efficiently dislodges food particles that might be stuck in between teeth and in the gum pockets. If this food wasn't removed, it would feed bacteria that can later cause additional inflammation or infection.

My only serious advice is to start the pressure very low and keep it as low as possible. Too much water pressure can hurt your gums, or worse, force food particles and bacteria deeper into the gums. If you have bleeding gums, you also don't want to force the bacteria into the bloodstream. Slow and gentle is the trick
Have you had any sort of procedures done to reduce your pockets? You said you have prevented them from getting worse-do you know the depth of them? I am just wondering if I can just keep "maintaining" without getting the tradational surgery.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
(male)

dknight211 HB Userdknight211 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy10 View Post
Have you had any sort of procedures done to reduce your pockets? You said you have prevented them from getting worse-do you know the depth of them? I am just wondering if I can just keep "maintaining" without getting the tradational surgery.
I had root planing a couple years ago, but for me, that irritated my gums for a month and did not help. Most pockets are in the 4 and 5 range for me.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Same with me. I had root planing and scaling done about three years ago. That, along with rigorous at home oral hygiene and going for professional cleanings every three months has reduced pockets that were 5 and 6's to 4's and less.

I have really found that the dental piks have helped alot. My periodontist no longer feels I will need gum flap surgery.

It may not work for everyone as genetics does play a large role in periodontal disease.

Hope this helps. Try the dental piks. "The Doctor's" are the best I've found but there are many. They clean much better than floss, IMO.

Bet to you,
Gellia

Old 05-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
(female)

dizzygal954 HB Userdizzygal954 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Water Pik and periodontal pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellia View Post
Hi,
My personal experience is similar to dknight.

One thing that I have found that has helped even more than the water pik is dental piks or brushes. "The Doctor's" makes a great brand and I use them every day along with regular flossing. My gums are no longer sore at all and there is no bleeding whatsoever anymore.

My periodontist is very pleased too as he had been after me to have gum flap surgery.
Since I started using the piks, the surgery is off permanently.

I use the water pik at night after I use the dental piks. It amazes me how well it does help.

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Gellia
hey gellia, are your on m e d help too?....=) its me turkee23....lol....im pretty sure it you, if not, im sorry for bothering you!

Last edited by dizzygal954; 05-30-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
(male)

prince043 HB User

I just started useing CoQ10 toothpaste and am not sure if its really doing any good. I also take CoQ10 pills once a day. I have noticied that I dont have any bleeding anymore with my gums however this good be due to me doing a better job with flossing. If you get any other feedback on the toothpaste please let me know if you get a chance, Im curious to know if it helps.

Closed Thread