It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
(female)

Relevant HB User
Bone Loss

I had a RC done on a back molar. It was very infected for a long time and the endodontist told me I had a lot of bone loss. The tooth was a slight bit loose but has tightened up since the RC and hopefully the infection is gone. My question is can the bone build back up again? I was always told I had good bone structure until this happened. Is there something I can do to help re-build the bone? Also I am in my 50's so my body is no longer building bone.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Bone Loss

Hi,
There really is nothing you can do to build bone back up. If your tooth has tightened up there should be enough bone there to still support it.

The only way bone can be built back is with a bone graft.

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
Relevant (05-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

Hi relevant. I too went to the dentist for a cleaning and my back two teeth are slightly loose. The dentisy informed me that I too have bone loss. It's geneic and he told me there is nothing I could do but wait for the day I get dentures. I wanted to look forward to my real chompers in my old age. My mother has alot of bone loss on her lower jaw and has dentures. So my advice is to go with the flow and I guess dentures are not that bad, for others-now me and you? included. If you do find what can help please post. Take care Dee088

The Following User Says Thank You to dee088 For This Useful Post:
Relevant (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

Relevant HB User

Thank you for your replies. Not good news huh? I'm just going to try to eat healthy foods and cut back on my sugar goodies that I love. Take my multi-vitamin and calcium supplement. What else can a person do? not much I guess. Growing old is not for cowards.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

If that tooth has tightened back up you should be OK. Try being gentle with it for awhile. I had a lower front tooth that was very loose after root planing and scaling but it tightened up just fine. Took a few months though.

Good luck and welcome to the "not for cowards club"! LOL

My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
(male)

misry HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relevant View Post
Thank you for your replies. Not good news huh? I'm just going to try to eat healthy foods and cut back on my sugar goodies that I love. Take my multi-vitamin and calcium supplement. What else can a person do? not much I guess. Growing old is not for cowards.
yes , eating healthy food is very good especially the food with

vitamin c , d and calcium .

also you have to maintain your mouth and gingiva in a healthy condition
by flossing and brushing .

bone graft is good way to rebuild bone but it not always give excellent results .

be healthy .

Thanks

Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
(female)

Relevant HB User

thank-you. I'm pretty good at the brushing and flossing. I just think I had the infection for so long before I figured out it was the tooth and that's what caused the bone loss because the bone under my other teeth seems to be ok.

I thought I had an ear infection because my ear hurt and then the whole side of my head hurt so it was weeks before the tooth actually started to hurt to the point that I knew it was the tooth.

Then my Dad had an accident and I had to fly out of state and stay with him for awhile which was not the ideal thing to have to do. Anyway praying for the best and I go back to the Endodontist in 6 months and I will check back in to let others know what it's doing. The endodontist said it was possible for bone grow back but at my age I am skeptical.

Closed Thread