It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

ajm1980 HB User
need help badly, in so much pain

so...basically i have teeth in my head that are broken off at the roots and that are so badly decayed and broken that i can not live a normal life anymore. It has gotten to the point where i can not hold employment because i can not sleep and can not eat because of the amount of pain and swelling in my mouth. I have not been able to afford insurance and now I am very low to no income bracket. I have tried and tried and tried to find any place in my home state of KY that offers low income Oral Surgery, or sliding scale....and to no avail. I have already been to a free dental clinic but they said my teeth are so bad that they cant do anything and i must be seen by a surgeon. my problem is that the surgeon they referred me too will cost me over 2000 up front, before the precedure and i make 58 dollars a week right now....i can not afford that, but I am afraid that the infections will spread and kill me if i do not get this taken care of immediately. I have tried nearby states and found no Sliding scale oral surgeons that will accept out of state patients....can anyone ANYONE help me find an oral surgeon, at this point i prefer east coast, but anywhere that can extract my teeth on a sliding scale fee system??

Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: need help badly, in so much pain

Try a dental school at a University. You may have to set up payments, but don't we all. Dental insurance doesn't pay much per year.

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
As pupcake said, dental schools may be a good choice. You might also try CreditCare. They provide low interest or no interest loans for medical and dental care. I have no first hand information about them but it might be worth a shot to inquire.

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Check out the charity Remote Area Medical, they may be operating in your area. Dentists give their time free if they volunteer for this charity so they are not all greedy money grabbers.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
(male)

TEXAN47 HB User

ajm1980, Wish I could help you,but I need dental work too. I am looking for a dentist that will let me pay it out by the month.Some dentists offer care credit to help pay for dental work,but I have read a lot of negative comments about care credit. I do hope and pray that you find someone to help you with the dental problems.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User

there has to be someone in your area participating in voluntary programs, usually put together by the local dental societies. they will have an event every so often and general dentists and oral surgeons donate their time, often a weekend event. almost every state has this going on in one form or another.

call the local dental society (by searching "dental society" along with your nearest big town) and ask. if you can't find it from the net, call the kentucky dental association at (502) 489-9121. ask what your local dental society is and get their number. call and explain that you need surgical extractions and have a possible infection brewing.

if possible, it is best to have extractions done by dentists, as doctors don't do extractions too often. however, IF you detect swelling of the face (that is, beyond just the gum / bone area, and starting to involve the cheek or face) you will have to go to a hospital emergency room. they will likely give you penicillin which will ONLY buy you some time but will NOT fix the problem. it becomes harder to treat if you are on and off courses of penicillin, as the infection never clears (even though the symptoms may improve temporarily) and the bugs get stronger and may become penicillin-resistant. those teeth/roots need to come out.

dentists will do extractions in the way most likely to preserve the ridges so that you can later get dentures. if you are a woman, there is a program for helping women with extreme dental care situations so that they can look good for finding work. dentures might hopefully be able to be included since you will be looking for work. smiles for success Phone: 800.920.2293. this is just the office and they will have no dentists there, but hopefully there is a dentist participating near you they can refer you to. if you are a man, you might call anyway.

http://www.mc.uky.edu/dentistry/service/outreach.html

the above link will take you to such events and mobile clinics all over kentucky, outside of the uk dental school in lexington. that is probably your *best bet*. it will link you to outreach events coordinated by the dental school.

good luck and get right on it! hope this helps!!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
(male)

drparty HB User

I'm actually a dental student (3rd year) at UK. I completely agree with what Elisabetho said above.

Give us a call or if your closer to Louisville, call the UofL program. We see patients every day that are dealing with low finances and try very hard to accommodate their needs.

If you have significantly broken down teeth you really should be seen professionally, an abscess can spread and become life threatening.

Finally, are you eligible for medicaid? Extractions would be free through their program.

Closed Thread