It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
(male)

jamesinUK HB User
dead skin or white gungy stuff in mouth

Hi, not sure if this is the right part for this issue, its the closest anyway!

im sure i might be asked these questions so before anyone does, i use a whitening toothpaste, whitening mouthwash (listerine whitening), i also use a lip balm a lot to as i get very dry lips. not sure but some of that might be relevent.

i wake up a lot of the time with quiet a bit of what i think is dry skin from my mouth which has turned gungy, i will find this inside my mouth at the very bottom at the front of the teeth, also in my inside cheeks, it looks really horrible and i usually have to pick it out as its pretty sticky.

even after i get it out and do my teeth / mouthwash i can still feel a build up during the day and i often feel it coming away from the insides of my cheeks with my tongue and go the bathroom to look in the mirror to see where it is and get it out.

its a right pain and was hoping someone here may know what it is or the cause of it?

thanks

james

Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
(female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User
Re: dead skin or white gungy stuff in mouth

I know what you are talking about because there are times that I get the same stuff. I don't know what type of mouth wash you use. But when I was using Listerine I would have that every morning. Now I use Crest Pro Health and I don't have it as often Maybe once a week or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
(male)

jamesinUK HB User

i may try and change my mouthwash see if that sorts it, i hope so because i dont want to change my toothpaste lol

Old 06-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
(male)

dknight211 HB Userdknight211 HB User

I recommend checking if your mouthwash or toothpaste contains chlorhexidine. Chlorhexidine is quite common in Crest Pro Health products and it functions as an antiseptic.

A side effect of chlorhexidine, however, is that it causes the lining of the mouth to slough off. I've read many reviews by people who have this experience, and I myself have had it too. A thin layer of the lining of the mouth comes off hours after brushing and sometimes dries, clumps in places in the mouth.

The day after I stopped using Crest Pro Health, I had no more problems with the inner lining of my mouth sloughing off. Hours after I use it, it happens again. It's pretty predictable, and with all the reviews online mentioning this side effect, I'm convinced it's the chlorhexidine in Crest Pro Health.

Last edited by dknight211; 06-21-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
(female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight211 View Post
I recommend checking if your mouthwash or toothpaste contains chlorhexidine. Chlorhexidine is quite common in Crest Pro Health products and it functions as an antiseptic.

A side effect of chlorhexidine, however, is that it causes the lining of the mouth to slough off. I've read many reviews by people who have this experience, and I myself have had it too. A thin layer of the lining of the mouth comes off hours after brushing and sometimes dries, clumps in places in the mouth.

The day after I stopped using Crest Pro Health, I had no more problems with the inner lining of my mouth sloughing off. Hours after I use it, it happens again. It's pretty predictable, and with all the reviews online mentioning this side effect, I'm convinced it's the chlorhexidine in Crest Pro Health.
I haven't had that much of an issue with it unless I use the sensitivity crest pro health. But I had it all the time with Listerine.

Closed Thread