It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
(male)

helpmypain HB User
Unhappy Tooth discomfort after deep cavity filling

Hi friends,

On Tuesday 8am 6/20/2011 I had a deep cavity drilled and filled. Before the filling the tooth was not sensitive nor did it hurt.

When my dentist was cleaning the cavity (drilling) she said she did not see the nerve and that is a really good sign of dodging a root canal. Don't get me wrong id rather have the rootcanal done and not worry about tooth pain ever again.

But today as im writing this June 25th 2011 on Saturday, I was just awoken by tooth pain. I got a white colorerd filling and tooth is not really sensitive to hot but a little sensitive to cold but it goes away. I do not chew on the side i had the filling.

Do I need to get my bite adjusted?

The tooth ache isn't as bad as one that i knew I for sure needed a root canal,the pain comes and goes. When the novacaine wore off after the treatment on tuesday the tooth did not hurt whatsoever and had small discomfort until now..

Anyone?

Last edited by helpmypain; 06-25-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
(male)

helpmypain HB User
Re: Tooth discomfort after deep cavity filling

Anyone please, I am desperate for a intelligent response.

Kind Regards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
(female)

dizzygal954 HB Userdizzygal954 HB User

you could take advil but its pretty much the same as your already taking.

that tooth probably needs a root canal, sensitivity to cols means the nerve is going bad, and needs to come out (via rootcanal)

i dont think it has anything to do with your bite, but again im not a dentist, just the assistant

i would go back to dentist, get an xray and see if the nerve is inflammed or damaged and go from there

The Following User Says Thank You to dizzygal954 For This Useful Post:
helpmypain (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I respectfully disagree with you, Dizzygal.
Helpmypain, ibuprophen IS Advil, so you're already taking what you should take.
Your filling can certainly need to be adjusted. Are you having pain or problems closing down on that side? Does it hurt when you chew?
Your dentist telling you that the decay wasn't near the nerve is a very good sign.
Sensitivity to hot is usually a bad sign and indicative of a tooth that may need a root canal.
Go back to your dentist and explain your pain. Chances are that they will adjust your bite and you'll be just fine.

Sue

Last edited by slenderella; 06-25-2011 at 05:05 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
helpmypain (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
(male)

helpmypain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderella View Post
I respectfully disagree with you, Dizzygal.
Helpmypain, ibuprophen IS Advil, so you're already taking what you should take.
Your filling can certainly need to be adjusted. Are you having pain or problems closing down on that side? Does it hurt when you chew?
Your dentist telling you that the decay wasn't near the nerve is a very good sign.
Sensitivity to hot is usually a bad sign and indicative of a tooth that may need a root canal.
Go back to your dentist and explain your pain. Chances are that they will adjust your bite and you'll be just fine.

Sue
Let me re-phrase my issue.

1.There is NO sensitivity to hot. There is a small sensitivity to cold.
2.There is no pain when I tap down on the tooth.
3.There is no pain when I bite down directly but I do feel that the filling is a bit high.

I talked to a dentist on the phone and he said, the nerve is inflamed and when I take the ibuprofen does the pain cease and I told him yes and he said that is a very good sign.

Yes she said she did not see the nerve when she filled the tooth, which indicated the cavity may have not broken through the dentin to the nerve.

The Dentist I spoke too was my dentist friend, because she is out of town. He prescribed me Vicodin and ibuprofen so I guess im in-luck to sleep tonight.

But based on the facts I have given above, do you think the nerve is just inflamed due to the drilling and trauma it has sustained? If I keep taking the ibuprofen as directed will it keep the inflammation down and try to heal?

I am going into the dentist on Tuesday by the way, Thank you for the responses.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-28-2011 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comments.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I've had quite a few root canals myself (a lower molar just a few months ago) and
it did hurt me for a little while afterwards. Considering all of the instrumentation that is done during a root canal, it makes sense that the tooth wouldn't be happy afterwards.

Sue

Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
(male)

helpmypain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderella View Post
I've had quite a few root canals myself (a lower molar just a few months ago) and
it did hurt me for a little while afterwards. Considering all of the instrumentation that is done during a root canal, it makes sense that the tooth wouldn't be happy afterwards.

Sue
Thank you, for your input. I did not have a root canal, but it's not comparable because your tooth might have been tender, after a root canal the nerve is not functional.

I am going through pain because of the nerve becoming inflamed from the drilling and trauma. Hopefully I just need my bite adjusted, because the dentist said a off-bite could cause the upper teeth to push down on my filled molar and cause inflammation due to the tooth will be pushing down on the bone and ligaments.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ugh, so sorry, of course. I forgot that this was not a root canal tooth.
Any deep filling can feel uncomfortable some days later. I hope that you CAN get it adjusted and it's the perfect fix for you.
One more variable would be that the tooth is fractured, but when I had fractured teeth the pain was ceaseless, and it sounds as if your pain is more intermittent.

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
helpmypain (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
(male)

helpmypain HB User

It's okay.
Yeah the pain is gone when I take a anti-inflammatory so the dentist said that is a great sign, It might be my bite causing irritation. I don't think the tooth is fractured because I know the pain would be far greater.

There is no cold/hot sensitivity, just inflaming pain when I don't take the ibuprofen so it just may be my bite hopefully.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
(female)

dizzygal954 HB Userdizzygal954 HB User

During drilling and filling, the tooth is subjected to multiple mechanical and chemical traumata which may first inflame and eventually spell the death of the pulp and thus the tooth. Damage to the pulp of the tooth and its eventual death can occur by a number of pathways.High-speed drilling, drilling to fast, and Removing the enamel and making the micro-cracks in the dentine quite often, but not always, damages the inner nerve

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-28-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comments.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
(male)

helpmypain HB User

Well everyone I went into the dentist and had my bite adjusted. After the dentist fixed it, I felt a big relief when I clinched my teeth together. I felt as if there was no pressure from my top molars pushing down on my bottom filling.

Still have to wait a couple days to see if the inflammation goes down, ibuprofen works wonders, takes the pain right away, within 20 minutes!

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-28-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comments

Old 07-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
(female)

barkingmoon21 HB User

I had a fillings on my teeth before and the dentists says if it hurts, it means that teeth needs to be removed.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmypain View Post
Anyone please, I am desperate for a intelligent response.

Kind Regards.
Since this filling was so recent, I'd give it a couple more days or a week, and see if it settles down and stops hurting.
If not, you should go back to the dentist.
Best of luck.

Closed Thread