It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

legirl HB User
Bone Graft (using own bone) for implant - Anyone had this done before?

I had a bottom molar extracted in April 2011. I am getting an implant but need a bone graft in order for the implant to be successful.

The oral surgeon would like to use my own bone taken from the back of my jaw. I will be under general anesthesia for the procedure that will take about 45 minutes (he also mentioned that while I'm asleep, he can remove two upper wisdom teeth as well). I will make an appointment for it sometime in mid to late August.

Has anyone had this done before? Is it painful? Was there a lot of swelling? Was it successful? Should I have him extract the wisdom teeth at the same time or would this be too much in one day (I would be saving a few hundred dollars by doing it now as opposed to later althoug it's not causing me any pain)?

Any feedback, responses, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
(male)

Big Grin HB User
Re: Bone Graft (using own bone) for implant - Anyone had this done before?

Have not had bond graft. However, for one implant using your own bone is a common procedure. It is really not a big deal.

The swelling is an individual thing. Hard to know in advance.

If your dentist says he can also extract wisdom teeth, go for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
(female)

legirl HB User

Thanks Big Grin.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

legirl HB User

Any other replies. I'm really anxious about having this done so any comments would be great.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User

well, if the surgeon is already going to be doing wisdom extr, the bone is right there and extremely easy to harvest. the thing is, it's your own bone therefore there is the least possible challenge to your immune system from either human bone graft or other materials introduced to your body. if you had a weak immune system for any reason (diabetes, hiv, organ transplants for ex), then your own bone would be the gold standard for treatment since you are not going to have any immune reaction to your own bone. if you are healthy, well, look at it as icing on the cake. you'll have the best healing time possible with almost no chance of complications from a grafting tissue/healing standpoint.

Closed Thread