It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
(female)

discordany HB User
Gum pain 2 months after extraction?

I don't even know if the gum pain and the extraction are related, to be honest, but I am worried.

To start with, I had all of my wisdom teeth removed 2 months ago. It went fairly well - the pain was gone within about a week, the holes have closed up faster than people led me to believe they would, and I've nearly forgotten about it.

However, in the past day or two, the area around my upper right molars has been feeling... strange. Not in pain, but just strange. Tonight, after brushing my teeth, my gums started hurting. After about fifteen minutes, I began to wonder if I had not brushed well enough, so I brushed again, and flossed. While flossing, I noticed that a spot between my back two remaining teeth was very sore (less of the throbbing, mild pain, and more of a sharp pain). It also started bleeding. I've taken an advil for it, and there's still a mild pain in that area.

Now, I hate to admit it, but I don't have the best dental hygiene. Not terrible by any means - I've never had a cavity or anything. However, slightly swollen gums and bleeding when I brush is something I've dealt with in the past. I don't know if this is just the same thing, and will go away over time, or if I should be worrying about either a cavity or complications related to my extraction. (Although, if it was complications, surely I would have noticed it long before now...)

Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Gum pain 2 months after extraction?

Hi,
It does sound like you have gingivitis with the start of periodontal disease. The plaque from your teeth may have gotten below the gum line where you can no longer reach with brushing or flossing.

A trip to the dentist for a cleaning would probably do the trick if it is not too bad. Please don't put this off. If the plaque has reached a stage where you can no longer do a good job of cleaning your teeth, it will eventually affect the bone holding your teeth in. This process sadly has a domino affect where one tooth goes and they can all slowly follow.

You can stop this process, which can be both expensive and painful, now if you go and have a dental evaluation. Brushing twice a day for two full minutes and flossing at least once a day would benefit, too.

Good luck. Please make that appt ASAP.
My best to you,
Gellia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread