It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

boxofmochi HB User
Broken Crown on tooth with root canal done

I had a root canal done on the top left, furthest back tooth maybe about 3 years ago (can't remember exactly). It originally had a crown on top,
and when they did the root canal job they drilled through the crown (and weakened it, I think). After maybe about a year or so after the root canal,
my crown chipped -- it was enough to have a sharp edge that only nipped the side of my mouth a little bit. But I didn't want to pay another $XXXX for a
new crown replacement (my dentist has always tried to rip me off, to the point where I ALWAYS check with my insurance before paying them anything, and
EACH TIME my insurance tells me they're overcharging me). So since I had no cavities or infections/etc, I decided to bite the bullet so to speak and live
with the chipped crown for a while first.

Several months ago it chipped again (another good chunk of the crown).

And just this weekend I was eating something sticky and tacky-like, and there was a "crunching". It was later that I realized my crown had chipped again.

The dentist told me it would cost about $600-800 for a new crown. Do I need to get it?

There is no pain. I floss everyday, and still see the hygenist regularly (they actually gave me a perio maintenance cleaning about a week ago too...which
also might've weakened the crown or something) and she didn't mention anything other than "are you aware you have a broken tooth back here?"
As far as I understand my teeth are clean and I have no cavities, although I have not had any X-rays done recently.

What would be the best advice to follow, instead of spending on crown after root canal after crown after root canal...?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
(female)

mimossa HB User
Re: Broken Crown on tooth with root canal done

I've had a back molar crown break twice now and even though it annoys me to no end to go through the fix-up again, I go to have it checked because whether it's ok or not depends on how it broke. If the crown is sealed properly it probably will be fine but you wouldn't be able to tell that by yourself. They are supposed to last at least 5 years so I would insist on the dentist taking responsibility for his work. I also would not settle for a metal crown, in this day and age they need to do better than that.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

Tropic HB User

You seem to be concerned about your dentist, not trusting him. Can you ask around for a recommendation to a new dentist? It may be to your advantage to look around, because the older you get, the more dental work you will need to have done. Also, if you are concerned about the money, you should ask the office if they can take payments from you, so you don't have to fork over everything at one time. Maybe pay $300 one visit and $300 in a month, something like that.
I would definitely have the tooth fixed, because decay is a concern is left untreated.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If you can get a crown for $600 you need to take it! That's a goo price. But I would also see about finding a new dentist since you don't seem to trust this one.

Closed Thread