It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
(male)

zloppy HB User
Nitrous (laughing gas) at the dentist

Well, I have had a few cavities before, (I am 19 right now) and they have always used the laughing gas stuff with the nose piece thing. It has all been fine, but now that I start thinking back on the last times I have had the Nitrous gas stuff, I have always fallen asleep for a few minutes or so, then woken up with no seeming effect of the gas anymore. (maybe they turn it off or lower the amount or something)

I have been looking up online the effects of the gas, and if it should make me fall asleep like it does. I haven't found a real clear answer though. The reason I am asking though, is because I know I can pass out easy, and I am kind of concerned when they use the Nitrous gas, that that's what's been happening.

When they use it, I start getting lightheaded (but it's supposed to do that I think anyways) and the feeling is exactly the same as passing out. Last time I resisted the urge of "passing out" and my foot kept shaking back and forth uncontrollably, I guess to help keep me awake. But after that is when I started making the connection that I could be passing out, either from my anxiety and me feeling different, or just from the gas affecting my air. I don't know.

But I am just wondering if that is normal, or really a problem. And has anyone else experienced that, or have any input. I am getting a filling in 2 days, on Wednesday in the morning, and would like to know how it is with other people too, and their thoughts.

Thanks,
Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Nitrous (laughing gas) at the dentist

I've never heard of nitrous oxide being used for fillings, is there a reason you can't use freezing?

I did have nitrous oxide AND freezing when I had a wisdom tooth pulled in 1976...but never since.

q

Old 07-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
(male)

JLx90 HB User

My dentist usually uses injections and not Nitrous so if your not comfortable with using it just ask for a local injection to numb the area. I do know it is very normal for some people to fall asleep and even not remember a few things after taking Nitrous.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
(male)

zloppy HB User

Well, I think he uses the Nitrous, and injections. I am not sure, the last time I had 2 fillings and he had to rebuild part of my tooth, and he used it. I am not sure if thats why he used it then, but I am pretty sure he did injections too.

I have just been going to the pediatric dentist until a few years ago when I was like 17 or so (I have younger brothers who still went there, so I still did), and they always used the Nitrous, probably just to relax all the kids, so they always used it. then I moved to my parents dentist, and I have only been there once for what I mentioned in the paragraph above, and he used it too. So I am not sure if he will want to use it for just 1 filling. It doesn't say anything about Nitrous on the paper with the info.

I am about to leave in an hour to go over there, hopefully it won't take long. My dentist is pretty fast. And if they ask about using Nitrous I will just tell them I don't want it.

Closed Thread