It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

dadavis65 HB User
Root scaling & planing

I went to a new dentist for a cleaning. I had not been to the dentist for 18 mos. The hygenist did not do a cleaning, she did an exam & told me I had early signs of peridonal disease & needed root scaling & planing. The total cost was $1069 & I was so afraid of losing my teeth, that I went ahead & had it done. The procedure took about an hour an 15 min. They did numb me up. After all of this the dentist said I needed almost 9 grand in dental work that could be finanaced. I told them we could do some of the work this year & some the next. The root planing doesn't go toward my max, of 2500. But I do have some decay, so she wouldnt go for this, so she said. She also wanted me to have invisalign. I am 52 yrs old & I think this dentist is just out to make money. I made the appointments to have this dental work done & in the meantime, the dentist bills the finance company for work that hasn't even been done. After reading the post on here I just wonder if they really did it. as this ever happened to anyone else?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Root scaling & planing

Hi,
Did your dentist show you your xrays? It sounds as though you have periodontal disease that is affecting the bone supporting your teeth and making them shift.

Have your dentist show you how much or how little bone is supporting each tooth. That is where the problem may come in. The root planing and scaling may have revealed a loss of a lot of bone. How much loss will be what shows you what future dental treatment you might need.
If you don't understand why you need $9K worth of work, let her show you what needs to be done first and why it needs to be done.

That's the only way to find out why she would want to do more dental work.

I went to the dentist for a front tooth ache after walking through a plate glass door.
I found out I didn't have enough bone supporting my front four teeth. This was a great surprise to me but I could CLEARLY see the bone was nearly gone on more than one tooth and that was why they were loose and wouldn't tighten back up.

Four implants, a partial and then the crowns later, I have now stopped the periodontal disease that was there and silently eating away at the supporting bone of my teeth. They don't call it a silent disease for nothing, I guess.

My treatment eventually cost me close to $17K.

Do ask your dentist to explain each and every thing he is proposing you have done and ask him why. Be sure to look at the xrays yourself. You can see the bone supporting the teeth.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Best to you,
Gellia

The following user gives a hug of support to Gellia:
dadavis65 (07-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

dadavis65 HB User

No Geilla, The 9 grand has nothing to do with the gum disease. I do not have any bone loss, or any shifting of teeth. That grand total was for her inflated prices for all the dental work she says I need done. I am going to another dentist to get a second opinion. I wish I would have done that before I had let them do this. I do have some cavities that I do need filled, & I would have let her do it, but she wants to do everything at once & have me finance it. I have excellent dental insurance, but I had no idea that this dentist was so hard up for money. They make you pay for everything before it's done. They told me it was just the time, now I have found out, they have charged already the credit card for services not rendered. Which they can not do. It is in dispute. My question to you now is my home care now. I am brushing 3x aday. Waterpiking 1x a day. Flossing a least 2x a day. I think I am making it worse. my gums were not sore & did not bleed when I went to see this dentist, but now when I floss they are sore. I am also using Listerine like crazy. The hygenist said I did not need gum surgery. I did ask could you see it on the xrays & she said you could not. They had to send all of this in to my ins. So I am can't wait to see what they say. I just didn't want to wait 30 days or longer, if it needed to be done, I did it. That was before I knew she was charging almost 1/3 more than other dentists. She charged $178 for xrays & the ins only paid $125. My last dental visit was $177 & that was for everything. Thanks for your answer.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi,
It does sound as though another opinion is warranted.

You're right that you're probably making your gums sore by being a little over zealous with your oral hygiene.
Instead of flossing 2x a day, try using dental pik one of those times("The Doctor's makes a great one). Be gentle with them though. Then use regular floss the second time. Actually once is enough but I floss 2x a day too.
Plaque becomes calculus in about 12 hours so brushing twice a day is really enough. You need to brush for a full two minutes (I play a song). Hold the toothbrush like you would a pencil which will give you just about the right pressure. Too hard and you can actually scrap enamel off and really shred your gums. When you floss, try to reach below the gum line and sort of scoop up along the tooth. Your only trying to scrap the plaque from the tooth sides. Also, make sure the mouthwash you are using does not contain alcohol (a lot of the Listerine products do). It is VERY drying to the gums and can make them friable.

Other than that, it sounds as though you are doing everything right! I'd get that second opinion, though.

GOOD LUCK! Do let us know how you make out.
My very best to you,
Gellia

The following user gives a hug of support to Gellia:
dadavis65 (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
(female)

dadavis65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellia View Post
Hi,
It does sound as though another opinion is warranted.

You're right that you're probably making your gums sore by being a little over zealous with your oral hygiene.
Instead of flossing 2x a day, try using dental pik one of those times("The Doctor's makes a great one). Be gentle with them though. Then use regular floss the second time. Actually once is enough but I floss 2x a day too.
Plaque becomes calculus in about 12 hours so brushing twice a day is really enough. You need to brush for a full two minutes (I play a song). Hold the toothbrush like you would a pencil which will give you just about the right pressure. Too hard and you can actually scrap enamel off and really shred your gums. When you floss, try to reach below the gum line and sort of scoop up along the tooth. Your only trying to scrap the plaque from the tooth sides. Also, make sure the mouthwash you are using does not contain alcohol (a lot of the Listerine products do). It is VERY drying to the gums and can make them friable.

Other than that, it sounds as though you are doing everything right! I'd get that second opinion, though.

GOOD LUCK! Do let us know how you make out.
My very best to you,
Gellia

Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
(female)

dadavis65 HB User

Hi Again, And thanks. I am backing off. I always brush for 2mins, I have 4 grandchildren, they all have timers on their tooth brushes. How long sho;d it have taken for the deep cleaning of 15 teeth? From what I read on your site, many people had to do it in a couple visits, mine was done in about an hour an 15 mins. i just think she is running a scam.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

My root planning and scaling was done in four visits. One quad at a time and took about 45 minutes each time. It was pricey. $250 a quadrant but it did help.

I've heard about the timer toothbrushes! I have to get one for my granddaughter! Great idea!

Get another opinion. I'm amazed at what one dentist thinks is imperative and another thinks is no big deal.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Gellia

The Following User Says Thank You to Gellia For This Useful Post:
dadavis65 (07-27-2011)
Closed Thread