It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
(female)

Tamster52 HB User
Question Is this too much Penicillin?

I had an ear infection last week and was given 500mg. Penicillin (Amoxicillin) 3 times a day for 5 days. I was still feeling bad and I had this terrible pain in my upper and lower gums on the same side as the ear infection. I went to the Dentist only to discover that I have an abscessed molar, with a bad infection. So now 5 days later I'm on 500 mg. Penicillin every 6 hours (4 x's a day) for 15 days. Doesn't that sound like a lot, especially considering I just got off a round of Penicillin? And I have heard that if you have an infection and you take anti-biotics and stop, than start again, they can be less effective, is that true. Has anyone here ever taken that much antibiotics for that long? What are the possible cons? I'm taking Azo with Probiotics (Azo is a cranberry extract for UTI health) and many other Probiotics to help stave off a yeast infection. Anything else I should know or do?
Thanks in advance this is my first post. I'll have some great advice in the future, I promise : )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
(male)

dknight211 HB Userdknight211 HB User
Re: Is this too much Penicillin?

When I had a tooth infection in my upper teeth that also caused a sinus/ear infection, the dentist put me on 500mg Amoxicillin three times a day for a week.

The reason for finishing all the antibiotics is that you want to be sure to kill all the bacteria in your body and not leave any resistant types that would grow and be harder to kill later on with the same antibiotic.

The Following User Says Thank You to dknight211 For This Useful Post:
Tamster52 (07-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
(female)

Tamster52 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight211 View Post
When I had a tooth infection in my upper teeth that also caused a sinus/ear infection, the dentist put me on 500mg Amoxicillin three times a day for a week.

The reason for finishing all the antibiotics is that you want to be sure to kill all the bacteria in your body and not leave any resistant types that would grow and be harder to kill later on with the same antibiotic.
Oh, good to know that I'm not the only one that ended up with a ear infection and a tooth infection.

My problem is I had already done the 500 mg. Amolxicillin 3 times a day for 5 days. But now, less than a week later I'm on 500 mg. Penicillin VK 4 times a day, and now for 15 days. By the time I'm done I will be on it for 3 weeks, with a small break. It just seems to me to be an awful lot, and for a very long time, right??

Old 07-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
(female)

Elizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB UserElizabetho HB User

The dds felt an extra boost would be beneficial. Instead of changing to clindamycin (which could be the next step up in most cases if there was evidence of the antibiotic losing the battle) the dds felt this to be the most prudent --boosting the amount of the same antibiotic and maybe not needing to up the ante in the antibiotic dept by adding a stronger different drug. Limiting sugar intake is another huge factor in limiting yeast overgrowth .... Yeast invades the entire GI tract, and it helps to minimize sugar and hi-carb intake, which yeast the thrives on This can take weeks to months to get under control and really is a lifelong project. Hopefully the antibiotic course will wipe out both infectons. You are wise to be concerned abt having "plan" in place. Good luck and it sounds like you are in good hands!

Closed Thread