It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
(female)

CaringWmn HB UserCaringWmn HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

My type of anesthesia is I.V. Conscious Sedation. It is a state of profound relxation, not loss of consciousness. I will be aware of some aspects of the surgery. She explained it to me, that I will be able to follow her instructions to move my head, etc.

When I had my wisdom teeth removed in 1975 or 1976, this is how I recalled my sedation to have been.

I will be permitted to bring my favorite music to listen to.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
(female)

I had replied to lawyergirl, but I don't see it. I'm sorry if it does post twice.

The sedation I will get is called "I.V. Conscious Sedation." It will induce a state of profound relaxation, not loss of consciousness. Some patients will have awareness of some aspects of the procedure. I am supposed to be able to follow instructions to move my head, etc.

I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed in 1975. I believe this is the type of sedation I had then. I barely recall the beginning of the surgery, but I remember the last part of it.

I'll post afterwards to update about the procedure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
(female)

legirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaringWmn View Post
My type of anesthesia is I.V. Conscious Sedation. It is a state of profound relxation, not loss of consciousness. I will be aware of some aspects of the surgery. She explained it to me, that I will be able to follow her instructions to move my head, etc.

When I had my wisdom teeth removed in 1975 or 1976, this is how I recalled my sedation to have been.

I will be permitted to bring my favorite music to listen to.
Will they be taking bone from the back of your jaw. That's what they're doing with mine. A little bone from my jaw mixed with donor bone.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
(female)

No, the bone is not coming from me. It is going to be either human or I think she said bovine.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
(female)

LauraML HB User

Just wanted to give an update on my recovery. Hopefully this will help or at lest give some encouragement for those who are going in for a bone graft in the future. Its 9 days since my surgery and I am feeling pretty good. I can now leave the house and eat regular food. I cant bite down all the way just yet but not because of pain but because of the swelling of the gum and the temporary not fitting properly The dentist adjusted my temp but said the fit will change every couple of days because the swelling will continue to recede. But the pain is gone for the most part. By the end of the day I feel a little worn out and usually take one pain pill to take the edge off but other than that no pain medicine is needed during the day. My upper lip is still a little swollen and I cant quite smile completely. But most importantly there is no more pain. As mentioned before there was minimal pain after the first two-three days but now the pain is almost non-existent and I can function normally. I even interviewed for a job on Tuesday and got it!! So for those who are going in for surgery......the first couple of days will be miserable but if you had a great oral surgeon and give yourself lots of time to rest there is recovery in your near future!! Good luck to everyone!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #21
(female)

legirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraML View Post
Just wanted to give an update on my recovery. Hopefully this will help or at lest give some encouragement for those who are going in for a bone graft in the future. Its 9 days since my surgery and I am feeling pretty good. I can now leave the house and eat regular food. I cant bite down all the way just yet but not because of pain but because of the swelling of the gum and the temporary not fitting properly The dentist adjusted my temp but said the fit will change every couple of days because the swelling will continue to recede. But the pain is gone for the most part. By the end of the day I feel a little worn out and usually take one pain pill to take the edge off but other than that no pain medicine is needed during the day. My upper lip is still a little swollen and I cant quite smile completely. But most importantly there is no more pain. As mentioned before there was minimal pain after the first two-three days but now the pain is almost non-existent and I can function normally. I even interviewed for a job on Tuesday and got it!! So for those who are going in for surgery......the first couple of days will be miserable but if you had a great oral surgeon and give yourself lots of time to rest there is recovery in your near future!! Good luck to everyone!
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you are feeling a lot better!!! I will schedule my surgery mid to late October. Did they take bone from the back of your jaw also? When you say the first couple of days were miserable, is it because of the pain or the temporary you had to wear? Did the pain meds work? Also, how is the swelling?

Congrats on the new job!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #22
(female)

LauraML HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyergirl View Post
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you are feeling a lot better!!! I will schedule my surgery mid to late October. Did they take bone from the back of your jaw also? When you say the first couple of days were miserable, is it because of the pain or the temporary you had to wear? Did the pain meds work? Also, how is the swelling?

Congrats on the new job!!!!!!

Yes they took the bone from my back lower jaw. That area was the highest contributor to my pain for the first couple of days. As far as the bone graph area, it was painful once the numbness went away. The first couple of days were miserable both because of the pressure the temporary caused and the pain in both the jaw and graph area. The pain meds did help, but I was completely out of it and mostly slept (I was advised to sleep up right with three pillows to help with the swelling - very uncomfortable!) The swelling definitely attributed to the pain for the first couple of days. My cheeks and upper lip were so swollen that I honestly thought if it swelled anymore something would rip! (but of course that would never happen!) After a few days the swelling went down tremendously but my upper lip was still swollen. Now I am merely contending with minimal swelling of the gum which makes smiling difficult and the thick stitches poking my lip and cheeks!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
(female)

legirl HB User

Quote:
Yes they took the bone from my back lower jaw. That area was the highest contributor to my pain for the first couple of days. As far as the bone graph area, it was painful once the numbness went away. The first couple of days were miserable both because of the pressure the temporary caused and the pain in both the jaw and graph area. The pain meds did help, but I was completely out of it and mostly slept (I was advised to sleep up right with three pillows to help with the swelling - very uncomfortable!) The swelling definitely attributed to the pain for the first couple of days. My cheeks and upper lip were so swollen that I honestly thought if it swelled anymore something would rip! (but of course that would never happen!) After a few days the swelling went down tremendously but my upper lip was still swollen. Now I am merely contending with minimal swelling of the gum which makes smiling difficult and the thick stitches poking my lip and cheeks!
OK. . . . now I'm scared!!! I don't do well with pain at all. How much pain was it for the first couple of days on a scale of 1 to 10?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #24
(female)

LauraML HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyergirl View Post
OK. . . . now I'm scared!!! I don't do well with pain at all. How much pain was it for the first couple of days on a scale of 1 to 10?
Im not going to lie, the day after the surgery was not good. The pain was probably a 9-10. The following day was probably about a 8. I took two pain meds every 4 hours for the first two days and had wished I could take meds every two hours. (side note: my oral surgeon offered to give me a stronger pain med that had a larger narcotic to tylenol ratio - you may want to request this to begin with) The pain meds helped a lot with the pain and probably brought the pain down to about a 7. By day 3 and 4 the pain was completely manageable with one pain med every 5-7 hours. Make sure you have at least 3 days off from work and any other commitments. You need the rest and I believe that all the resting I did contributed to my fast recovery. Also, stay up on the pain meds and dont forget to take them. The worst part of the first couple of days was waking up from a nap that lasted longer than four hours and my pain meds had worn off. Just be prepared to feel bad for the first two days, but know that by day 3 and thereafter the recovery is really fast.

I dont want to scare you because all in all the recovery was quick and relatively painless after the first couple days. I was expecting a week of pain so I was pleasantly surprised that the pain was manageable by day three. I dont remember how much area you are getting graphed but I had the entire area of my four font teeth graphed AND a gum regeneration on the area of my six front teeth. My procedure was quite extensive so take that into consideration.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
(female)

legirl HB User

Quote:
Im not going to lie, the day after the surgery was not good. The pain was probably a 9-10. The following day was probably about a 8. I took two pain meds every 4 hours for the first two days and had wished I could take meds every two hours. (side note: my oral surgeon offered to give me a stronger pain med that had a larger narcotic to tylenol ratio - you may want to request this to begin with) The pain meds helped a lot with the pain and probably brought the pain down to about a 7. By day 3 and 4 the pain was completely manageable with one pain med every 5-7 hours. Make sure you have at least 3 days off from work and any other commitments. You need the rest and I believe that all the resting I did contributed to my fast recovery. Also, stay up on the pain meds and dont forget to take them. The worst part of the first couple of days was waking up from a nap that lasted longer than four hours and my pain meds had worn off. Just be prepared to feel bad for the first two days, but know that by day 3 and thereafter the recovery is really fast.

I dont want to scare you because all in all the recovery was quick and relatively painless after the first couple days. I was expecting a week of pain so I was pleasantly surprised that the pain was manageable by day three. I dont remember how much area you are getting graphed but I had the entire area of my four font teeth graphed AND a gum regeneration on the area of my six front teeth. My procedure was quite extensive so take that into consideration.
Thanks a bunch!!!. I'm not having as much done. I'm having a graph on one molar (lower) and he'll be taking bone from the back of my jaw (upper). He will prescribe vicodin for the pain. I hope there won't be much swelling and pain but I'm sure the vicodin will help.

The following user gives a hug of support to legirl:
CaringWmn (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #26
(female)

Hello, I am 6 days post-op from my bone graft and implant for my lower right molar.

I did wonderfully with the surgery. I had no bleeding, no pain and hardly any swelling. I have been eating soft foods ever since.

I just returned from my checkup with my oral surgeon. She said it looks good, with just minimal swelling at the site, which is normal. The stitches look good, and she wantst to take them out next Wednesday.

That was all that happened during the checkup, so I am totally pleased!

I am following instructions to rinse with a prescription rinse and also salt water. I have not chewed any food on the surgical side. I tried eating some pureed roast with chewing on my left side. I decided to stay with soup and hot cereal. Also mashed and baked potatoes, which are sufficient for me.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #27
(female)

I had my stitches removed yesterday and received a good report on the health of my implant. I had photos taken, and received an appointment for 6 weeks. I forget what she is going to do, another procedure.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #28
(female)

legirl HB User

Quote:

I went ahead and made my appointment for October 26th for my bone graft. I will be put to sleep and he will take a piece of bone from my jaw and graft it to a molar that had been extracted. I'm really nervous abou this procedure. Scared to death actually but good thing I'll be put to sleep. He'll give me a prescription for vicodin. Will that take care of the pain?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
(female)

Good luck, lawyergirl. Don't worry about the procedure. Some pain or discomfort might occur, but if the surgeon's directions are followed, recovery time should be minimal. Pain meds are a good thing to have.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #30
(female)

legirl HB User

Thanks for your support!!!

Closed Thread