It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 9
LauraML HB User
Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

I have a 6 unit bridge on my four front teeth which is failing and have decided to get dental implants to replace. I am scheduled to get an osseous bone graft and Subepithelial Connective Tissue Graft in two weeks by my oral surgeon. Then in about four months (December) I will get two dental implants. What type of pain am I in for after the grafts and also after the dental implants. Although the implants arent scheduled until the end of december, I am taking the bar exam in February and have to start studying at the beginning of January. Is this feasible?!? I am worried about the pain management when I am trying to study! Thanks for the feedback!

 
Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brick, NJ USA
Posts: 564
Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Hi,
I can't help as far as the bone grafting is concerned, but I had four implants done to replace my top four front teeth.

The healing process was just long. Placing the implants didn't hurt at all and I was out and about the next day. A bit swollen around day three, but eating normal food by day six.
Are you getting an implant supported bridge?

Good luck and best to you,
Gellia

Don't worry about the implant part and GOOD LUCK on the bar!

Last edited by Gellia; 08-12-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: addition

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 9
LauraML HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Thanks for the reply! Yes I'm getting two crowns and two implant supported bridges.

 
Old 08-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brick, NJ USA
Posts: 564
Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Hi again,
I think the hardest part is the wait while the implants integrate. Are you using a partial while they heal? I used a removable metal partial because I didn't want to have to take it out to eat. Vanity reared it's ugly head, it's true, but I couldn't see me with no front teeth while out for dinner with friends or colleagues.

I have to say, I love my implants and it was certainly worth it.

Gellia

 
Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 33
legirl HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraML View Post
I have a 6 unit bridge on my four front teeth which is failing and have decided to get dental implants to replace. I am scheduled to get an osseous bone graft and Subepithelial Connective Tissue Graft in two weeks by my oral surgeon. Then in about four months (December) I will get two dental implants. What type of pain am I in for after the grafts and also after the dental implants. Although the implants arent scheduled until the end of december, I am taking the bar exam in February and have to start studying at the beginning of January. Is this feasible?!? I am worried about the pain management when I am trying to study! Thanks for the feedback!
This is fantastic!!! I am also getting the osseous bone graft in prepation for an implant. My oral surgeon is going to put me to sleep for the surgery and he estimates it will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes from the time I walk through the dorr, given the IV, surgery and recovery period.

He said there will be a lot of swelling but as far as the pain, it will be managed by the vicotin he'll prescribe. I'm nervous about the pain as well since I'm scheduled to move in the next 30 days. To avoid taking too much time off of work, I'd like to get this done around the time I'm scheduled to move. I'd be taking a week or two off so if I can get an idea of the recovery period, that would be great.

I had a co-worker get an implant last year and she came to work the next day. The receptionist at the oral surgeon said she had her implant placed, went home, made dinner, and attended her son's soccer game and had no pain. I thinkyou'll be fine with the recovery for the implant. The bigger issue is the bone graft.

Anyone have any other comments for us (good or bad)? If you can let me know how your surgery went once your feeling better that would be great.

BTW - I'm a lawyer so I know how stressful studying for the bar exam can ge. GOOD LUCK (although I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors!!!!)

 
Old 08-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 9
LauraML HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

I will definitely let you know how it goes! Thanks for the reply

 
Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6
Shugiin HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

After its done , any discomfort should diminish after a few days. If pain persists, go back and find out why, don't let it linger, infection and rejection are the biggest problems for bone grafts.

Last edited by Shugiin; 08-16-2011 at 01:59 PM.

 
Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 33
legirl HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraML View Post
I have a 6 unit bridge on my four front teeth which is failing and have decided to get dental implants to replace. I am scheduled to get an osseous bone graft and Subepithelial Connective Tissue Graft in two weeks by my oral surgeon. Then in about four months (December) I will get two dental implants. What type of pain am I in for after the grafts and also after the dental implants. Although the implants arent scheduled until the end of december, I am taking the bar exam in February and have to start studying at the beginning of January. Is this feasible?!? I am worried about the pain management when I am trying to study! Thanks for the feedback!
When is your surgery scheduled? I'll keep you in my thoughts!!!

 
Old 08-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6
Shugiin HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Nerve bruising could occur and takes some time to clear up. I had the freezing needle hit a nerve once. It took 6 weeks to return to normal. Be patient, it will get better.

 
Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 9
LauraML HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

I had my bone graft and gum regeneration done on Wednesday! Its been roughly two days since the surgery. The pain isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The pain is a little much right when I wake up and right before I fall asleep. I have however been taking pain meds to manage the pain. (1 hydroco every 4-5 hours) I could probably get away with not taking them but I have them and they take the edge off. The swelling on the other hand is out of control! I can barely open my mouth and my cheeks are very sensitive. (my husband is being so wonderful and taking pictures while I sleep, my new nickname is his little monkey! LOL) Also, swallowing is difficult because the surgeon took bone from my back bottom jaw which makes eating a challenge. Overall, its not as bad as I thought it would be. Once the swelling is gone I think I will be 75% better! I will keep everyone updated as time goes on!!

 
Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 33
legirl HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraML View Post
I had my bone graft and gum regeneration done on Wednesday! Its been roughly two days since the surgery. The pain isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The pain is a little much right when I wake up and right before I fall asleep. I have however been taking pain meds to manage the pain. (1 hydroco every 4-5 hours) I could probably get away with not taking them but I have them and they take the edge off. The swelling on the other hand is out of control! I can barely open my mouth and my cheeks are very sensitive. (my husband is being so wonderful and taking pictures while I sleep, my new nickname is his little monkey! LOL) Also, swallowing is difficult because the surgeon took bone from my back bottom jaw which makes eating a challenge. Overall, its not as bad as I thought it would be. Once the swelling is gone I think I will be 75% better! I will keep everyone updated as time goes on!!
That's awesome. Great to hear that you are doing well. I will schedule my bone graft for October sometime. Did they put you to sleep? Do you have swelling on both sides? How was the pain on Wednesday and Thursday? When you woke up, were you numb?

 
Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 9
LauraML HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyergirl View Post
That's awesome. Great to hear that you are doing well. I will schedule my bone graft for October sometime. Did they put you to sleep? Do you have swelling on both sides? How was the pain on Wednesday and Thursday? When you woke up, were you numb?
Yes they put me to sleep. Which was probably the best thing because I didnt have to feel or remember anything. I was was numb for probably 10-12 hours after the surgery. There is swelling on both sides which I found odd but the doc said it was completely normal. The pain on Wednesday morning was pretty bad. The numbness was gone, I hadnt taken a pain med in 9 hours and I was nauseous from not eating. It was a little rough. But as the day went on I felt better and better. Yesterday the pain was much more manageable. Lots of swelling but not too much pain until I laid down to go to sleep. The pressure from my temporary was unbearable and so I had to sleep without it. After I took it out and took some pain med I slept pretty good. Today it is even better than yesterday, but not by much.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to LauraML For This Useful Post:
CaringWmn (09-01-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 33
legirl HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraML View Post
Yes they put me to sleep. Which was probably the best thing because I didnt have to feel or remember anything. I was was numb for probably 10-12 hours after the surgery. There is swelling on both sides which I found odd but the doc said it was completely normal. The pain on Wednesday morning was pretty bad. The numbness was gone, I hadnt taken a pain med in 9 hours and I was nauseous from not eating. It was a little rough. But as the day went on I felt better and better. Yesterday the pain was much more manageable. Lots of swelling but not too much pain until I laid down to go to sleep. The pressure from my temporary was unbearable and so I had to sleep without it. After I took it out and took some pain med I slept pretty good. Today it is even better than yesterday, but not by much.
Glad to hear that each day is better. Keep us posted on the progress.

 
Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 52
CaringWmn HB UserCaringWmn HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I am getting a bone graft and dental implant surgery tomorrow morning, before the Labor Day weekend. I'll be taking off the day from work tomorrow and will have the long weekend to recuperate.

I feel reassured by this thread by those who have posted comments. I am having only one lower molar done that was extracted last November. The dentist who extracted the molar left two roots that must be removed, thus the bone graft being needed.

 
Old 09-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 33
legirl HB User
Re: Dental Bone Graft in two weeks what should I expect (recovery, pain ect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaringWmn View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum.

I am getting a bone graft and dental implant surgery tomorrow morning, before the Labor Day weekend. I'll be taking off the day from work tomorrow and will have the long weekend to recuperate.

I feel reassured by this thread by those who have posted comments. I am having only one lower molar done that was extracted last November. The dentist who extracted the molar left two roots that must be removed, thus the bone graft being needed.
I will schedule my bone graft sometime in October. It's for one molar as well. Will you be put to sleep? Keep us posted on the recovery!!!

 
The following user gives a hug of support to legirl:
CaringWmn (09-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to legirl For This Useful Post:
CaringWmn (09-01-2011)
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Has anyone had nerve damage from a dental implant? MadameM Dental Health 6 09-30-2011 08:59 AM
Experiences with bone grafting prior to getting dental implants? suzzie19 Dental Health 0 07-11-2010 11:26 AM
dental implants - one tooth at a time or both at once? John55 Dental Health 22 02-02-2010 10:33 PM
Dental Bone Graft Failure Companion01 Dental Health 0 10-30-2009 03:13 PM
update on bone graft and guided tissue regen sedulous Dental Health 2 05-31-2009 01:56 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Gellia (58), slenderella (25), riptoff (15), janewhite1 (13), Elizabetho (12), Sandybeech (11), Titchou (10), armywife2007 (7), tanyasue (7), WW2ER (7)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1005), Apollo123 (905), Titchou (848), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!