It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

MouthyMom HB User
Full mouth extractions after care

I just had full mouth extractions including impacted wisdom teeth performed on Friday (it's Monday now). The extraction of the top left wisdom tooth caused a small tear in the sinus. I am still quite swollen and sore, but I am told that is normal??? Anyway, the instructions I was sent home with are less than helpful as they seem to be for general periodontal surgery and not full mouth extractions. The instructions feature unhelpful advice such as "eat soft foods on the opposite side of your mouth". I haven't had anything that wasn't a liquid since Friday and family members keep telling me to eat soft foods, but I am afraid to. I don't want to do anything that might cause an infection or other problem.

Background details: I am 32-years-old and have not had any sort of dental or health insurance since I was 18. The gingivitis that was being treated in my teens progressed rapidly into peridontitis without dental care. Despite my best at home efforts, I found myself with teeth that were falling out due to the severe gum disease. Being a low income person, I have had to go to a dental school to have the extractions. My graduate student dentist is awesome and has provided excellent care. Unfortunately, phone communication with the dental school leaves something to be desired. There was no immediate denture placed to keep the cost down. I have to wait 6 weeks for everything to heal before I can be fitted for my dentures and in 3 months, I will have to go in for another surgery to have two implants placed on the bottom. I go in for a recheck on Thursday, but advice between now and then would be appreciated.

Anyway, I rinse 3 times a day with the prescription mouthwash he gave me. I take 800 mg of ibuprofen every 5 hours. I am on a strictly liquid diet that leaves me very lethargic. Is there anything else I could/should be doing? Any help or advice is great. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
(male)

DDJR HB User
Re: Full mouth extractions after care

I wish I knew and I am having 32 extracted in couple weeks when my immediates are complete and am scared to death, I am only 43 but have used Copenhagen from 9yrs old until last month, haven't been a fan of the dentist and had insurance but never used it like a dumb arse, I now have yellow teeth that are all loose from gum disease and the dentist says I have zero options, he said after 6 months when all is healed we can look are starting the implant process. I am still wonderig what hit me, I went in to get checked expecting to have a bridge or something in the front and some bonding on the gap between front teeth the disease created and found out I am losing my teeth which are not in great shape, but what a shock and depression is setting in hard! Still just wondering *** has just happened, and scared to death.

Last edited by DDJR; 08-18-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
(female)

kennedyjem HB User

wow i have pretty much the same question lol i just went yesterday for my full mouth extraction including my wisdom teeth i am also low income and where i went felt like dr deaths office....they gave me a paper and its sounds like the one they gave you ...talking about how to brush your teeth and other things that i was like what teeth i just wanna know when its safe to eat and drink i have been sucking on ice chips and finally can sip water this morning i woke up and went to make my coffee dont even know if i could drink it so thats when i got on here...anyways good luck let me know if ya find anything out thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouthyMom View Post
I just had full mouth extractions including impacted wisdom teeth performed on Friday (it's Monday now). The extraction of the top left wisdom tooth caused a small tear in the sinus. I am still quite swollen and sore, but I am told that is normal??? Anyway, the instructions I was sent home with are less than helpful as they seem to be for general periodontal surgery and not full mouth extractions. The instructions feature unhelpful advice such as "eat soft foods on the opposite side of your mouth". I haven't had anything that wasn't a liquid since Friday and family members keep telling me to eat soft foods, but I am afraid to. I don't want to do anything that might cause an infection or other problem.

Background details: I am 32-years-old and have not had any sort of dental or health insurance since I was 18. The gingivitis that was being treated in my teens progressed rapidly into peridontitis without dental care. Despite my best at home efforts, I found myself with teeth that were falling out due to the severe gum disease. Being a low income person, I have had to go to a dental school to have the extractions. My graduate student dentist is awesome and has provided excellent care. Unfortunately, phone communication with the dental school leaves something to be desired. There was no immediate denture placed to keep the cost down. I have to wait 6 weeks for everything to heal before I can be fitted for my dentures and in 3 months, I will have to go in for another surgery to have two implants placed on the bottom. I go in for a recheck on Thursday, but advice between now and then would be appreciated.

Anyway, I rinse 3 times a day with the prescription mouthwash he gave me. I take 800 mg of ibuprofen every 5 hours. I am on a strictly liquid diet that leaves me very lethargic. Is there anything else I could/should be doing? Any help or advice is great. Thank you.
Try salt water rinses as well (very healing)and get yourself on probiotics to counteract the antibiotics.
I've been taking a homeopathic remedy called injury/trauma complex that has really helped me with other surgeries. I order it online.
Lots of Vit C will help as well.
Frankly, I think ha;f of American dental problems is due to low grade scurvy from lack of enough Vit C.
Scurvy makes your teeth fall out.
Above all, listen to your body and rest if that's what it tells you to do. Don't over exert

Closed Thread